• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers to announce they're moving to LA tomorrow

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers have wanted a stadium for 16 years, and there was some turmoil in city hall for a while there, but if you lived here you'd see that most of the efforts were half assed, and years went by with no effort at all, especially after the 2008 crash. In those 16 years do you know how many ballot initiatives we voted on? That's right, just one. And as I've explained, it was not the best deal on the table and was a city only vote.

And there is the problem - After 16 years - I expect that city hall and everyone else thought of the requests as more bullshit and didn't expect anything to change. They may have been blowing off the request because nothing was done for the last 16 years

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is the problem - After 16 years - I expect that city hall and everyone else thought of the requests as more bullshit and didn't expect anything to change. They may have been blowing off the request because nothing was done for the last 16 years
Pay attention bro. 16 years or not I already explained to you the proposal the city and county made. It was a good one and Spanos wanted no part of it. He CHOSE to forego the best option with the best chances of voter approval. I don't care how fucking long it took. The deal was on the table and he left it there.

Last edited:

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you need to know about Dean Spanos:

This is an owner that informed the fans of his decision through a letter, and didn't stand in front of a camera to explain himself like a man.

This is an owner that let his GM fire a coach that was 14-2 and replace him with Norv Turner.

This is an owner that opted to draft a replacement for Drew Brees, rather than have this offense on the field: Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Gates, and Tomlinson. (debatable I know, and I'm a huge Rivers fan)

This is an owner that inherited everything from his Daddy, and probably couldn't hold down a job at Walmart without his help.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay attention bro. 16 years or not I already explained to you the proposal the city and county made. It was a good one and Spanos wanted no part of it. He CHOSE to forego the best option with the best chances of voter approval. I don't care how fucking long it took. The deal was on the table and he left it there.
He obviously didn't like it and after 16 years of not getting a deal that was acceptable to him, He got tired of it. That happens. I haven't seen the logistics of the deal, but there must of have something that didn't look good to him. For as much as we know, he may even be stating his intention to move the team as a final push to negotiate a better deal in San Diego - This isn't a done deal yet

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He obviously didn't like it and after 16 years of not getting a deal that was acceptable to him, He got tired of it. That happens. I haven't seen the logistics of the deal, but there must of have something that didn't look good to him. For as much as we know, he may even be stating his intention to move the team as a final push to negotiate a better deal in San Diego - This isn't a done deal yet
$450 million of public money, county wide vote, 50% needed, .... I've explained all this. You have no attention span.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$450 million of public money, county wide vote, 50% needed, .... I've explained all this. You have no attention span.
I understand what you're saying - but that deal was not acceptable to Spano - I don't speak to him. Go tell him - He's the one you need to convince. For the record, however it is not uncommon for sport franchise owners to seek 100% financing for new facilities and I don't think 450 Million is nearly enough to complete the deal. Just saying -

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple economics - his team is worth more in Los Angeles than it ever could be in San Diego. Even paying a $650 million relocation fee is peanuts when his team's value can potentially double in sale with an LA zip code. There was jack shit the city could do to compete with that.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're saying - but that deal was not acceptable to Spano - I don't speak to him. Go tell him - He's the one you need to convince. For the record, however it is not uncommon for sport franchise owners to seek 100% financing for new facilities and I don't think 450 Million is nearly enough to complete the deal. Just saying -
So basically you're saying the city is to blame because they should have just bent over and let Dean do what he pleased with no lube. I disagree. The city had a very solid offer, and no city supplies 100% financing. Not one.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple economics - his team is worth more in Los Angeles than it ever could be in San Diego. Even paying a $650 million relocation fee is peanuts when his team's value can potentially double in sale with an LA zip code. There was jack shit the city could do to compete with that.
As I have said several times - I think the owner knows what he needs and wants. I figured there were several things he didn't like about the deal. It's a business - I feel for Charger fans, but what else can you do?:noidea:

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I'd respect him more if he got in front of a podium and just admitted it was all about money.