• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Black commits to BAMA

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Days after losing in-state five-star quarterback Jameis Winston to Florida State, Alabama went into the Sunshine State and plucked a five-star from the Seminoles as wide receiver Chris Black (Jacksonville, Fla./First Coast) verbally committed to Alabama during a nationally-televised broadcast on ESPNU.

“I am going to the University of Alabama,” Black said in an exclusive interview prior to his announcement. “I am going to roll with the Tide.”

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Black, who is the nation’s No. 2 wide receiver prospect according to 247Sports, said his decision between Alabama and the Seminoles was a difficult one.

“Throughout the process, everybody is going to have great facilities and great coaches and a lot of coaches are going to show you a lot of love,” Black said. “It was a real tough decision between Florida State and Alabama. It kind of came down to where my heart was and what school I felt comfortable with the next three or four years.”

Alabama’s depth chart played a factor. Two starters at receiver- Darius Hanks and Marquis Maze- are seniors this season.

“(Depth chart) definitely played a factor in my decision with those guys leaving next year,” Black said. “That’s what (Bama head coach) Nick Saban stressed to me.”

Though Alabama assistant Jeremy Pruitt, a national top 25 recruiter during the 2011 cycle according to 247Sports, was Black’s recruiter-of-record, Saban’s involvement was a huge factor. The Tide’s head coach was personally involved with the speedy receiver’s recruitment.

“It definitely made a statement to me just having the head coach the one that is actually recruiting me,” Black said. “Saban wanted me to be one of the few guys he recruited personally for this class. It meant a lot and showed me that they cared about me as a player.”

In fact, Alabama’s “whole staff” approach to Black’s recruitment was a big key.

“I would call (Pruitt) and the whole staff wants to talk to me,” Black said. “I talk to Jim McElwain, Mike Groh, etc. That kind of stood out to me as well.”

Black took an unofficial visit to Alabama this summer and from that point on, the Crimson Tide was in the driver’s seat to land him. 

“It wasn’t anything they did (on the visit),” Black said. “It was pretty much the same as my first two visits- just that feeling I get when I go there. Do I feel comfortable when I go there? That’s definitely the question I was asking and it got answered.”

Black’s relationship with Florida State assistant Lawrence Dawsey has been well-documented. The decision to spurn the in-state Seminoles was not one that Black is taking lightly.

“It was totally hard,” he said. “That’s probably the hardest part about the recruiting process. I have built relationships with several schools. It’s kind of hard to tell him I was going to play college football somewhere else.”

Black said he wasn’t going to completely rule out taking other visits down the road, but reiterated that this was his final decision.

“I am proud of my decision and I am confident in it and looking forward to being happy and making the best of it,” he said.

Now that his recruitment has ended, Black wants to focus on his senior season at First Coast.

“I am going to try to enjoy the rest of my high school season and hopefully lead my team to the state championship and hopefully prepare myself for the next level,” he said.