• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Chicago Bears @ Seattle Seahawks

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there's another "game thread" from Monday, but as a fan who didn't turn on the Seahawks when they were 2-14, I sure as heck am not going to turn on them due to 2 games after back to back SB appearances. I will not post on that thread, so I am going to do my usual game thread, even if I am the only one who wants to post on it.

Postives:

Jimmy Clausen - Is 1-10 in 11 career starts, and though not all of them were in Chicago, all of them were for John Fox. I believe him when he says that playing in Seattle doesn't concern him, though I just don't know if he's just dumb, or he realizes his team is playing so bad that it doesn't matter where they play.

CenturyLink - There's no place like home to come and fix a short 2 game losing streak. The place is gonna be jumpin' to help the defense out. Seattle is 24-2 @ CenturyLink the last 3 years with an average margin of victory of 15.6.

0-2 - It may sound strange that losing two games would be considered a positive, but this team thrives off negativity. They don't ever seem to kick it into high gear until they put themselves in a position that puts their back against the wall (or at least makes everyone doubt them).

Negatives:

Matt Forte - Forte is one of the better dual threat RBs in the league right now, and the Seahawks defense has been vulnerable to RBs thus far this season. Cunningham (122) and Starks (106) have helped opposing RBs go for 240 total yards in the first two games, and neither is their teams actual starter.

Kam Chancellor - It'll be nice to have him out there after his holdout, but I can see this not being a big a positive as some may hope. Earl Thomas has been a step slower than usual after sitting out all of training camp. I can see Kam needing a game or two to be back in game condition.

Jimmy Graham - I think there's more fan and media angst here than anything, but with reports that Graham is already upset after just 2 games can become a distraction. I don't see too much coming of it, and I imagine as soon as Wilson get comfortable with him, life will become better for everyone involved. Until that happens, it may get even more frustrating to not see as many targets to JG as many were hoping he'd get.

Matchups:

Matt Forte vs. Bobby Wagner - With your starting QB and top 2 WRs out, it would be a good time to lean heavily on your start RB. Wagner hasn't looked normal the first two games and the team is going to need him to not miss so many tackles today.

DB's vs. Kearse/Baldwin/Graham - Marshawn Lynch could find it hard to go against the #4 running defense (though Ratliff's out, and that could make all the difference), but the Bears pass defense has been atrocious. Seattle has thrown the ball more coming out the gate, we'll see if that continues against the Bear's defense.

Martellus Bennett vs. Kam Chancellor - Other than Forte out of the backfield, Bennett is really the only other threat in the passing game (Royal hasn't been much a factor, yet). Seattle has been weak against TEs in the past, and the middle of their zone has been soft for them, but with Chancellor back they may be able to change that.

Overview:

On paper this game should be an easy win for Seattle, especially with all the key injuries that the Bears have. Cutler may not be the best in the league, but he's a much better option than Clausen. The Bears defense isn't what it was under Smith, and they're missing the NT, which could be a killer against the likes of Lynch. This appears to be a game where all phases has a chance to get back on track and be the team we've watched the last 3 years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised you didn't mention that Lynch is dinged up in the negatives, but nice write as always!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle should destroy them.

With that said, I have been awful at picking games the last two years.....as soon as I think its an automatic, that shit flips on me, so...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised you didn't mention that Lynch is dinged up in the negatives, but nice write as always!

Thought about it, but he was dinged up for a lot of last season, and as much as he missed time, it really didn't slow him much. Until it shows that it's affecting his performance I really don't want to overreact. Also, I think this game is set up to be a game where he isn't needed as much.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagner has been fantastic in covering backs out of the backfield... Catching balls out of the backfield is a strength for Forte, as well as it is for Wagner in terms of covering backs out of the backfield... That will be a fun matchup to watch...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle 41-10...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
33-6 Seattle

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I personally want to see from Seattle this game:

1) Accuracy and ball protection from Russell Wilson. He's turned the ball over at least once in each of his last four games (dating back to last NFCCG) and his passer rating is 79.0. Pulling the ball back on the read option a little more and make the defense play Lynch honest would also be a bonus.

2) Pressure on Clausen. We were all excited about the potential of the pass rush, and though they have been solid, I would like to see more without having to worry that they're gonna jump offside to get it.

3) Limited big plays for Chicago. St. Louis (7) and Green Bay (4) had too many plays of 20 yards or more (not to mention several more for 15+).

4) Offensive line improvement. I thought the line had a very underrated performance last week. Russell had a good amount of time to pass much of the game. With Ratliff out, I want to see some better holes in the running game though.

5) Tackling improvement. Seattle was in position to stop some of those big plays and other important conversions, except their tackling hasn't been as good as it has been in the past. They could easily be 2-0 with good tackling, so don't let Chicago make big plays off missed tackles.

6) Put them away early. I know Seattle is a second half team, and that's actually how they like it, but get a lead early and build on it in the second half. Play four quarters of football, not just a few drives in each half.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job Rams, set your own field on fire. It's an interesting tactic to keep Roethlisberger off the field.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up man!

What I want to see ultimately:

The Seattle offense putting up more than 3 points in the first half. Don't care how it gets done, just do it!

Both the Seahawk Defense and Special Teams are going to be on point on today, lettuce see what the offense
can do! Air it out, mix it up Bevell! Get Graham and Lockett involved early!

Here's to an Injury free game! #GOHawks

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, Panthers. Penalty sets up re-kick after muffed punt pinned Saints inside 10 - obviously the re-kick was returned for a TD. Not what I needed this week.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keys to the game:

Offense. Get it going early - Bevell better not pussyfoot around with screens and dumpoffs and let Russell do his thing. Attack this Chicago defense and run your offense for the entire game like they have in the 3rd quarter the last couple weeks.

Defense - Pick up the pace/intensity and finish tackles. No YAC's (catch or contact).

Team - Play 60 minutes of football. We haven't seen that yet.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore challenges the call of a completed pass to Forsett. May be the first time I've seen a team challenge their own completion.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see this team come out like they did in the 2nd half last week, let Russell throw. I think Graham has a big game, 7/95/2

Hawks - 31
Bears - 13

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's go Hawks, make this game like home vs. Arizona 2012

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I'll even take the Buffalo game in 2012.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS forgot their mics for the crowd. Sounds like St. Louis on the TV

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00