• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB players that were bigger than the game.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Hernandez?

Didn't he murder (allegedly) some dude while at Florida and it's just now catching up with him. Maybe he falls more under the category of "thinks he is bigger than the game" but actually isn't.

Disclaimer: didn't read every post in the thread

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Hernandez?

Didn't he murder (allegedly) some dude while at Florida and it's just now catching up with him. Maybe he falls more under the category of "thinks he is bigger than the game" but actually isn't.

Disclaimer: didn't read every post in the thread
did you change screen names?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd disagree, Reggie Bush was the first person that came to mind. Him and Michael Vick transcended college football the most IMO, at least in my lifetime of watching college football.
That's the point... you watch college football. People who didn't watch really didn't know Bush that much. He was never a polarizing media figure, and since being drafted, he's faded from the public by and large. People like Tebow, however, are media draws no matter what and will always be known by people who don't even watch football.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in NY and he was a household name
I'm sure he was, among college football fans. However, where is he now? Ask a 16 year old girl who doesn't know football and she has no idea who that is. However, she knows who Tim Tebow is more than likely. Bush was a big-time player when he was in college, but he was never bigger than the game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is bigger than the game, but some are big outside and beyond the game.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point... you watch college football. People who didn't watch really didn't know Bush that much. He was never a polarizing media figure, and since being drafted, he's faded from the public by and large. People like Tebow, however, are media draws no matter what and will always be known by people who don't even watch football.
I kind of side with this.

Maybe Bush is in on like 4th or 5th ballot. He was no Marinovich in re: to this category.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought this was during their college careers, not what they did after that. Maybe I misunderstood the OP?

Also, Tebow had the advantage of entering the league as Twitter exploded onto the scene, and the coverage of sports has never been as high as it is now, which also helps Tebow. Let's not forget Bush is entering into his 10th NFL season, at his peak, 2004-2007, there may have been only 2-3 more recognizable people in ALL of football. And those years coincided with his last couple years in college and his rookie year in the NFL.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was during their college careers, not what they did after that. Maybe I misunderstood the OP?

Also, Tebow had the advantage of entering the league as Twitter exploded onto the scene, and the coverage of sports has never been as high as it is now, which also helps Tebow. Let's not forget Bush is entering into his 10th NFL season, at his peak, 2004-2007, there may have been only 2-3 more recognizable people in ALL of football. And those years coincided with his last couple years in college and his rookie year in the NFL.
I think we must've had two different views of this. I view Bush as a CFB superstar, of course, but he's never been a bigger spectacle than guys like Tebow and Manziel. Usually when I think of guys that are "bigger than the game", I think of guys that are huge names on and off the field.