• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Chiefs @ Fashion Illiterate Ballclub

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokes aside, this would be a nice game to pad the Chiefs lead in the division. The Denver defense isn't nearly what it was at its peak, but the front 7 can be a problem if allowed to be so Mahomes shouldn't necessarily count on the OL to block'em up like they mostly have the first 3 weeks. The Denver secondary and LB's can't really cover the Chiefs' passcatchers so there should be chances so long as Mahomes can get the ball out quickly.

Other notes: It sounds like Dee Ford could potentially play and the groin injury is not too terribly serious

Eric Berry didn't practice Thursday

Nor did Terrance Smith; do we see Dorian O'Daniel's debut this week?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Case Keenum is the first QB they're facing this year that imo is well below average so its a good litmus test for the defense.

Footballoutsiders has the Broncos 19th in pass D so far this year. I'd imagine they're looking for a statement game because if that stat holds for them this year then they're probably going something like 6-10.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Case Keenum is the first QB they're facing this year that imo is well below average so its a good litmus test for the defense.

Footballoutsiders has the Broncos 19th in pass D so far this year. I'd imagine they're looking for a statement game because if that stat holds for them this year then they're probably going something like 6-10.
Indeed.

I am really hoping we see more young players on D inserted into the lineup. Not much of a point to seeing never-beens in Terrance Smith out there for instance.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Earl Thomas now being off the table, any players that come to mind it'd make sense to look at? It's early- but Honey Badger I think makes sense as a rental.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking back at the film trying to find some blame on the Chiefs D and I'm seeing a lot of 7 man boxes and the Broncos just being more physical. Bowman misses one badly where he get hooked from the side and Fuller had the most obvious whiff early on but Ron Parker is actually the guy that fails at his job the most as far as I can tell.

Parker get wiped out early...twice...on a play where Lindsey just runs it up the middle.

On the play where the Broncos RB hits the edge surrounded by Chiefs players and scores the TD its Parker who should've made the play. One guy in front cut off the edge and the other guy took the block. Parker has the RB clean and instead gets swallowed up going to the edge and the gets wiped out of the play.

Fuller and Houston combined for a play that neither play identified on Emmanual Sanders easy run. If Houston sniffs that one out its a tfl but he makes 2 steps the wrong way and it opens up that whole side of the field.

Houston fails again on a swim move on the inside and Lindsey cuts it to the outside against the 7 man box...which means 'no one was there at all' and Lindsey had a huge play.

Fuller got sucked in on a throw that Keenum hit to his FB. It looked like the Broncos just ran a play designed to beat whatever defense the Chiefs were using.

Ron Parker gave up a play that kept the Broncos alive at the end and he also didn't rotate over to Demaryius Thomas who by all accounts should have won the game for the Broncos.

Its really hard not to think that a lot of the issues were by design because the Chiefs were protecting their CBs but Parker is just not the guy the Chiefs need here.

Surprisingly I think Houston struggled against the run, too. If either Parker or Houston plays better then I think the Chiefs win this one by a lot.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Footballoutsiders commentary on the Keenum drive:

"Keenum drove the offense to the Kansas City 28 but missed a golden opportunity deep down the right sideline to Demaryius Thomas. It makes no sense why defenses are playing Cover-2 against the top receiver on the field with the game on the line, but we'll get into that in the Atlanta recap."

I think they have a point. Cover 2 is mostly designed to stop the short passing game and has holes deep and the Broncos needed a TD to win. The Chiefs basically let Demaryius Thomas run free uncovered as Parker was covering the middle of the field which is what you'd normally expect to be open. It was bad execution of a bad playcall and probably 25+ teams make that TD throw.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ron Parker might secretly be on the Denver payroll. Its a testament to the rest of the team that they got the sweep because he has been unbelievably bad.