• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy Appears to be Heading for Washington; Matt Nagy to Replace him as OC in KC

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not sure how much should be made of calling/not calling plays. He could hire an OC that helps with calling plays. The real crux is whether or not teams feel he has the right plan, personality, and temperament to run a full squad. Being a good OC/DC does not guarantee being a good coach, nor does calling all of the plays.

It's got to be how he interviews, or what he's requesting in terms of control/personnel ... nothing else really makes a ton of sense.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But all that said I'd rather take a shot on this guy or Kellen Moore than bring in Brian Schottenheimer like the Cowboys did. Wow, that was a dumbass hire.
Well...the other side is teaching west coast concepts. The Dallas system has been Scott Linnehan' system for all these guys. McCarthy is calling play while Brian holds Dak's hand explains situational concept.

But, your version is better I'm sure for you.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's faced 2 issues IMO.

1) the Chiefs make a deep run in the playoffs every year, limiting teams to interview him and have to wait to hire him

2) he wasn't solely responsible for the offense. Reid still controls a lot of the offense, thus teams don't really know what they are getting with him. Is he the reason for the Chiefs offense, or is Reid? Thus the conundrum.

Now that he has full control as the OC in Washington, that answer will finally be answered.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. There's been a number of minority coaches hired as head coaches since Bienemy's name started to get throw out there. He must interview poorly.
And that pesky criminal record…

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's faced 2 issues IMO.

1) the Chiefs make a deep run in the playoffs every year, limiting teams to interview him and have to wait to hire him

2) he wasn't solely responsible for the offense. Reid still controls a lot of the offense, thus teams don't really know what they are getting with him. Is he the reason for the Chiefs offense, or is Reid? Thus the conundrum.

Now that he has full control as the OC in Washington, that answer will finally be answered.

His antics in college also might have contributed as well. Which is beyond stupid to punish him from shit he pulled 30 years ago. But that's the way the NFL operates.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's faced 2 issues IMO.

3. The best QB in the league
4. The best TE in the league
5. Top 5 OL in the league
6. Top 5 Def in the league

He couldn't F that up if he didn't show up for the games...

The ONLY way I take this job is if I KNOW for a fact Lamar Jackson was coming with me.... Otherwise he will never be heard from again going to Washington...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's faced 2 issues IMO.

He's failed 17 interviews.

They'll make excuses for him.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all too surprising... He has an other-worldly talent at QB, and an offensive guru at HC above him. Pretty damn cushy job IMO. I doubt even Matt Nagy could F that up lol

Which is probably a good reason why Bieniemy wants a parallel move to get more control, recognition, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong Chefs fans.
I totally agree.

Besides Nagy and Pederson getting fired, even casual fans are aware of Josh McDaniels' struggles without Tom Brady.

Throw in questions about Bill Bellichick and Sean Payton as well. What are these guys without some of the best QBs in history?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s see him turn Wentz into a good qb

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s see him turn Wentz into a good qb
Looks like they’re talking Sam Howell. That’s not to say that they can’t draft another QB this year. The Redskins have an out in his contract this year with no dead cap hit for voiding the last years on the deal. They will definitely move on.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's most likely the main reason is he's a poor interview.

It doesn't help that everyone knows Reid is running the offense and his coaching tree hasn't exactly been amazing.

But because the media is all about drama and sports media really feeds off of race drama they are going to continue to bang that racism card.

The problem is that it doesn't put focus on the real issue and that nepotism is a far larger issue preventing more minority coaches from rising the ranks than their race.

What should be looked at is how they can open the windows so to speak and get more fresh blood integrated in the coaching club. Having a Rooney rule or rewarding teams with draft picks isn't going to get coaches to take an unknown to them coach over a coach that can be vouched for by the other boys in the coaching club.

Not sure what the solution is but I always thought they should force all the NFL coaches to a week long workshop or whatever and invite a lot of new and up and coming coaches so they can spend a week talking ball and guys start to network. I would like to think that would cause coaches to take chances on guys outside their bubble if they got to know them and how they thing better.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't help that everyone knows Reid is running the offense and his coaching tree hasn't exactly been amazing.

But because the media is all about drama and sports media really feeds off of race drama they are going to continue to bang that racism card.

The problem is that it doesn't put focus on the real issue and that nepotism is a far larger issue preventing more minority coaches from rising the ranks than their race.

What should be looked at is how they can open the windows so to speak and get more fresh blood integrated in the coaching club. Having a Rooney rule or rewarding teams with draft picks isn't going to get coaches to take an unknown to them coach over a coach that can be vouched for by the other boys in the coaching club.

Not sure what the solution is but I always thought they should force all the NFL coaches to a week long workshop or whatever and invite a lot of new and up and coming coaches so they can spend a week talking ball and guys start to network. I would like to think that would cause coaches to take chances on guys outside their bubble if they got to know them and how they thing better.
Yeah, I can’t see it being about race either. Especially when the bears hired their black gm from the chiefs last season and the dude never even interviewed EB for HC. That ought to be a red flag for sure.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know nepotism is a problem with Paul Petrino is still employed.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sean McDermott, John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson, Ron Rivera, Todd Bowles, Leslie Frazier, Brad Childress, Matt Nagy, Steve Spagnuolo, Pat Shurmur.

I wouldn't shame that as a coaching tree but its also not bulletproof. This issue with a coaching tree is generally Peter Principle. Sometimes coordinators get elevated too far (Spags, Nagy, etc). Bieniemy just might not be head coach material.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid's coaching descendants have won two things so far (Pederson with Eagles, Harbaugh with Ravens). Pretty good IMO. Way better than the Belichick coaching tree.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but what if Mahomes doesn't like him? I doubt he would get the job in that case. This is a good move for Bienemy. One of the knocks against him is that most people give Reid all the credit for the offense. If he gets Washington's offense going he'll be a shoo in on the next hiring cycle.
I'm thinking that too and I know first hand. Nagy came from the same exact situation and when he didn't have Reid overseeing everything; Mahomes to run his offense through and KC's front office acquiring talent he didn't fare that well. I fear EB won't be able to turn around Was' offense in one year and that will be a mark against him; viewing it as further proof that it Bienemy is just a figure head at OC and then he definitely won't get a HC gig.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid's coaching descendants have won two things so far (Pederson with Eagles, Harbaugh with Ravens). Pretty good IMO. Way better than the Belichick coaching tree.
Reid's coaching tree has been amazing.

That was a wild claim.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain why it matters if a dude interviews poorly to become a head coach? If there is more then it makes sense but what the hell does it matter when we’ve had countless coaches fail when they interview “well” or coaches been offered jobs without an interview. This isn’t college so it’s not like he has to be out kissing donors asses and getting interviewed by parents.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain why it matters if a dude interviews poorly to become a head coach? If there is more then it makes sense but what the hell does it matter when we’ve had countless coaches fail when they interview “well” or coaches been offered jobs without an interview. This isn’t college so it’s not like he has to be out kissing donors asses and getting interviewed by parents.
Are you homeless or jobless? Did you tell your employer he's a dumb retard and you know best and want all the control? Lol nice fantasy.

The guy is giving 30 million to someone to coach his team and you don't think their interaction matters?