• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caps Steroid accusation

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are.

I've always maintained that Steroids would not offer a hockey player a lot in terms of performance enhancement, at least not as much as other sports. I know it shortens recovery time, but I don't think hockey players have issues with muscle recovery as much as they do with structure injuries. Steroids do nothing for bones, ligaments, etc. If players used it to bulk up and add strength, that also would be counterproductive in hockey because big pylons are really exposed by some of the better skaters out there. Solid hits are more the product of timing and leverage than strength.

So I've kinda always thought (foolishly perhaps) that it wouldn't really rear it's ugly head in hockey.

I've read a little, and there isn't any hard evidence pointing to the Caps yet. No player names. All we have is a guy who got caught spilling everything he can think of. It seems likely to me that this dude may have supplied one guy a long time ago and just said it to draw as much attention as he can away from himself.

Thoughts? How likely do you think it is to be true? What happens if it is?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've contended at length that steroids don't offer all that much of a benefit in most sports. I think the effect is even limited in baseball. Sure, you can hit a few more home runs on steroids, but you don't really increase your value all that much.

I think the effect would be even less, though for all the same points you brought up. Everyone in the league shoots hard enough to score, it's more a matter of where you put the puck, though, and steroids can't help with that. It might make you better on the boards, but even there leverage is the biggest factor.

If any professional hockey players are on steroids, in my opinion they're just hurting themselves. They help you recover in the short term, but their careers will likely be cut short by the long-term effects. Also, as you mentioned, if the players bulk up too much, they'll lose speed and quickness.

The biggest issue with steroids in sports is principle. They're banned, they apparently give you an unfair advantage, so by principle and honour, you shouldn't use them. Also, as I mentioned before, they ruin your body, so setting that example for young people can be very dangerous.

That's just my opinion, though.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've kinda had the same thought about steroids not really being helpful in hockey. I wouldn't be shocked if players (Caps or any other team) have taken PEDs at some point and time. I would be pretty darn suprised and outraged if these players were current, weither it be OV, Boyd Gordon, or any other player on any other team.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a small percentage of players that are using them (< 10%). I'd be surprised if any star players in the league are using them, but who the heck knows for sure. More likely guys that are bouncing between the AHL and NHL would be the guys I would think would be looking for any edge to stay with the big club.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think steriods would affect hockey too much if at all.

Still, I want the game to be clean and if someone has taken PED's then they deserve the maximum punishment that goes with it. I don't care who it is, they should no better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a small percentage of players that are using them (< 10%). I'd be surprised if any star players in the league are using them, but who the heck knows for sure. More likely guys that are bouncing between the AHL and NHL would be the guys I would think would be looking for any edge to stay with the big club.

Fighters might benefit from them, too. But I agree, it is highly unlikely that any high-skill players are using them.

Squatchito

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Getting straight to the point. I would be very depressed if it is true, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Sadly, with the environment that steroid scandals have cast on sports these days there is a guilty until proven innocent mentality towards it.

I know this story has been brewing a while but I wish it could have been put on the back burner until the playoffs are over.

If it does prove to be true, then the NHL and NHLPA will need to act very fast and nip it in the bud quickly. Establish a zero tolerance policy, suspensions starting at 50ish games, and forfeiture of contracts. The NHL can't afford to be ravaged by this like Major League Baseball.

OUVan59

There was one?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've read a little, and there isn't any hard evidence pointing to the Caps yet. No player names. All we have is a guy who got caught spilling everything he can think of. It seems likely to me that this dude may have supplied one guy a long time ago and just said it to draw as much attention as he can away from himself.

Thoughts? How likely do you think it is to be true? What happens if it is?

The three players they interviewed were Matt Bradley, Eric Fehr and Shaone Morrissonn. All three saw the doctor (chiropractor) for back problems. No other Capitals player was ever treated by him. Sports Illustrated is basing this whole story on an email from a deputy stating that he was told that the Caps didn't do an investigation. I have no idea if this is true or not but when the original guy was investigated he claimed that he had sold steroids to Caps players and Washington Nationals players. Even if the NHL and the Caps didn't conduct a thorough investigation, MLB did and they found no evidence that he was telling the truth. That doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't sell any to the Caps but it does cast a large shadow on his claims. Combine that with the fact that every NHL player is regularly tested during the season and I'm not all that worried. If they were investigating them for HGH I might be worried but not with steroids.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey seems to be hand-eye coordination and I don't think that is one of the benefits of PED. Mobility is more of a need in hockey compared to power.

In baseball the extra power from PED's may allow for a few more HR's, but you still need to hit the ball.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The three players they interviewed were Matt Bradley, Eric Fehr and Shaone Morrissonn. All three saw the doctor (chiropractor) for back problems. No other Capitals player was ever treated by him. Sports Illustrated is basing this whole story on an email from a deputy stating that he was told that the Caps didn't do an investigation. I have no idea if this is true or not but when the original guy was investigated he claimed that he had sold steroids to Caps players and Washington Nationals players. Even if the NHL and the Caps didn't conduct a thorough investigation, MLB did and they found no evidence that he was telling the truth. That doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't sell any to the Caps but it does cast a large shadow on his claims. Combine that with the fact that every NHL player is regularly tested during the season and I'm not all that worried. If they were investigating them for HGH I might be worried but not with steroids.

Not to mention, if it was star players involved, wouldn't this have come out in the Olympics?

OUVan59

There was one?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And another thing, the SI article keeps pointing the fact that the NHL doesn't test during the offseason or the postseason. What part of the Caps recent playoff history would lead you to believe they were juiced? :o

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was my understanding that there is a difference between PEDs and HGH. While I can see performance enhancers not having much benefit to a hockey player, human growth hormones would allow for quicker recovery times on things like high ankle sprains and even broken bones. Am I not mistaken here?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Ovechkin is a dirty, selfish loser who probably bought TONS of steroids. ; )

Seriously though, I agree with the general not that beneficial in hockey argument. Outside of that, only a few of the Caps used this guy on a limited basis and he isn't even the pusher himself. So I doubt and sincerely hope that none of the Capitals used any performance enhancers.

Furthermore, why would the Russian players buy it in America? I can't imagine it would be that hard to come by in the homeland.

Lastly, if Eric Fehr is using 'roids, he got ripped off by somebody! :)

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would imagine that amphetamines would have a much more performance enhancing effect in hockey than steroids.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be naive to believe they aren't being used... but that said I don't think it's widespread.

Bulking up doesn't help as much for hockey players (with the possible exception of enforcers).

I remember back when Sopel was on the Canucks and he came to camp ripped from a serious off season training regime. It just made him a bigger, slower pylon.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first blush, I would agree with most of you that steroids wouldn't help too much in hockey. The problem is, I also thought the same thing in baseball. And while hand-eye coordination may be the MOST important thing in that game, you can't honestly tell me that steroids had little to do with the homerun barage in the late 90's/early 00's. Fine, McGwire hit 70, he was always a big homerun hitter, that MIGHT be explained away. But Sammy Sosa hit 60 homeruns 3 times. That wasn't natural.

Now, being a Cubs fan, I cheered him on during the whole time, but I was also a tad embarrassed when he was finally linked. I suppose that would be my reaction to the Caps if these allegations prove to be true...embarrassment.

Bottom line is I don't believe these guys would risk so much to use this stuff if it didn't help.