• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly is probably going to force his way out...

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..if this article is correct about why he turned down the Bucs in 2012.

Chip Kelly turned down Buccaneers because of personnel control - Bucs Nation

Seems like Howie & Lurie gave him a lot of control to convince him to come & after only 2 years are trying to take some back.

Eagles might be able to force him to coach this season but it probably wont be pretty.

I think Shurmur is the replacement HC if Chip hauks ass..him or Duce. Its been said a few times that Lurie insisted Duce stay on during the transition from Reid. Maybe Shurmur HC & Duce OC...

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what the situation is, if its this bad they wont force him to do anything. Kelly will just take a college job and move on. Either way if there is an issue I would bet this comes to a head quickly.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right. It is stupid of Lurie to make commitments and then reneg on them. With anybody, when you don't keep your promises, then you lose integrity, and any one of us that doesn't keep his word, then we're doomed to fail. this goes for everybody, and every time. So, Jeffrey better straighten this out, or it will prove that he is only interested in making as much money as he can, and not do everything he can to win. If that happens, then there will be a revolt with us as fans. that's what Braman did. He made a killing, and then got out of town. I had higher hopes for Lurie, but we shall see.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and Kelly won't turn down the Bucs now because they will have his QB.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing is Kelly just cant leave for another NFL team he has 3 years left on his contract. So unless Lurie lets Kelly go which he is not going to do, either Chip and Howie move on from this and learn how to work together or Kelly leaves to go back to college. Which he can do but the chances he ever gets another head coaching job in the NFL is slim at that point.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing is Kelly just cant leave for another NFL team he has 3 years left on his contract. So unless Lurie lets Kelly go which he is not going to do, either Chip and Howie move on from this and learn how to work together or Kelly leaves to go back to college. Which he can do but the chances he ever gets another head coaching job in the NFL is slim at that point.

Maybe Tampa Bay trades us a 2nd round pick this year, a player and next years #1 for Kelly.. and Howie says Seeya Chip!

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its way premature to suggest that Chip would leave over this. He is under contract for another three years, so he is not going to another NFL team. I think Lurie and Roseman both love the job he is doing coaching the team.

Obviously, this signifies being at least a little unhappy about how the scouting is being done. Evidently Gamble was listening to Kelly more than the Scouts and the Scouts were feeling marginalized. And with arguably poor results on drafting the last couple of years, Roseman and Lurie decided to fix that balance in favor of the scouting department.

I wouldn't expect Chip to be happy about this, but I also don't think there would be any serious consideration of leaving on either side for at least another year. They have been successful together and that is all that either side really wants. Now a 4-12 year or worse could change everything, but that is not where things are.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chip wants to leave I don't want him here. You either figure out how to get your guys in or you don't. Taking your ball and going home seems childish.

I think Gamble looked for higher positions elsewhere so we fired him. Happens all the time- you're here or you're not.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was fired because he was looking for jobs elsewhere. Had to be more than that.

Sadly there is a pattern of front office people not being able to work with Howie. Look at how many people have been through our front office.

Will Chip leave? I have no idea, but I have to say that if last year was Chip getting involved in personnel matters, we need less of that going forward.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip is not happy in Philly. Can't tell if it's because of the office or because he doesn't have a QB.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how so many see to know what is going on in Kelly's mind and how he is feeling. What he likes and does not like. How unhappy he is with recent decisions.

Also it is a little premature to suggest that Lurie reneged on promises to Kelly. If he was promised control if personnel that would be in his contract. If it is not then he was stupid to not have it in writing. What coach takes a job without all his promises in the contract. Also I am pretty sure that Lurie is done giving the coach full control after Andy Reid. Not a knock on Reid but the reality is that coaches need to coach....period.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how so many see to know what is going on in Kelly's mind and how he is feeling. What he likes and does not like. How unhappy he is with recent decisions.

Also it is a little premature to suggest that Lurie reneged on promises to Kelly. If he was promised control if personnel that would be in his contract. If it is not then he was stupid to not have it in writing. What coach takes a job without all his promises in the contract. Also I am pretty sure that Lurie is done giving the coach full control after Andy Reid. Not a knock on Reid but the reality is that coaches need to coach....period.

Jumping off bridges is what we do.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its no illusion that Chip & Gamble were very close. This is NOT gonna end well for the Eagles.

The last time there was a power struggle..Banner was gone & Reid a year after.

Eagles cant seem to get this shit right because they keep employing the salary cap guys as the GM & jettisoning good football guys. Ive always said you need football guys who are in step with the HC. Thats what the best teams have.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geoff Mosher of Comcast had a pretty good story which suggested the real problem is Lurie--he has set up this structure where the coach, GM and business side guy all report directly to him, and it creates a lot of infighting beneath Lurie. Lurie seems to like it, calling it "creative tension". He probably likes that it makes him the decider on all disputes, but people are calling it dysfunctional, and he almost always sides with Howie in the disputes.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Lurie is the new Jerry Jones.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip probably figured he could he do really well his first 2 years & then convince Lurie to push Howie out. I never thought Chip was the type to hitch his wagon to Howie.

IMO...Lurie fucked up here & our team will pay the consequences.

Chip Kelly is one of the best young coaches in the NFL & you just fired his right hand man. Doesnt get much dumber than that.

The dude won 20 games in 2 years with Vick, Foles, & Sanchez. Imagine if he actually gets a stud QB?

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Lurie needs to do is sit Chip and Howie down and talk it out like men.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll did it right. He got hired first & then brought in his own guy to be GM. Not coincidentally, Schneider got his start in scouting and they sure seem to be doing just fine.

Gotta have the GM & HC on same page. If not..sooner rather than later one will have to leave town & it rarely results in a Championship.

Lurie wont be able to force Chip to trust Howie. Especially after you fire his right hand man. lol.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Chip, but nobody hires a college coach to his first NFL job AND makes him the GM too. Suck it up buttercup, you are paid well and the only better spots in the NFL require a ring.