• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB players that were bigger than the game.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boz and Marinovich didn't have Twitter.

Look, Reggie Bush may very well be the most dynamic cfb player this century.

But I honestly don't think he was bigger than the game.

Certainly not Tebow or Manziel level.

Yeah and Bush didn't have Twitter either during his college career.

Also, Boz, Marinovich and Manziel were all a mess off the field, which in turn lead to more coverage.

Bush didn't do all the antics those guys did either, which drew attention.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he was. But so what?

Marinovich was bigger than the game. Doesn't matter why. He just was.
I agree he was bigger than the game but it was not due to performance. The guidelines for bigger than the game surpass performance

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't true. People will still be talking about Manziel. In re: to this topic, his NFL failure fits perfectly in line with past players that were 100% bigger than the game.

The only coverage he'll get if he continues to suck will be how much of a bust he was. In other words he'll be Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell. So then yes, those guys are mentioned every once in a while with how much of a bust they both were.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Boz, Marinovich and Manziel were all a mess off the field, which in turn lead to more coverage.

Nailed it. 3 of the most polarizing figures in cfb.

"Bigger than the game"

Tebow was for the exact opposite reason.

All will or have had movies/docs made about them.

Bush will be featured in one on USC's dynasty. There is a difference.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush was CFB in his tenure at USC. On and off the field.He received more attention than Leinart and Carrol

Did Pete Carroll ever get arrested for throwing Lendale White off of that roof?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Bigger than the game"

Bush will be featured on several levels including the death sentence. One of the biggest punishments in USC and NCAA history His college career will always be A major topic

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he was bigger than the game but it was not due to performance. The guidelines for bigger than the game surpass performance
They often do.

But let's not pass off Marinovich as a scrub while at SC.

His Freahman year was pretty damn special. Soph could have been w/out clown shoes as coach.

I bet if Carrol would have been Marinovich's HC he would have been a Heisman and won NTs.

Carrol was a players coach. Clown shoes was a tyrant.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush will be featured on several levels including the death sentence. One of the biggest punishments in USC and NCAA history His college career will always be A major topic
Featured. But the movie/doc won't be a story about him. Like Marinovich and Boz and soon to be Tebow and Manziel.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Bigger than the game"

I guess Bush should have been addicted to cocaine, alcohol, or take roids to get noticed more?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They often do.

But let's not pass off Marinovich as a scrub while at SC.

His Freahman year was pretty damn special. Soph could have been w/out clown shoes as coach.

I bet if Carrol would have been Marinovich's HC he would have been a Heisman and won NTs.

Carrol was a players coach. Clown shoes was a tyrant.
Carrol was one of the best coaches. Im not sure anyone could fix Marinovich tho. Its actually pretty sad all the talent in the world. But his father and the media broke him

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Bush should have been addicted to cocaine, alcohol, or take roids to get noticed more?
I don't know what controls these things. And I wish players like Bush, Archie Griffin, Mariota, AJ, etc were the guys tat were bigger than the game. But that isn't the case.

Also, Tebow didn't have to do drugs to be BTTG

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The drugs might have helped Ron Powlus out!:D

:lou:

:peep:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Claisen, thought for sure he would take the flurry by storm.

He needed coke or to party more I guess. Should have got a Bentley or some such.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a great way to look at it is this.

Ask yourself in the mass public's eyes.... Was it more about the player or the team?

In 2004-2007 SC's case it was the team. Bush being the best on team, for that matter in the country.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WhiteMamba I'm trying to explain it to these guys, so tell me if this is what you were getting at -

While Reggie Bush was in college, he was a huge story because he was a superstar athlete and wildly successful. Once he went into the NFL, his star faded.

While Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel were in college, they were huge stories because they were superstar athletes and wildly successful. Once they went into the NFL, their stars continued shining insanely bright, with media members largely trying to even make the most minute details into stories just so they could continue to talk about them.

This is the difference I've been trying to explain. If I'm missing something, let me know.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a great way to look at it is this.

Ask yourself in the mass public's eyes.... Was it more about the player or the team?

In 2004-2007 SC's case it was the team. Bush being the best on team, for that matter in the country.
Bush had high school kids in NY painting the 619 in their eye black :nod:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WhiteMamba I'm trying to explain it to these guys, so tell me if this is what you were getting at -

While Reggie Bush was in college, he was a huge story because he was a superstar athlete and wildly successful. Once he went into the NFL, his star faded.

While Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel were in college, they were huge stories because they were superstar athletes and wildly successful. Once they went into the NFL, their stars continued shining insanely bright, with media members largely trying to even make the most minute details into stories just so they could continue to talk about them.

This is the difference I've been trying to explain. If I'm missing something, let me know.
That concept would remove Boz and Marinovich from the list tho. Their stars collapsed when they hit the NFL

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I will say is I agree with this and I still can't go a day watching ESPN w/out hearing theses QBs names.