• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Canada vs. USA

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm devestated.

*skipping rocks on a frozen pond, Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" playing, the frozen corpse of Andrew Stevens under near by shrubbery*

I read that as "Eric Cartman", so I started singing the song in Cartman's voice in my head.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually did, hahah. Sorry I didn't get here in time to share :)

I hate that the refs tarnished what was a fantastic game. Canada worked for their win, so I'm certainly not pinning the loss on the refs. I'm just insanely disappointed in how they tarnished the product. It was fast paced, exciting, goalie duel...then the refs decided to not do their job. The second goal was so screwed up. 1) the ref should not have blown the whistle, however 2) she did, and the puck wasn't across the line, and 3) that's not reviewable, so 4) she decided to completely ignore her mistake and pretend it didn't happen. I can get over that one though, because, as mentioned, the whistle shouldn't have blown...it was all the other crap. How do you miss multiple too many men? 7 people on the ice is really obvious. Also, if you're not going to call body checks, fine...but then don't simply decide to do it at random intervals. Coyne got rocked by two players behind the net and it was fine...but both teams barely touch someone earlier and get called. Also: LEARN HOW TO STAY AWAY FROM THE PLAY. The turnover that lead to the third goal wasn't pretty, but it'd have been nice if that linesman (who also held in a few clearing attempts BY CAN) could've avoided picking off Knight. Just a lot of incompetence. Annoying.

From a hockey standpoint, the US just got worked in the third. Canada was fantastic at getting in lanes all game. Props. Great defensive game from them.

Did you see the Canada US soccer game in London?

One if the issues is female reffing. Not that they are inherently worse - there are just far fewer. We harp on NHL refs all the time but they are pulled from a pool of thousands and still do a crummy job. The pool of female refs is going to be much smaller, so the quality will drop in comparison.

Olympics are always interesting because the world starts seeing just how bad officiating can be (corruption or just incompetence) in the smaller amateur sports.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Men's is even half as bad as the Women's, I'll need a few stress balls, maybe a pillow or two, just to keep myself from breaking everything. So many early morning f-bombs today.

I hope you didn't see the japan-Finland game. Goal scored by japan. Ref wasn't paying attention and called the play dead cause he thought the goalie had the puck. Outside officials were yelling for a review. On ice refs ignored it. Japan lost 2-1

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look up the Salt Lake City boxscore

I was too young to really understand the concept at that point.

2012 Summer Olympics - Canada vs. USA in women's soccer.

That was...downright awful. Just awful. Higher stakes, wasn't it? There were more missed/bad calls in this game, but I think the calls in that one were more influential.

Nah game 6 lakers-kings was the worst. I was throwing shit all over the place and I'm not a kings fan ha

Didn't see that one...but I won't even include the NBA in this discussion. I honestly think there's corruption there. Or there was at least.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the Canada US soccer game in London?

One if the issues is female reffing. Not that they are inherently worse - there are just far fewer. We harp on NHL refs all the time but they are pulled from a pool of thousands and still do a crummy job. The pool of female refs is going to be much smaller, so the quality will drop in comparison.

Olympics are always interesting because the world starts seeing just how bad officiating can be (corruption or just incompetence) in the smaller amateur sports.

In talking with some ladies on twitter, they said that the women's game is known for bad officiating, and I'm sure it's as you said, due to a lack of talent. I would just think, at the Olympic level, they could find some talent. Get male refs if that's what it takes. The linesman got in the way, and the ref had zero confidence. I may harp on NHL refs, but they stick to their guns on calls, and admit their mistakes. We've all seen things like that second goal happen in the NHL...but in the NHL they wave it off, knowing they blew the whistle too early, and accept they made the mistake. That ref was so incredibly lost...it was incredible.

I hope you didn't see the japan-Finland game. Goal scored by japan. Ref wasn't paying attention and called the play dead cause he thought the goalie had the puck. Outside officials were yelling for a review. On ice refs ignored it. Japan lost 2-1

Unfortunately I did see that. It was awful. I have no idea how you ignore off ice officials saying it's a goal.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hand in hand with that is the refs have very very few opportunities to ref high level games because there are very very few of those

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tells ya if these two teams don't meet again in the gold medal game...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hand in hand with that is the refs have very very few opportunities to ref high level games because there are very very few of those

That was my argument this morning on the twitter. They don't know how to handle the speed and elite level of play that happens with these two. That much was evident in their complete inability to get out of the way :rollseyes: They just need to have a talk before the imminent rematch.

Lone Granger

Superstar
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada winnnnnns!

Muhahahahahahahahaha!!!

MrBurnsEvilLaugh.png

CANADA! CANADA! CANADA!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they seriously need to revoke the no bodychecking rule in women's hockey, it may have had a place at one time, but there were bodychecks being thrown all over the ice in today's game and to call some and not others just seems disingenuous.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they seriously need to revoke the no bodychecking rule in women's hockey, it may have had a place at one time, but there were bodychecks being thrown all over the ice in today's game and to call some and not others just seems disingenuous.

Also, sexism or something!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. It's not like it's a bunch of huge guys going out there laying out hits. It's a woman hitting a woman, so it's relative. I deal with athletes all day, and I'm pretty sure women can handle it. :rollseyes: It's not that different than a softball player sacrificing their body to make a play, or a volleyball player hitting the floor. Heck, there's plenty of contact in women's basketball. Let 'em go. Of course, this would certainly favor Canada, considering they played the game this morning like they were allowed to body check, and it worked AND they weren't called. Just pitch the rule, and I really don't think it changes the game too much. Still a finesse game at the heart of it all.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree.

/sorry, I'll provide more content next time, I promise.

//truthfully, I think Dash just wants to see roller derby on ice. :D Just institute a short shorts requirement and there ya go.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wickenheiser did a great job shadowing Hilary Knight of the US earlier today, the States also needs more from the Lamoureaux (sp?) twins.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truthfully, I think Dash just wants to see roller derby on ice. :D

I watched a lot of roller derby in my youth, that was practically must see tv. As for Canada - USA, the refs letting more physical play go definitely plays to Canada's strength, as they are bigger (and I would guess heavier) than the smaller, speedier Americans.

Just institute a short shorts requirement and there ya go.

Truer words have never been spoken.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wickenheiser did a great job shadowing Hilary Knight of the US earlier today, the States also needs more from the Lamoureaux (sp?) twins.

Hilary Knight is probably one of the most talented women's players I've got to watch. She's fun to watch. Great hands.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout this all female tsn intermission panel on the rebroadcast