• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs Look to Trade Haywood + Pick for Player

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I thought this was Cavs best chance to win. they are in big trouble with tax money. No way he would pay that much tax. Its really time to think about Love or Thompson. Cant have them both. Cavs are going to have a rough off season. They went all in this year and came up short.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. He already said he would come out and pay that much in Tax if it meant winning a championship. Why don't you do a little research before coming in another thread to shit on the Cavs.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Days after the end of the Finals, the Cleveland Cavaliers are working on upgrading their roster by shopping the potentially valuable contract of Brendan Haywood, and -- in some cases -- offering it along with the 24th overall pick in Thursday's draft, sources told ESPN.com.

Haywood's $10.5 million contract is not guaranteed for next season if he's waived by Aug. 2. This could be attractive to a team looking to either offload salary now or use it as part of another deal that could be executed during free agency in July.

This should be very interesting. OBVIOUSLY Dan G. does not care about cash at all. LOL.... if he resigns everyone and makes this trade for a decently hefty salary his payroll is going to EASILY be the highest of all time. WOW- Hats off to Dan- you have to love an owner who values winning over money and who will never let an opportunity slip away because of cost. Lets see who David Griffin can make a deal with. OR- is everyone thinking what I am thinking and that DAvid Griffin is really doing nothing and LeBron is orchestratng the whole entire trade and Griffin is no more than a mouth piece.

I wonder what position they are even looking at. My guess would be either either backup PG or backup SF......a solid backup SF that coul defend and take pressure off Bron would be really nice. A combo guard like a Mo Williams would be really nice in the ack court though too- that could run the point, but also spread the floor ....we shall see
Thank you for the news, an interesting read and I hope we trade him. Gilbert will be the Lux Tax but it'd be nice to get his 10mil off the books. Giving away a first means we really are in win now mode which I have NOTHING against. Now is our best shot. Especially next year.

Good start of a thread but of course the usual suspects are here to turn this thread upside down :L

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize there's a cap and a point where they can't take on any more salary, regardless of how much money Gilbert has, right? The Cavs are at $72 million in salary right now. That's without the expected opt outs of Love and Lebron and with 5 other players not signed yet.

The Clippers owner is worth $22 billion and adding any more players is going to be next to impossible because of the cap.

Arison seems to be worth at least as much as Gilbert, yet the Heat can't just pay whoever they want either.

The Lakers have a deal with Time Warner that covers the cost of all salaries, plus any resultant luxury tax penalties and still have plenty of money left over. Yet, they can't just throw as much money as they want at whoever they want either.

What an owner is worth isn't the issue. All of those guys are billionaires. The issue is the cap and how it restricts teams.

In short, there's a whole lot more for the Cavs to worry about than what superstar they will sign.
Yes I know there's a cap. This had nothing to do with that. purguy was insinuating there was going to be problems for Cleveland with the tax they have to pay. That was my point - even the heftiest luxury tax doesn't mean shit, he'll pay it.

There really isn't anything for Cleveland to worry about. They're going to end up still signing a damn good team and contending next year again.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Lakers I'd trade Swaggy P for him then not take the option. Clear up even more money for FAs. With them not keeping Hill and then Heyward they would have almost $41 mill to play with and pick up pieces. 3 first rounders this year would really help the rebuilding process. Swaggy P doesn't fit into the style the Lakers want to play. But he would be a good role player for the Cavs.

No thanks, keep him.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I know there's a cap. This had nothing to do with that. purguy was insinuating there was going to be problems for Cleveland with the tax they have to pay. That was my point - even the heftiest luxury tax doesn't mean shit, he'll pay it.

There really isn't anything for Cleveland to worry about. They're going to end up still signing a damn good team and contending next year again.

I agree they will pay whatever they need to to try to win next year. He has no choice.
If they try and fail though, that's where the problems will lie moving forward.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they will pay whatever they need to to try to win next year. He has no choice.
If they try and fail though, that's where the problems will lie moving forward.
Well to be fair, this is the same with every team in the league.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not as much as Cleveland given they won't have much flexibility in 2016 when that cap goes up and they'll be tied into some big deal contracts (this is assuming that Kevin Love re-signs with Cleveland). Also, before Wiggy chimes in saying that 2016 free agent class is full of scrubs, I wouldn't call Durant and Anthony Davis scrubs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as much as Cleveland given they won't have much flexibility in 2016 when that cap goes up and they'll be tied into some big deal contracts (this is assuming that Kevin Love re-signs with Cleveland). Also, before Wiggy chimes in saying that 2016 free agent class is full of scrubs, I wouldn't call Durant and Anthony Davis scrubs.
If Love re-signs. If that's the case, I don't see it going badly for Cleveland.

Honestly, I think the best thing they should do is let Thompson walk if he needs a max deal, and go after Kenneth Faried for about $5-7 mil/yr less

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not if the Cavs are not winning and are maxed out when other teams are able to add.

Like I was pointing out to Wiggy, that doesn't mean the Cavs CAN'T win, but their chances would have to decrease.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, I think the best thing they should do is let Thompson walk if he needs a max deal, and go after Kenneth Faried for about $5-7 mil/yr less

The problem is that IMO no other team is approaching near a max with him.
His play has never warranted it. He had a great month.
Thing is, that James can get him a max or close, and will because of the shared agent thing.
It's strictly a power play. It's a great example of why he went back there.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never thought about Faried, but that would make sense.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't you think LeBron could pull a power play with almost any franchise, though?

I think Riley is actually one of the very few GM's who wouldn't put up with it (at least after a certain point).

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One compelling reason for the Cavs to re-sign everyone (rather than letting Tristan or Iman walk).... is for continuity.

This was a team with 2 new max players at the beginning of the year... who traded for 2 new starters + 6th man in January... who finally got into a groove and finished the season on a 33-3 clip (up until Love's injury)... who then had to adjust to 2 huge injuries in the playoffs.

All that... and they came up 2 wins short of a title. Imagine the same team next year with some actual continuity (and hopefully health :hope:).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that IMO no other team is approaching near a max with him.
His play has never warranted it. He had a great month.
Thing is, that James can get him a max or close, and will because of the shared agent thing.
Maybe not a max, but damn close to it. It wouldn't be the first time a pro athlete has turned a hot streak into a big time deal. Thing with TT is that he is also still young, has no real injury history, and has no baggage. I wouldn't be shocked if he got $18-20 mil, even if it's not in Cleveland.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power play is one thing.
Total control is quite another.

LeBron James finding his power in Cleveland

That was an interesting read. I had to roll my eyes when I got to the end and saw it was written by LeBatard.... but then again.... I wasn't rolling my eyes reading the article... so that's probably unfair.

That part about the change in the Cavs worth and attendance with/without LeBron was interesting... makes the thought of a player pulling the strings more stomach-able, imo.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an interesting read. I had to roll my eyes when I got to the end and saw it was written by LeBatard.... but then again.... I wasn't rolling my eyes reading the article... so that's probably unfair.

That part about the change in the Cavs worth and attendance with/without LeBron was interesting... makes the thought of a player pulling the strings more stomach-able, imo.

LeBatard has his fun with James, like with the billboards, but I have never heard diminish what a great player he is, or fabricate things about him to make him come off in a negative light.

Of course the value of having James around is substantial and very well known.
He's big business.
THAT'S why to think Arison would risk losing hundreds of millions to save 20M with Miller is ABSURD.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3