• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB has basically become the SEC,Clemson, and Ohio State

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, once coaches retire or move around the landscape will change once again

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlikely unless the next QB plays out of his mind. Oregon should still win the conference, but they'll lose to OSU and at least 1 game in conference.
Yeah, they proved they could throw in a clunker this year. Maybe, someone else will step up. The ACC, the Big 12 and the PAC 12 really need 2-4 teams to step it up a notch or two.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just pointing out that no matter how it looks on paper, favored teams almost never run the conference slate. Even when they are heavy favorites.

Some of it is depth/ injuries which is always an issue. Pac teams aren't nearly as deep as the national brands. Some of it is the very different schemes on both sides of the ball. It's very hard to excel above all of them even if you have more talent across the board.

It's just super rare.

The ducks got away with it in '10 because no one could solve the hurry up. Once teams had a plan for it someone bit them every year thereafter.

I agree with your every word. It is really hard and therefore very rare. Nearly every team needs to get at least one break … lucky bounce, opponent's stupid mistake, or just an exceptional play from one of your own … to run the conference. I cant count all of the breaks that we have gotten over our great runs. I also believe that at times you can create your own luck.

That being said, using Wiki to review the last five seasons only one PAC season had a team that was more that one stop away from being undefeated in PAC play(regular season):
2015 Stanford- one loss to Oregon 36-38
2016 Colorado one loss to USC 17-21
2016 Washington one loss USC 13-26
2017 USC one loss Washington State 27-30
2018 everyone had at least two losses but
2018 Washington two losses by a total of 5 points and one loss by 3 in OT
2019 Utah- one loss USC 23-30
2019 Oregon one loss to ASU 28-31

IMHO this confirms your point as well as illustrates mine. Yes it is very difficult to run the conference schedule in the regular season. Yes, losing a OOC game removes all room for error. None of the PAC teams individually are consistently a play away but almost every year the PAC has a team that is. Sooner or later that extra bounce, penalty, great play, and/or coaching call will go in the right direction. I hope it is this year because all of college football would benefit.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they proved they could throw in a clunker this year. Maybe, someone else will step up. The ACC, the Big 12 and the PAC 12 really need 2-4 teams to step it up a notch or two.

We'll see how Utah does against Texas. Certainly they can be that #2 team.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll have an off game. They almost always do.
Yeah, nearly every team has at least one clunker of a game. Some are able to stumble through it and get a win ala It helps when the clunker comes against one of the really bad teams in the conference. If you stumble against one that is decent and a problematic nightmare, you usually don't get through it or barely do. Clem vs UNC and OU vs K-State this year. Clem got through it and OU didn't.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, nearly every team has at least one clunker of a game. Some are able to stumble through it and get a win ala It helps when the clunker comes against one of the really bad teams in the conference. If you stumble against one that is decent and a problematic nightmare, you usually don't get through it or barely do. Clem vs UNC and OU vs K-State this year. Clem got through it and OU didn't.

To be honest, Oregon escaped versus WSU, UW, and Cal this season. Any of those 3 could have been losses.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how Utah does against Texas. Certainly they can be that #2 team.
Texas ain't very good. Not bad by any means but they can look very pedestrian a lot of the time. They were awful against TCU and Baylor.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, Oregon escaped versus WSU, UW, and Cal this season. Any of those 3 could have been losses.
I hear ya. Check out Baylor's season. Talk about living on the edge. They were just some bad calls being reversed and a couple of breaks going the other way and they are 8-4. Razor thin wins against the likes of Tech, TCU and West Virginia. And a close win against a good ISU team as well.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas ain't very good. Not bad by any means but they can look very pedestrian a lot of the time. They were awful against TCU and Baylor.

Sure, but if Utah comes out and dominates (especially defensively), that will help conference perception.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you have a win probability in every game of 90% by the time you play 12 games your probabiloty of being undefeated is less that 8%. That is why it is nearly impossible to end up with 5 undefeated teams(The CFP nightmare).

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you have a win probability in every game of 90% by the time you play 12 games your probabiloty of being undefeated is less that 8%. That is why it is nearly impossible to end up with 5 undefeated teams(The CFP nightmare).

I think it's happened a couple seasons in the BCS era...definitely not ideal.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. Check out Baylor's season. Talk about living on the edge. They were just some bad calls being reversed and a couple of breaks going the other way and they are 8-4. Razor thin wins against the likes of Tech, TCU and West Virginia. And a close win against a good ISU team as well.

Baylor really isn't all that good, but they do play some defense. Rhule has that side of the ball playing hard; you have to give him a lot of credit for that.

Georgia has them severely out-talented in that game, but both offenses are a bit inept. Not sure Georgia has a lot to play for, while Baylor is a team looking for more. Could be the difference unless UGA can get on them early.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but if Utah comes out and dominates (especially defensively), that will help conference perception.
I guess it could with some people. I would think most true CFB fans know beating Texas isn't the notch in the belt it previously was.

I will say they gave LSU a lot better game than OU did!

That ought to stir up the dirt burglar faithful.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor really isn't all that good, but they do play some defense. Rhule has that side of the ball playing hard; you have to give him a lot of credit for that.

Georgia has them severely out-talented in that game, but both offenses are a bit inept. Not sure Georgia has a lot to play for, while Baylor is a team looking for more. Could be the difference unless UGA can get on them early.
I agree totally with your first part. Baylor's defense does play hard. And Baylor's offense was painful to watch at times. Their offensive line wasn't too swift in several games.

I also think Georgia will be disappointed again like they were against Texas. But Baylor may not be able to handle all the talk around Rhule leaving either. Sugar Bowl might not end up being too good.