• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs Look to Trade Haywood + Pick for Player

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I thought this was Cavs best chance to win. they are in big trouble with tax money. No way he would pay that much tax. Its really time to think about Love or Thompson. Cant have them both. Cavs are going to have a rough off season. They went all in this year and came up short.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody really needs salary cap relief

Every team in the league (with the exception of the Clippers) will have a ton of space in the next two years.

There is not much value right now for the classic "expiring contract" deal.

This type of trade would have made more sense about 3-4 years ago....not so much now with the anticipated cap relief from the new TV money.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I thought this was Cavs best chance to win. they are in big trouble with tax money. No way he would pay that much tax. Its really time to think about Love or Thompson. Cant have them both. Cavs are going to have a rough off season. They went all in this year and came up short.

I disagree.
He'll have to pay.
James annual opt outs dictate his hand.

Thing is, James can force him to pay, then at any point decide he doesn't like the merchandise, and leave.

Billionaires who own sports teams don't put themselves in that position.

Wiggy keeps praising him.
Most teams plan long term.
Cavs all in motto really is coming into play.

There's the possible reward, but IMO isn't worth the risk.
James frequent flyer mileage is piling up quickly.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how he will pay 200 mill or 300 mill. Makes no sense. I don't see it.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody really needs salary cap relief

Every team in the league (with the exception of the Clippers) will have a ton of space in the next two years.

There is not much value right now for the classic "expiring contract" deal.

This type of trade would have made more sense about 3-4 years ago....not so much now with the anticipated cap relief from the new TV money.

Cavs won't though, correct?
They'll be so far over that the new cap still won't give them any room to add.

That's been my point in all of this.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.
He'll have to pay.
James annual opt outs dictate his hand.

Thing is, James can force him to pay, then at any point decide he doesn't like the merchandise, and leave.

Billionaires who own sports teams don't put themselves in that position.

Wiggy keeps praising him.
Most teams plan long term.
Cavs all in motto really is coming into play.

There's the possible reward, but IMO isn't worth the risk.
James frequent flyer mileage is piling up quickly.

To be fair, the Cavs had to go all in once Lebron agreed to return. No one loves a good Lebron/Cavs/Gilbert bashing than me, but the Cavs got 30 year old Lebron. If they did anything other than go all in, by the time they are truly ready to contend, Lebron wouldn't be Lebron anymore (at least not the one we are used to).

The situation is similar to when the Lakers went all in with Dwight/Nash to try and get Kobe one more ring. The Cavs are in a better position because Lebron is younger than Kobe was and they have younger core players overall. But end of the day, like the Lakers, if the Cavs don't get a title within the next couple of seasons, they likely will have missed their window and will be facing a re-build. Especially if some of these younger guys start leaving.

Then Gilbert can start crying about his NBA welfare check again (couldn't resist :heh:).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL what?

"In big trouble"? Dan Gilbert is worth just shy of $5B. He can very easily afford to pay whatever luxury tax the league sends his way.

Cavs are going to have a rough offseason? Maybe in terms of "Which superstars do we decide to sign? So difficult to choose..."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL what?

"In big trouble"? Dan Gilbert is worth just shy of $5B. He can very easily afford to pay whatever luxury tax the league sends his way.

Cavs are going to have a rough offseason? Maybe in terms of "Which superstars do we decide to sign? So difficult to choose..."

You realize there's a cap and a point where they can't take on any more salary, regardless of how much money Gilbert has, right? The Cavs are at $72 million in salary right now. That's without the expected opt outs of Love and Lebron and with 5 other players not signed yet.

The Clippers owner is worth $22 billion and adding any more players is going to be next to impossible because of the cap.

Arison seems to be worth at least as much as Gilbert, yet the Heat can't just pay whoever they want either.

The Lakers have a deal with Time Warner that covers the cost of all salaries, plus any resultant luxury tax penalties and still have plenty of money left over. Yet, they can't just throw as much money as they want at whoever they want either.

What an owner is worth isn't the issue. All of those guys are billionaires. The issue is the cap and how it restricts teams.

In short, there's a whole lot more for the Cavs to worry about than what superstar they will sign.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL what?

Please quit acting like he's the only billionaire in the league.
He's not even close to having the wealth of the wealthiest...but that isn't really the point.

Billionaires become billionaires by making good business decisions.
Gilbert is in a unique one now, because he put himself there.
For the most part, teams have figured out how to win while staying in the ballpark of the salary cap.
As we all know, the Cavs have never been one of those teams.

You guys can twist it, spin it, anyway you want, but nobody has yet to answer the question asked.
How many times did Gilbert pay a luxury tax when James wasn't on the roster?

If owners want this unlimited spending, then why:

Did they agree to make the penalties so punative against THEMSELVES?

Wasn't Gilbert the biggest OPPONENT to teams being able to do exactly what you guys are implying he will do now?

And, you think you have an unlimited list of superstars you can sign?

Whose on your list?
Name any other superstar you can sign ( assuming they don't sign for nothing).

You have the ability to resign Love if he chooses to stay.
You can resign Birds rights players.

Other then that, you are limited, I'm pretty, the veteran minimum and maybe 1 mini mid level.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize there's a cap and a point where they can't take on any more salary, regardless of how much money Gilbert has, right? The Cavs are at $72 million in salary right now. That's without the expected opt outs of Love and Lebron and with 5 other players not signed yet.

The Clippers owner is worth $22 billion and adding any more players is going to be next to impossible because of the cap.

Arison seems to be worth at least as much as Gilbert, yet the Heat can't just pay whoever they want either.

The Lakers have a deal with Time Warner that covers the cost of all salaries, plus any resultant luxury tax penalties and still have plenty of money left over. Yet, they can't just throw as much money as they want at whoever they want either.

What an owner is worth isn't the issue. All of those guys are billionaires. The issue is the cap and how it restricts teams.

In short, there's a whole lot more for the Cavs to worry about than what superstar they will sign.

Clearly he does NOT REALIZE.

Perhaps Gilbert should buy the shittily run Indians and spend 300M/ year there?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly he does NOT REALIZE.

Perhaps Gilbert should buy the shittily run Indians and spend 300M/ year there?

Yeah, I think the cap trips up a lot of people. Took me awhile to grasp it as well despite trying to read whatever I can on it. Even at that, I only have a rudimentary understanding at best. Things like cap holds, etc. still confuse the shit out of me.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you, this is what he doesn't understand. Great post.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, this is what he doesn't understand. Great post.

I agree. I was starting to get irritated about Cavs fans mentioning how wealthy Dan Gilbert is. No shit, every NBA owner in the league is wealthy.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL what?

The Cavs are hard-capped. Other than resigning their own players or trading away higher $$$ contracts for lower $$$ contracts, the Caves are in neutral when it comes to signing players. Meaning they are forced to select from the bottom of the barrel when signing FA(s). Minimum salary players. And because they are already above tax apron, the incoming salaries from a Haywood deal could carry a 300 percent tax rate.

The Cavs will likely be sitting at $96-109 mil after resigning their own players & releasing Haywood.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I was starting to get irritated about Cavs fans mentioning how wealthy Dan Gilbert is. No shit, every NBA owner in the league is wealthy.

Yep. Ballmer is worth nearly 5 times what Gilbert is. Yet, the Clips are just about as limited as the Cavs.

Btw, how freakin' crazy is that? Ballmer's so wealthy, he makes Gilbert look poor and Gilbert is worth $5 billion. :shocked:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Ballmer is worth nearly 5 times what Gilbert is. Yet, the Clips are just about as limited as the Cavs.

Btw, how freakin' crazy is that? Ballmer's so wealthy, he makes Gilbert look poor and Gilbert is worth $5 billion. :shocked:

Crying shame since he ran Microsoft into the ground and allowed Apple to get back into the IT market. Worse CEO......ever. Luckily I'm a Linux guy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crying shame since he ran Microsoft into the ground and allowed Apple to get back into the IT market. Worse CEO......ever. Luckily I'm a Linux guy.

I don't know about any of that. Not into all that tech stuff (my tech abilities are maxed out just posting on the Hoop) so I had no idea what kind of CEO he was. I just know that's A LOT of money.

Btw, if anyone wants to pay me $22 billion to run their company into the ground, just PM me. I may even be willing to do it for a little less.