• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB players that were bigger than the game.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we must've had two different views of this. I view Bush as a CFB superstar, of course, but he's never been a bigger spectacle than guys like Tebow and Manziel. Usually when I think of guys that are "bigger than the game", I think of guys that are huge names on and off the field.

So the guy who's been in the NFL for ten years is just a CFB superstar but the one guy who's trying to make a team after being cut and out of the NFL for two years and the other who's back from rehab with a possibility of being cut if it doesn't happen this year aren't. Freakin Einstein.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the guy who's been in the NFL for ten years is just a CFB superstar but the one guy who's trying to make a team after being cut and out of the NFL for two years and the other who's back from rehab with a possibility of being cut if it doesn't happen this year aren't. Freakin Einstein.
I don't think you understand the point of the thread. Whenever Tebow or Manziel do anything, the media is all over it. That's what we're all getting at. Stop getting your little panties in a bunch over it. I already gave Bush his due.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we must've had two different views of this. I view Bush as a CFB superstar, of course, but he's never been a bigger spectacle than guys like Tebow and Manziel. Usually when I think of guys that are "bigger than the game", I think of guys that are huge names on and off the field.

But those guys, especially Manziel, had built in advantages, due to social media, and coverage of sports in general. There's just more outlets to garner coverage, than there even was just a decade ago. Given the era in which Bush played, I thought he was huge on and off the field. At his peak, in that time frame, he was on the same level as Kobe, Shaq, D Wade etc.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you understand the point of the thread. Whenever Tebow or Manziel do anything, the media is all over it. That's what we're all getting at. Stop getting your little panties in a bunch over it. I already gave Bush his due.

I think you don;t understand the point of this thread . It's about being bigger than the game not who you think was bigger than the game. You're not the final word even if you think you are. You can argue levels of fame between Bush , Manzel, Tebow but you have to take into account that in the past five years the social media explosion has helped push Manzel and Tebow into the spotlight but Bush was a national figure and the hollywood aspect made him a household name. Reggie Bush was a national figure not just a sports figure for quite a few years. You forget the whole spectacle about him having to return the Heisman.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you don;t understand the point of this thread . It's about being bigger than the game not who you think was bigger than the game. You're not the final word even if you think you are. You can argue levels of fame between Bush , Manzel, Tebow but you have to take into account that in the past five years the social media explosion has helped push Manzel and Tebow into the spotlight but Bush was a national figure and the hollywood aspect made him a household name. Reggie Bush was a national figure not just a sports figure for quite a few years. You forget the whole spectacle about him having to return the Heisman.
This makes no sense. The whole point of a message board is to give opinion. It's not like any of this is fact. You do understand that, right?

Like I said, guys like Manziel and Tebow are in the news constantly. Manziel has died down a bit, but as soon as Tebow came back with the Eagles, media outlets across the country were all over it. However, when Bush signed with the 49ers, it was a note on the bottom line of Sportscenter, and that's about it. Honestly, I forgot all about him returning the Heisman until you just said something. Maybe they'll do a 30 For 30 about him some time, but otherwise, Bush is not, and never has been, bigger than the game.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But those guys, especially Manziel, had built in advantages, due to social media, and coverage of sports in general. There's just more outlets to garner coverage, than there even was just a decade ago. Given the era in which Bush played, I thought he was huge on and off the field. At his peak, in that time frame, he was on the same level as Kobe, Shaq, D Wade etc.
It isn't like Bush was 20 years before Tebow. We're talking a difference of like 3 years. It was a big deal when Mario Williams got picked over Bush, and since then Bush really hasn't been in the media at all. Guys like Manziel and Tebow, however, are on TV all the time. That's what this is about - guys who are football players but get insane amounts of attention and are recognized above and beyond that.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he was, among college football fans. However, where is he now? Ask a 16 year old girl who doesn't know football and she has no idea who that is. However, she knows who Tim Tebow is more than likely. Bush was a big-time player when he was in college, but he was never bigger than the game.
When that many people in a state on the opposite coast that don't watch college football were talking about reggie bush..... I would say he's bigger than the game Bush was A huge topic in NY amongst everyone even coworkers who didn't watch any sports knew who Bush was :L

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When that many people in a state on the opposite coast that don't watch college football were talking about reggie bush..... I would say he's bigger than the game Bush was A huge topic in NY amongst everyone even coworkers who didn't watch any sports knew who Bush was :L
Ok great, as I said, while he was in college he was a superstar. The same thing can be said about someone like Terrelle Pryor. I wouldn't really consider him being "bigger than the game", he was just a really well-known player in his day.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok great, as I said, while he was in college he was a superstar. The same thing can be said about someone like Terrelle Pryor. I wouldn't really consider him being "bigger than the game", he was just a really well-known player in his day.
Whos terelle pryor The OSU Qb that got rolled by USC :noidea: Bush was A whole world apart from pryor people that didn't watch CFB would watch highlights to see what bush did on saturday

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whos terelle pryor The OSU Qb that got rolled by USC :noidea: Bush was A whole world apart from pryor people that didn't watch CFB would watch highlights to see what bush did on saturday
:L
Dude, you don't get it. Yes, he was a superstar. Yes, when he was in college he was very well-known. He's not the first player like that, nor will he be the last. However, he is just that - a former college superstar. He doesn't have a persona outside of those years at USC. He has had a decent, albeit quiet, NFL career outside of the drama of the draft when Houston passed him over. That doesn't make him "bigger than the game".

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L
Dude, you don't get it. Yes, he was a superstar. Yes, when he was in college he was very well-known. He's not the first player like that, nor will he be the last. However, he is just that - a former college superstar. He doesn't have a persona outside of those years at USC. He has had a decent, albeit quiet, NFL career outside of the drama of the draft when Houston passed him over. That doesn't make him "bigger than the game".
This thread is about CFB players that were bigger than the game. Did you follow Boz's or Marinovich's NFL careers :doh:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is about CFB players that were bigger than the game. Did you follow Boz's or Marinovich's NFL careers :doh:
No, those were 20+years ago when I was 9-10 years old. However, all you need to say is "The Boz" and people know, without a shadow of a doubt, who you're talking about and who he was. When you say "Reggie", it doesn't narrow anything down. Hell, until it was brought up earlier, I had completely forgotten that he gave back his Heisman.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, those were 20+years ago when I was 9-10 years old. However, all you need to say is "The Boz" and people know, without a shadow of a doubt, who you're talking about and who he was. When you say "Reggie", it doesn't narrow anything down. Hell, until it was brought up earlier, I had completely forgotten that he gave back his Heisman.
Bush is comparable to both Boz and Marinovich. You may want to research Boz and Marinovich a bit. Both were bigger than the game and hyped like bush in college. Boz's most memorable moment in the nfl was being drug by Bo Jackson. Marinovich's s biggest achievement was getting high and surfing without clothes on because he had daddy issues :L

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush was bigger than the game he was the spotlight in CFB during his time at USC

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes no sense. The whole point of a message board is to give opinion. It's not like any of this is fact. You do understand that, right?

Like I said, guys like Manziel and Tebow are in the news constantly. Manziel has died down a bit, but as soon as Tebow came back with the Eagles, media outlets across the country were all over it. However, when Bush signed with the 49ers, it was a note on the bottom line of Sportscenter, and that's about it. Honestly, I forgot all about him returning the Heisman until you just said something. Maybe they'll do a 30 For 30 about him some time, but otherwise, Bush is not, and never has been, bigger than the game.
It makes perfect sense when you go by the OT and draw your analysis based on the comparison of other players who are considered bigger than the game during their college careers

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush was bigger than the game he was the spotlight in CFB during his time at USC
So you're telling me that every college football player that is the most popular in the game at the time is bigger than the game by default? It makes no sense. You're a USC fan, so I get it that you're biased.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brook Berringer posthumously.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Twitter and instagram weren't even around in 2005-2006 so you can't compare Bush and manzel by the social media buzz.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me that every college football player that is the most popular in the game at the time is bigger than the game by default? It makes no sense. You're a USC fan, so I get it that you're biased.

Was on the most publicized team in college football at the time, was on TMZ all the time , people magazine, won a Heisman , lost a Heisman dated Kardashian. Come on dude he was more than just the most popular player. Get out of your house once in a while.