• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CBA Talks

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more boring pitcher's at bats sure is exciting
I liked it how it was, with the DH in one league and not the other.... variety and quirkiness is what makes baseball unique

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it how it was, with the DH in one league and not the other.... variety and quirkiness is what makes baseball unique

I would agree with you in quirkiness and intrigue, if the league wide BA for pitchers in 2019 wasn't .131. That is objectively awful to watch.

Edit: .103 last season. Yeesh

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I liked the strategery of figuring out when to put a real hitter in.

The beginning of the game.

giphy.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I liked the strategery of figuring out when to put a real hitter in.
And the pitcher slot affects what kind of hitter you put in the 7 and 8 slots. OBP guys in those slots are almost worthless.

And if you are in the 6th inning (4th inning these days) and your pitcher is rolling, but he is due up now with 1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd, do you take him out to take advantage of this situation? Those cost/benefit decisions are what makes baseball awesome.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the pitcher slot affects what kind of hitter you put in the 7 and 8 slots. OBP guys in those slots are almost worthless.

And if you are in the 6th inning (4th inning these days) and your pitcher is rolling, but he is due up now with 1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd, do you take him out to take advantage of this situation? Those cost/benefit decisions are what makes baseball awesome.
As I said, having both rules was great, you could enjoy both styles. No longer...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about getting rid of the lineup entirely. Allow the Angels to send Trout up every time. I would rather see Trout hit than watch Fletcher try to hit.
You always do the reductio ad absurdum tactic...not every small change is actually a much bigger change

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always do the reductio ad absurdum tactic...not every small change is actually a much bigger change
Extrapolation of the DH argument.

And implementing the DH league wide is not a “small change”.

And I never always do anything.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, because there's an automatic out waiting to "hit" behind them.

God forbid all 9 guys are asked to be minimally adequate. Lineup strategy is interesting, but it's not that interesting. It doesn't justify the black hole at #9 who is only even barely worth watching only with less than 2 outs and runners on.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extrapolation of the DH argument.

And implementing the DH league wide is not a “small change”.

And I never always do anything.
Extrapolation to an absurd end is the logical fallacy known as reductio ad absurdum.

And a DH is a hell of a lot smaller change than getting rid of the batting order entirely, as if that is being considered by anyone

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because there's an automatic out waiting to "hit" behind them.

God forbid all 9 guys are asked to be minimally adequate. Lineup strategy is interesting, but it's not that interesting. It doesn't justify the black hole at #9 who is only even barely worth watching only with less than 2 outs and runners on.
The best part of the old way was you had both styles available. If you love the DH or hate it, you had games to watch either way.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that it is unlikely and probably would never be agreed upon by the MLBPA... but it would be great for the owners, and anything that would PUSH college ball would be even better... If we can shrink how many minor league teams, that would be ideal for baseball... age minimums are the easiest way to do that...

also, less minor leagues would be great for the players too... because there are other professional leagues they can join if they really want to play baseball... minor leagues and the dream to play for the majors is why people stay so long in the minors...
I don't really see how less minor league affiliates would benefit owners. Minor league teams bring in revenue. I am not on board with forcing a kid to play college ball for no real reason either. If he's a top prospect out of high school. Let him go play and make money. No need to go through the formality of school and risk millions/draft stock with a potential injury.

I don't see the relevance of the last point you make. Some guys play in the minors for a long time. So, it benefits this small demographic of older minor league players if it doesn't exist? Because... why? They don't have a team to play for with an MLB affiliate? Therefore, it's good for them they don't have a dream to cling onto? lol. Somehow, this also means that these minor league teams shouldn't exist for the majority of minor league players? Which are young?

I just don't see where any of your points connect my man.