• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chaos reigns as the Rangers travel to face the Asterisks in H-Town: 7/23-25

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there’s no team friendly contract extension with Gallo and is about the same as a free agent I’d rather get some grade A prospects for him and sign some free agents this off-season and next.
plenty of money to play with.
2023 has almost no one on the books.
Let’s load that farm and then make some good calculated signings.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better get busy or back to square one

important to remember that we don't know what's being offered to the Rangers for any of our guys or how that stacks up to other teams. Rangers aren't in a position to demand a whole lot, and if a team can get something relatively comparable for cheaper from another team, the Rangers have no control over that.

As was discussed earlier, because of when he last pitched/would pitch again, I think if Gibson goes then it'll be before the deadline (his next start would be Friday I think). There's a 50/50 chance Gallo signs an extension during the ARI series. If not, then I think there's a 50/50 chance he gets traded and if that happens it'll be on Deadline day in my opinion.

And Kennedy, who I still keep forgetting even exists, will probably go during the ARI series as well.

I know there's not a lot at the MLB level to enjoy at the moment, but I'm being cautiously optimistic.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the transition process from JD to Young is an ongoing one. At this point, I would imagine Chris is more than a glorified assistant, but nowhere near being able to make trade decisions or free agent decisions. How long does the process take? Who knows. When Hart took a back seat we could kind of tell. Maybe it will be the same with J D.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
important to remember that we don't know what's being offered to the Rangers for any of our guys or how that stacks up to other teams. Rangers aren't in a position to demand a whole lot, and if a team can get something relatively comparable for cheaper from another team, the Rangers have no control over that.

As was discussed earlier, because of when he last pitched/would pitch again, I think if Gibson goes then it'll be before the deadline (his next start would be Friday I think). There's a 50/50 chance Gallo signs an extension during the ARI series. If not, then I think there's a 50/50 chance he gets traded and if that happens it'll be on Deadline day in my opinion.

And Kennedy, who I still keep forgetting even exists, will probably go during the ARI series as well.

I know there's not a lot at the MLB level to enjoy at the moment, but I'm being cautiously optimistic.
I don't see how extending Gallo can help the club. He has not done much so far and the way he goes up and down is not worth the money he likely will get. Extending him wipes out half our bargaining power to get prospects. We need to trade him period imo. It is priority #1 to bring in offense with power and some kind of stats and consistency. Joey can't provide either. He looks good lately because of all the walks and the hot streak he went on and is suddenly cooling off.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newberg says if we are tied with the Orioles at the end of the season we get to pick ahead of them.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much do you guys think it will take to sign Trevor Story for SS?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will depend on if he recovers from, what for him, is a down season so far.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
200 million for 7 years. Suppose to be a good fielder but led all SS in errors in 2020. Hits .243 away from Coors field through his career.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how extending Gallo can help the club. He has not done much so far and the way he goes up and down is not worth the money he likely will get. Extending him wipes out half our bargaining power to get prospects. We need to trade him period imo. It is priority #1 to bring in offense with power and some kind of stats and consistency. Joey can't provide either. He looks good lately because of all the walks and the hot streak he went on and is suddenly cooling off.
and extending him will result in JD doing absolutely nothing during the off season and us ending up next season the same team next season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the right price/length, a Gallo extension gives them a name to promote and great defense in RF, with a bat that produces in a very specific and non-traditional way. Gallo is a double-edged sword; you can't really say he's not worth extending without also saying he won't bring back much via a trade.

Reactions: DTC

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and extending him will result in JD doing absolutely nothing during the off season and us ending up next season the same team next season.
But why would JD need to do anything with the reports in the minors stocked with guys hitting home runs in every game, 500 foot homers, and strings of scoreless innings being pitched. Aren’t all the answers down there?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the right price/length, a Gallo extension gives them a name to promote and great defense in RF, with a bat that produces in a very specific and non-traditional way. Gallo is a double-edged sword; you can't really say he's not worth extending without also saying he won't bring back much via a trade.
That is a great take on the situation. They have to find out if they can extend him at a "decent" price and then pivot to see what they can get for him if they can't.

I would expect there has to be some sort of internal deadline for when they would have to make that pivot. I would think it would be today, but that is just a guess on my part.

Then again, they could just punt it on down the line and not do anything now.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why would JD need to do anything with the reports in the minors stocked with guys hitting home runs in every game, 500 foot homers, and strings of scoreless innings being pitched. Aren’t all the answers down there?

not to mention the fact that JD isn't the GM.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rangers are in prime position to take on money to get a better return. Either by taking back a salary, like is shown in this example, or by helping pay salary for someone we trade away, like the Pirates just did in their trade.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a great take on the situation. They have to find out if they can extend him at a "decent" price and then pivot to see what they can get for him if they can't.

I would expect there has to be some sort of internal deadline for when they would have to make that pivot. I would think it would be today, but that is just a guess on my part.

Then again, they could just punt it on down the line and not do anything now.

I'll reiterate my personal stance on Gallo... if he would accept 5/125, I do that in a heartbeat. I don't think Boras would let him (I think he'd push for at least 7 years), but at that length/AAV I'm OK with Gallo sticking around. Those would be his traditional "prime" years as a hitter, and that's the time all these young guys would be here and what I expect the beginning of our next window. But I don't go past 5 years and I don't go past $27m AAV with him.

And I'll add that I don't expect a king's ransom for him, either, should he be traded. He's a productive bat, but he is not an elite bat. Ohtani and Vlad Jr are examples of elite bats. Like DT said, he's inconsistent. He strikes out a ton, the OPS is good but the average is not great, he's streaky, and the shift absolutely kills him. He's got name recognition but names don't win games, production does. On top of that, the primary focus for teams this deadline is pitching, so the market for Gallo may not be what we assumed it would be.

I don't have any real attachment to Gallo (or Gibson, for that matter). This isn't like Darvish for me, when we traded him. Gallo leaving really wouldn't have much of an impact on me, and if he stays, as long as it's at a decent price then I'm fine with that too.