• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carr for a 3rd?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you ask me right now for a qb to draft and develop it would be haener . he can run a pro offense , he is smart and his arm is about avg . i am thinking he is a purdy type which is to say a solid BU guy . teams need back ups too

24 is the year to look for "THE " qb not this year

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I'll take your word for it. Lol. Jeez
Again, I hope I am wrong and Hooker ends up winning a Super Bowl.

I think names come out every year and they are "buzz names" and people get behind them for literally no reason. I am not saying YOU are doing that but I see mock drafts with Hooker going very high and for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is what I am not understanding.

I have seen Hooker play almost 20 games in college and he is not a 3rd round pick. I am not seeing why posters are saying he is worth a 3rd or mid-round pick. Nobody has explained this at all. I have watched every snap he has taken and I don't see an NFL QB there.

Just curious what people are seeing that I am not. I don't think people are understanding the Josh Heupel offense and simply look at Hooker's numbers and making assumptions based off of that. I could be wrong. That being said, I know more about Hendon Hooker than anyone on this board and can tell you anything about the player.

Attempting to reply again. I respect your eyewitness account, that means something. The injury is also a concern, but if we are talking high risk/reward im down for him being a back up, i hope never plays

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad Ron has put Chase on notice.
As a head coach and working GM you have to know the difference between putting a player "on notice" publicly and privately. Further, if you don't own the necessary skills to publicly protect your players who you claim to care for and want to run through walls for you, then perhaps the very best thing him to do publicly is... shutting the fuck up!!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be argumentative but can you elaborate on what you/others see in Hooker?

It is interesting because non-Tennessee view Hooker very differently than Tennessee fans do. I am simply not seeing what he would bring as an NFL QB.
Since I am in favor of drafting Hooker, I'll give my reasoning, but first I offer little confidence in Howell as the long term answer here. That said, the near consensus has been to give Howell a chance to win the job. That's fair, but what does it mean to give him a chance to win the job? To me it would require some form of equal talent. Hooker IMHO, provides that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think names come out every year and they are "buzz names" and people get behind them for literally no reason.
For 30 of the 32 teams it's time to evaluate and allow speculation to run rampant. QBs always get more buzz than they deserve and with a limited pool of top end ones, "buzz names" will get thrown around deservedly or not. That said, you have to be intrigued with the thought that a Hooker will lead them to the promised land and the many other jokes that will come if he becomes a starter in the NFL.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I am in favor of drafting Hooker, I'll give my reasoning, but first I offer little confidence in Howell as the long term answer here. That said, the near consensus has been to give Howell a chance to win the job. That's fair, but what does it mean to give him a chance to win the job? To me it would require some form of equal talent. Hooker IMHO, provides that.
i dont know enough about howell one way or another . i dont trust the acl thing with hooker so i wouldnt pick him until late , for my money i go with haene rand bring in a vet

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I agree for sure that you cannot annoint a future qb after only 20 professional passes.
Rivera announced howell as the starter yesterday. Not sure what the reason was other than not tipping his hand that we might be looking elsewhere. Howell should not be automatically given the job I feel.

Not being a unc fan, but it appears Howell did run a more pro style offense in college.

Heupels college qbs have been drew lock, dillon Gabriel and Hendon hooker. All 3 qbs put up monster numbers. Lock was drafted in thr 2nd round and has done nothing of note. Gabriel will not get drafted I am guessing.

I think qbs from gimmic college offenses are risky. Kinda like the old Hawaii qbs back in the day, it wasn't the player, it was the system. Hooker was below average at VA Tech then exploded under Heupel. Heupels offense reminds me of Spurriers offense in that it is predicated on creating and exploiting wr mismatches via tempo and deception. I think Hooker would struggle in his progressions and accuracy in the nfl because it was never really required at Tennessee.

Hooker is the better athlete, but Howell has a better arm and is more accurate. Howell is also 2 or 3 years younger than hooker I believe. Hooker is also wreckless with his scrambles and takes way too many hits. He will have to learn to slide of course. Hooker would literally try to bowl over lbs and CBs in college. He can't do that anymore.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know enough about howell one way or another . i dont trust the acl thing with hooker so i wouldnt pick him until late , for my money i go with haene rand bring in a vet
Interesting!!
Comparably in your opinion how does Haene measure to Howell?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a head coach and working GM you have to know the difference between putting a player "on notice" publicly and privately. Further, if you don't own the necessary skills to publicly protect your players who you claim to care for and want to run through walls for you, then perhaps the very best thing him to do publicly is... shutting the fuck up!!
I think Ron is frustrated with Chase. He called Chase out without saying his name two years ago. All the discipline comments were obviously for him. The production just isn't there. I think they are trying to light a fire under him the way JDR did Jamin this year.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call on system QBs. Look back at Spurrier (as you did) and Urban Meier. One pro quality QB out of all the guys they had ... Alex Smith. Hawaii offense under June Jones was the same ... I am sure most remember Colt Brennan.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call on system QBs. Look back at Spurrier (as you did) and Urban Meier. One pro quality QB out of all the guys they had ... Alex Smith. Hawaii offense under June Jones was the same ... I am sure most remember Colt Brennan.
That is all I am saying.

You being a football mind would spot that watching a TN game. I laughed at some of the plays during the year because Heupel is a master at playcalling. Countless times, the corners would be looking at the sideline for a substitution or confirming the assignment and a TN WR would simply blow past them and Hooker would throw to a streaking WR. The only defense that figured it out was Georgia and Hooker only could manage 13 points. The CBs simply jammed the WR at the line and it threw off the routes on nearly every play. This threw off the up-tempo scheme as well. Hooker got confused and struggled during that game. This is the type of defense he will see in the NFL of course. You don't run 3 plays minutes in the NFL and that is what Hooker was used to in college. Many plays would have the DLine with hands on their hips or looking around pre-snap because TN doesn't substitute and the defense would simply be gassed.

One play against Missouri, the offense was coming up on the ball and Jalin Hyatt, slot WR, literally ran up and crouched behind the LT. When the ball was snapped, Hyatt simply leaked out to the left and was wide open as the CB didn't see him. He trotted 50 yards to the end zone. Hooker simply threw a 5-10 yard pass. Many TN scores are actually WR screens where Hooker would throw a lateral pass to a WR.

Can Hooker be coached up? It is possible. That being said, how many June Jones QBs made it? How many Spurrier QB made it? I love TN football, but Heupel will not produce NFL QBs. College is full of non-Pro style offenses that are designed to get play makers in space.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting!!
Comparably in your opinion how does Haene measure to Howell?
I think both can run a pro offense with Howell having better tools . I think he is has a chance to be a good career back up .

howell could be a decent starter or a backup or even a star

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both can run a pro offense with Howell having better tools . I think he is has a chance to be a good career back up .

howell could be a decent starter or a backup or even a star

I am surprised the Saints would trade for him as it seems both Carr and the Saints want this to happen. Carr knows that the Saints, his future team, would have to cough up a 3rd rounder to get him. Surely he tells them that he will sign the day he is cut and they can keep their 3rd round pick t help build the team.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am surprised the Saints would trade for him as it seems both Carr and the Saints want this to happen. Carr knows that the Saints, his future team, would have to cough up a 3rd rounder to get him. Surely he tells them that he will sign the day he is cut and they can keep their 3rd round pick t help build the team.
With that defense, a healthy Thomas and Kamara, Brady retiring, gotta think the Saints with Carr run away with the South next year.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that defense, a healthy Thomas and Kamara, Brady retiring, gotta think the Saints with Carr run away with the South next year.
For sure. That is the team I would target if I were Carr.
Use the draft to strengthen the OLine and get another weapon or 2 for Carr.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. That is the team I would target if I were Carr.
Use the draft to strengthen the OLine and get another weapon or 2 for Carr.
Yeah they got picks for sean Payton as well

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be argumentative but can you elaborate on what you/others see in Hooker?

It is interesting because non-Tennessee view Hooker very differently than Tennessee fans do. I am simply not seeing what he would bring as an NFL QB.
Being able to run any system to perfection is a skill. Can he learn NFL defenses? That's the next step that many talented guys never really learn. Can he throw with anticipation? Sounds like he didn't have to in that offense, but you can build on top of poise and smarts.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The earlier question was about getting REAL competition in Washington for Howell. A veteran QB would have certain advantages over him because of his experience. A lower-round drafted QB would have to come in with a similar falling pedigree as Howell and that you rarely find in the lower rounds. According to some, Howell was the rare exception as he was once projected to be a 1st round QB who fell to round 5. So, logically where does this real competition come from especially if you're not drafting a QB in round one?
Someone like Andy Dalton or Baker or Minshew or Mariota