• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caps Steroid accusation

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to remember there are different steriods/PED'S available for different affects on your game, it's not just about power. they also help with your speed and endurance. athletically they help you in the short term but are bad in the long term. players could use them to extend their careers. Personally, I don't think there is a problem in hockey but I could be wrong. Don't they have testing in hockey?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to baseball, I don't think the freakish roided out McGwire or Sosa or Bonds is the argument. Rafael Palmiero is. Yes, you need the coordination to hit the ball, but if you add strength on top of it - suddenly balls that were landing in the warning track are going three rows deep. He is a prime example of how it enhanced performance. Even a ball jacked up the middle out of the reach of the shortstop might have been caught if there wasn't extra power there.

I can't really see where that added strength would improve much in hockey. Brett Hull proved you don't need strength to fire pucks hard. And increasing the speed the puck is leaving the stick doesn't help much because you have the same target as everyone else.

Dunno. Good to get everyone's opinion.

Oh, and this thread and it's mirror elsewhere sealed it. I'm here for good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to baseball, I don't think the freakish roided out McGwire or Sosa or Bonds is the argument. Rafael Palmiero is. Yes, you need the coordination to hit the ball, but if you add strength on top of it - suddenly balls that were landing in the warning track are going three rows deep. He is a prime example of how it enhanced performance. Even a ball jacked up the middle out of the reach of the shortstop might have been caught if there wasn't extra power there.

I can't really see where that added strength would improve much in hockey. Brett Hull proved you don't need strength to fire pucks hard. And increasing the speed the puck is leaving the stick doesn't help much because you have the same target as everyone else.

Dunno. Good to get everyone's opinion.

Oh, and this thread and it's mirror elsewhere sealed it. I'm here for good.

While I agree that a few more deep fly balls will become home runs and a few more hard grounders or liners will become basehits, you also have to consider that a few more bloopers and soft liners to the outfield will become outs as well.

So how much value do you really add? 5 homeruns, 10? So your OPS goes up .005 to .010? I just don't see it adding that much overall value to a player.

Steroids can't help you draw a walk, center the ball, take the right route to a ball, or catch it cleanly. They can't help you make the right play ont he bases or in the field. I honestly don't see most players gaining more than .3 WAR over the course of a season from using steroids.

All of that said, I don't condone their use for two reasons:

1. These players are likely using them under the assumption that they will provide them with an unfair advantage. Thus they are deliberately attempting to cheat, which, regardless of effectiveness, is unacceptable behavior.

2. Steroids are bad for people. They have negative effects on the cardiovascular and skeletal systems in the long run. From a health and wellness perspective, they're just not worth it.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If there are performance-enhancing drugs being used in the NHL they would most likely be amphetamines or similar drugs that fight mental or physical fatigue. HGH would see its best use amongst kids that want to be in NHL but are shorter than their peers in high school.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could just be my fantasy team beef but this is one of my observations.
I chose Semin because in last year's playoffs, Ovechkin double shifted a ton on the Fedorov and Kozlov line. I thought he had by far the most endurance / stamina shown in the playoffs. It may be they have a better team and it was deemed unnecessary this year, but I really expected the same this year. It would make matching up a huge task since you actually needed 2 shutdown lines out there to stop him. Whether or not this has anything to do with PEDs is up for debate and it really does not prove anything except for me bitching about why I decided to choose Semin.

OUVan59

There was one?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This could just be my fantasy team beef but this is one of my observations.
I chose Semin because in last year's playoffs, Ovechkin double shifted a ton on the Fedorov and Kozlov line. I thought he had by far the most endurance / stamina shown in the playoffs. It may be they have a better team and it was deemed unnecessary this year, but I really expected the same this year. It would make matching up a huge task since you actually needed 2 shutdown lines out there to stop him. Whether or not this has anything to do with PEDs is up for debate and it really does not prove anything except for me bitching about why I decided to choose Semin.

Semin hasn't done well because he hasn't adapted his game for the postseason. He's hanging on to the puck way too long and is getting pokechecked to death. He's trying to do his curl and drag on nearly every shift and he loses the puck consistently. Heck, his assist on Ovechkin's go ahead goal the other night was a pokecheck that luckily went directly to Ovechkin. The Rangers last year threw all their eggs in the stop Ovechkin basket and gave Semin space and it cost them. Pittsburgh didn't make that mistake. In fact, they went harder at Semin than they did Ovechkin.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semin hasn't done well because he hasn't adapted his game for the postseason. He's hanging on to the puck way too long and is getting pokechecked to death. He's trying to do his curl and drag on nearly every shift and he loses the puck consistently. Heck, his assist on Ovechkin's go ahead goal the other night was a pokecheck that luckily went directly to Ovechkin. The Rangers last year threw all their eggs in the stop Ovechkin basket and gave Semin space and it cost them. Pittsburgh didn't make that mistake. In fact, they went harder at Semin than they did Ovechkin.

I completely agree with you. Where I was coming from is that I expected Ovechkin to double shift a good number of times on Semin's line like he did with Fedorov and Kozlov. If Ovechkin was out there with Semin, they wouldn't be able to put so much pressure on him. And again, this is not evidence of using steroids, I am just venting that he isn't double shifting on the second line.

OUVan59

There was one?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where I was coming from is that I expected Ovechkin to double shift a good number of times on Semin's line like he did with Fedorov and Kozlov.

They've done a little of that but not as much as last year. Ovechkin can double shift with any line and be effective. What they should do is double shift Backstrom with Semin and Laich. Neither Belanger or Morrison seem to work all that well with Semin.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've done a little of that but not as much as last year. Ovechkin can double shift with any line and be effective. What they should do is double shift Backstrom with Semin and Laich. Neither Belanger or Morrison seem to work all that well with Semin.

I would love that too. I have Backstrom as well. Anything to get Semin going. They will need his production in the later rounds.