• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chancellor and Baldwin Gone

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The interior offensive line gave up 98 QB pressures which doesn't rank very highly.

The majority of this came in the early part of the season. Must've played 'above average' late to achieve "average" for the season? i recall in the first four games they were especially bad?

Anyway, while the interior O-line was 'average', the pass rush and RZ offense ranked near the NFL bottom. So given these choices, i'd have addressed pass rush and RZ too.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of this came in the early part of the season. Must've played 'above average' late to achieve "average" for the season? i recall in the first four games they were especially bad?

Anyway, while the interior O-line was 'average', the pass rush and RZ offense ranked near the NFL bottom. So given these choices, i'd have addressed pass rush and RZ too.

I don't disagree but hey added two players in free agency to help with the red zone in Coleman and Matthews, plus Samuels and Hurd. The red zone offense wasn't that much worse and as I've stated before improving the o-line helps the red zone offense as much as adding four skill players. The grades were as follows Richburg 51.9 bellow average, Tomlinson 64.2 average, Person 67.2 above average, Garnett 59.4 average. From looking at most of the playoff teams they all have average to good players but most of the starters are solidly in those rankings the 49ers are at the bottom of that range.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree but hey added two players in free agency to help with the red zone in Coleman and Matthews, plus Samuels and Hurd. The red zone offense wasn't that much worse and as I've stated before improving the o-line helps the red zone offense as much as adding four skill players. The grades were as follows Richburg 51.9 bellow average, Tomlinson 64.2 average, Person 67.2 above average, Garnett 59.4 average. From looking at most of the playoff teams they all have average to good players but most of the starters are solidly in those rankings the 49ers are at the bottom of that range.

The 49ers ranked i think 27th in the RZ, if we didn't draft Samuel nor Hurd, would we have improved to NFL 'average' this season? ie would we have EVER climbed from 27th to 16th using Coleman and Matthews?

i have never disagreed with the interior O-line, of course it would be nice to upgrade it. However, did this group rank 27th in the NFL? Again, you can only upgrade so many positions, and expecting to upgrade three O-line positions ON TOP of the RZ, is unreasonable.

If you look at O-line in a vacuum like you're doing now of course it looks disapointing. But now that the draft is over you have to look at the big picture. Like you i still have a little issue with the value, but after looking at the big picture it isn't so bad. i wish we could've improved O-line too, but you pick your poison and RZ was abysmal.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers ranked i think 27th in the RZ, if we didn't draft Samuel nor Hurd, would we have improved to NFL 'average' this season? ie would we have EVER climbed from 27th to 16th using Coleman and Matthews?

i have never disagreed with the interior O-line, of course it would be nice to upgrade it. However, did this group rank 27th in the NFL? Again, you can only upgrade so many positions, and expecting to upgrade three O-line positions ON TOP of the RZ, is unreasonable.

If you look at O-line in a vacuum like you're doing now of course it looks disapointing. But now that the draft is over you have to look at the big picture. Like you i still have a little issue with the value, but after looking at the big picture it isn't so bad. i wish we could've improved O-line too, but you pick your poison and RZ was abysmal.

I never said they could upgrade three O-Line positions but they should have tried improving at least one. The point was using all that draft capital and free agency capital to improve skill positions three of which are WR seemed like a wasted use of assets.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never said they could upgrade three O-Line positions but they should have tried improving at least one. The point was using all that draft capital and free agency capital to improve skill positions three of which are WR seemed like a wasted use of assets.

all of your post have "interior O-line" in it, how are people supposed to read that?

Again, the 3rd round pick does seem like a waste at WR? If you look at it all by itself, doesn't seem like maximizing value? But the draft is long over and in the big picture, it isn't as bad as i first thought. If you look at what Hurd brings and how bad our RZ was, it isn't as bad.

IMO it will be BAD if Hurd isn't a factor in the RZ? :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all of your post have "interior O-line" in it, how are people supposed to read that?

Again, the 3rd round pick does seem like a waste at WR? If you look at it all by itself, doesn't seem like maximizing value? But the draft is long over and in the big picture, it isn't as bad as i first thought. If you look at what Hurd brings and how bad our RZ was, it isn't as bad.

IMO it will be BAD if Hurd isn't a factor in the RZ? :-)

Well if you didn't read upgrade all three interior line positions then that isn't what a person is saying it's kind of simple really. Also the red zone won't improve if they can't get the play off because the QB is getting hit from pressure up the middle.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF ranked the 2018 49er oline 14th. While I would like to see an upgrade at OG, this offseason I still think the secondary was a bigger priority. The line struggled at the beginning of the season but played better as the season came along but Beathard will make many olines look bad with his poor pocket presence and tendency to hold onto the ball too long

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF ranked the 2018 49er oline 14th. While I would like to see an upgrade at OG, this offseason I still think the secondary was a bigger priority. The line struggled at the beginning of the season but played better as the season came along but Beathard will make many olines look bad with his poor pocket presence and tendency to hold onto the ball too long

Yes, the O-line started the season poorly, but they played better afterward.

Good point on Beathard, he does take longer to get rid of the ball and this doesn't help the O-line. Even though he's a 3rd round pick, you shouldn't hang on to him for this reason. IMO Mullens was clearly a better QB over Beathard.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the O-line started the season poorly, but they played better afterward.

Good point on Beathard, he does take longer to get rid of the ball and this doesn't help the O-line. Even though he's a 3rd round pick, you shouldn't hang on to him for this reason. IMO Mullens was clearly a better QB over Beathard.

I totally agree. I think Mullens earned being the second string QB over Beathard.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, so in the bigger picture, addressing the RZ (27th ranked in the NFL) isn't a bad move. That ranking was way worse than the O-line. Everything i've read on Hurd makes me think he'll be a factor in the RZ. Both Samuel and Hurd are more than the RZ, but they'll certainly improve the RZ offense.

All draft value being equal in Rounds 3 and even 4; would've drafted secondary before interior O-line. If it was a equal value between OT and secondary, i would've chosen OT.

In a draft vacuum, that is a different argument.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason they rank even remotely well is because they are good run blockers but terrible in pass protection and some of that will hopefully be fixed with Jimmy Garoppolo but not all. I still maintain that not improving this unit is going to hold them back from actually getting value out of their franchise QB or even keeping him on the field.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The O Line was average and the secondary was absolutely abysmal.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The O Line was average but the secondary was absolutely abysmal.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence they are backups. I dont think mullens looks all that bad compared to some of the other backups in the league
Not enough arm strength and his decision-making is not very good.........in my opinion. He did show some good things though. My problem though is with how fragile Garropollo is and so they need a good back up

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough arm strength and his decision-making is not very good.........in my opinion. He did show some good things though. My problem though is with how fragile Garropollo is and so they need a good back up

Unfortunately, most backup QBs in the league are flawed in one way or another. Seattle has Geno Smith and Paxson Lynch as backups. If a backup somewhere has the potential to be a good NFL starter, some team will throw money to get them.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, most backup QBs in the league are flawed in one way or another. Seattle has Geno Smith and Paxson Lynch as backups. If a backup somewhere has the potential to be a good NFL starter, some team will throw money to get them.
That's true. Remember the Matt Flynn fiasco in Seattle or the Matt Cassell fiasco in KC? One decent season as an unexpected backup, in Flynn's case it was only one game, that got them huge free agent contracts and both sucked badly as starters.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. Remember the Matt Flynn fiasco in Seattle or the Matt Cassell fiasco in KC? One decent season as an unexpected backup, in Flynn's case it was only one game, that got them huge free agent contracts and both sucked badly as starters.

Yes, exactly. And remember Kolb? If someone looks good for a spell teams will take him. Heck, the 49ers did the same thing with Jimmy G.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, exactly. And remember Kolb? If someone looks good for a spell teams will take him. Heck, the 49ers did the same thing with Jimmy G.
I still think Garropollo is going to be good. He just needs to stay healthy.