• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy Appears to be Heading for Washington; Matt Nagy to Replace him as OC in KC

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really odd that this guy hasn't gotten more of a look. Tied to a bunch of jobs, but never makes it through. Has to be more to the story - maybe he interviews poorly, wants too much control...??? Dunno....but, considering all the clamor he's gotten over the years about not getting looks, you'd figure by now someone would have hired him if he was even decent in the interview, right?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like we've seen the end of the Andy Reid coaching tree if the Chiefs coordinators are Nagy and Spags. Although I guess one them might replace Reid many years from now

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really odd that this guy hasn't gotten more of a look. Tied to a bunch of jobs, but never makes it through. Has to be more to the story - maybe he interviews poorly, wants too much control...??? Dunno....but, considering all the clamor he's gotten over the years about not getting looks, you'd figure by now someone would have hired him if he was even decent in the interview, right?
I completely agree. There's been a number of minority coaches hired as head coaches since Bienemy's name started to get throw out there. He must interview poorly.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all too surprising... He has an other-worldly talent at QB, and an offensive guru at HC above him. Pretty damn cushy job IMO. I doubt even Matt Nagy could F that up lol

Which is probably a good reason why Bieniemy wants a parallel move to get more control, recognition, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong Chefs fans.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all too surprising... He has an other-worldly talent at QB, and an offensive guru at HC above him. Pretty damn cushy job IMO. I doubt even Matt Nagy could F that up lol

Which is probably a good reason why Bieniemy wants a parallel move to get more control, recognition, etc.

I would agree on this to an extent, but guys with less coordinator experience have been hired before. And it's not like he's not getting looked out...he's had a ton of interviews.

So, I'd wager that wasn't a huge sticking point or they likely wouldn't interview him at all..unless they were just using him to satisfy the Rooney rule (which is completely ridiculous, but that is another topic for another thread). Or, maybe you are right - in so much that he wasn't able to adequately show what he does and how that equates to running a team...but again, I'd think that if it were an issue - he would be told that pretty much up front and not have gotten the interviews...

Who knows...LOL

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bieniemy was almost let go by the Chiefs last offseason because of disagreements with players and such. Specifically Mahomes.

He left the Chiefs before the Chiefs left him. Andy did this guy a service smoothing things over this season and allowing for him to maintain his reputation around the league.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree on this to an extent, but guys with less coordinator experience have been hired before. And it's not like he's not getting looked out...he's had a ton of interviews.

So, I'd wager that wasn't a huge sticking point or they likely wouldn't interview him at all..unless they were just using him to satisfy the Rooney rule (which is completely ridiculous, but that is another topic for another thread). Or, maybe you are right - in so much that he wasn't able to adequately show what he does and how that equates to running a team...but again, I'd think that if it were an issue - he would be told that pretty much up front and not have gotten the interviews...

Who knows...LOL
I agree... And I should have also mentioned that I would have taken Bieniemy in a heartbeat over the dude the Steelers have drawing up plays with crayons.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could be one of two factors or maybe even both:
1. His arrest record. It’s in the rear view and he’s turned it around but an organization could worry about that with a high profile hire.
2. The shadow of Andy Reid. Take Sunday for instance. The Chiefs protection scheme and sequencing was lights out. Most everyone will give Reid credit for that.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could be one of two factors or maybe even both:
1. His arrest record. It’s in the rear view and he’s turned it around but an organization could worry about that with a high profile hire.
2. The shadow of Andy Reid. Take Sunday for instance. The Chiefs protection scheme and sequencing was lights out. Most everyone will give Reid credit for that.
There's rumors of interviewing poorly which I would say could be the top factor.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he just stayed in KC.....he'd be Reid's heir apparent as HC.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he just stayed in KC.....he'd be Reid's heir apparent as HC.
Maybe, but what if Mahomes doesn't like him? I doubt he would get the job in that case. This is a good move for Bienemy. One of the knocks against him is that most people give Reid all the credit for the offense. If he gets Washington's offense going he'll be a shoo in on the next hiring cycle.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, Doug Pederson is the guy who figured out the motion issue. Bienemy saw it on film from when the Eagles played the Jags, but Pederson was the one who saw the exploit and first used it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's rumors of interviewing poorly which I would say could be the top factor.
That might explain one round in one year of hires. Dude has product on the field he can point to. Not about the interview at the end of the day.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he sucks.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if he ends up calling the plays we'll finally know if he is actually good or not and people can stop whining about him not getting a HC position.

Does seem like like it'd be hard to get a HC job as an OC when your head coach is the defacto OC and calls all the plays.

And yeah, maybe he interviews poorly too.

But all that said I'd rather take a shot on this guy or Kellen Moore than bring in Brian Schottenheimer like the Cowboys did. Wow, that was a dumbass hire.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might explain one round in one year of hires. Dude has product on the field he can point to. Not about the interview at the end of the day.
The offenses produces every year so what could be the issue if not his interview process?