• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

can we just textually shoot jason reid now ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Jason Reid, NFL
Any analysis of the Washington Redskins' draft would be incomplete without also examining their first-round gamble. With defensive lineman Leonard Williams available, the Redskins selected offensive lineman Brandon Scherfffifth overall, believing they added a cornerstone right tackle. They had better be right.

By passing on Williams, a chic pick among analysts as the best player in the class, the Redskins potentially opened themselves up to they-bungled-the-draft-again criticism. The Redskins not only need Scherff to become a tone-setter as a rookie, they're also counting on him to help revive quarterback Robert GriffinIII's moribund career and redefine the image of a once-successful franchise that has become a laughingstock as much for infighting as ineptitude on the field. As if all that weren't enough, Scherff, who may be better suited to play guard, is now linked with Williams. Their careers could serve as a referendum on whether new Washington general manager Scot McCloughan shined or flopped in his first big test.

New York Giants would have picked him ninth). And right tackle has long been a weakness for Washington, which is undergoing an image makeover under McCloughan, who plans to build a big, tough roster like those he helped construct for the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks.

That established, McCloughan's move provided the draft's first eyebrow-raiser. Picking one spot behind the Redskins, the New York Jets quickly chose Williams, the difference-maker from USC who has the look of a perennial All-Pro.

Wisely, Scherff hasn't looked backward. He's smart enough to realize nothing good could come from fueling the debate. He'll gladly leave that for others.

"Just gotta come in and do what you can," Scherff said matter-of-factly Saturday during rookie minicamp at Redskins Park. "Whatever they ask me to do, I'm gonna do."

That's a positive approach. But a cynic could argue that Redskins management, desperate to justify its enormous investment in Griffin, passed on potentially the draft's top player to take one who could help Griffin the most.

Here's something about which there's no debate: After consecutive poor seasons, Griffin must get his head back in the game, and the offensive line is better with Scherff.

Trent Williams. Talent evaluators say he's also a fierce run blocker who possesses the combination of character and drive that McCloughan seeks in players. As long as Griffin is Washington's starter, the team must rely on its running game, two Redskins coaches told me last season. Clearly, Scherff fits McCloughan's vision of the new-look Redskins.

There are questions, however, about whether Scherff can pass protect well enough to play tackle in the NFL. Scherff's arm length -- a key in evaluating a lineman's ability to block edge rushers -- is a little shorter than most teams would prefer, which the Redskins acknowledge.

A guard early in his college career, Scherff mostly has played left tackle. Washington head coach Jay Gruden expects Scherff "to take some lumps" moving from the left side to the right. "But the good thing about Brandon," Gruden continued, "is he's a very focused individual. He studies very hard, he takes coaching extremely well. ... He's going to continue to get better."

The thing is, in the court of public opinion, it won't be good enough for Scherff to merely be solid if Leonard Williams is spectacular.

No NFL decision-maker worth his salt would pick a player projected as a right tackle over a disruptive defensive lineman expected to emerge as a dominant pass-rusher. For Washington, the worst-case scenario would be if Williams becomes a monster and Scherff ultimately moves inside because he struggles against the rush. As two-time Super Bowl winner Mike Shanahan will tell you, teams win championships with great tackles, not guards.

Reportedly, the Redskins had Scherff rated higher than Williams. Revealing their concerns about Williams would provide fodder for interesting post-draft conversations, but it really doesn't matter.

Redskins' 2015 draft: Video highlights, grades
ESPN Insider's NFL draft experts recap the 2015 draft for the Washington Redskins, including Mel Kiper's draft grades, Todd McShay's favorite pick and more.

If general managers were always correct in their assessment of players, there wouldn't be so much front-office turnover. Remember, many people thought Ryan Leaf would be a superstar. They're all just opinions.

Although McCloughan's record is better than most, he has had clunker drafts, too. McCloughan's predecessor, team president Bruce Allen, had an awful 28-52 mark in five full seasons as general manager. It's hard to imagine McCloughan would fare as poorly. How could he?

Out of the gate, though, McCloughan may have made a career-defining choice in picking Scherff over Williams. The Redskins know it.

"Where you draft a guy, [and] who you draft him in front of, none of that matters at this point," Gruden said. "All that matters is that they're on our team."

In Scherff, the Redskins got the guy they wanted for their team. We'll soon find out if he was the one they needed.

new GM new way of doing things same old jason reid BS

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will ask the simple yet obvious question I asked a million times leading up to the draft.

If Williams turns out to be a hall of famer and the Jets are still considered the other other team in New Yorks market... so fucking what.

If Sherff only turns into a ten year starter at RT or RG and ends up being a part of a line that gets us BACK into serious contention for a few Super Bowls... but he never even makes a Pro Bowl....

What was the better choice of player and team fit??

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just figuring out Jason Reid is a tool? He revels in trolling Redskins fans and RGIII, in particular. One thing he doesn't touch on is whether Leonard Williams truly was the best player in the draft and/or whether his injury was a big enough concern to justify his fall. After all, four GMs decided to pass on Williams before the Jets decided to take him. And the Jets don't need help on their d-line, which made Williams' selection quite a curiousity.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have been on the kick ried in the ass train for a long time . he has an anti dan snyder agenda and it will get worse with this "man cave " radio show foolishness

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say that you're all wrong would be an exercise in mimicking the same concocted views. What seems to be the pattern here is an intolerance towards objective/ constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, Shark did put Reid's POV into a well reasoned counter argument, but to show disdain for a writer because he clearly thinks ahead about a team that until recently has shown a propensity to take something good and turn it into garbage is frankly puzzling.

I have personally read posts from almost everyone here figuratively impaling decision makers and players on this team for bone headed moves and/or play, yet when a man asks a question that can only be answered in time, he becomes a tool? Really?

It seems, to be for some, a virtual impossibility to address what is written or said about this team. They instead find some twisted solace in attacking the messenger (s) while doing much the same themselves. I'm now curious. .........What exactly did J. Reid opine about that you find objectionable? Is it not true that Williams could in time prove to be a better choice? To be fair he could be, of the two the worse choice. Isn't it equally true that SM first draft here, with all of our hopes pinned to it, will garner our wrath if they all disappoint? Here's what I believe, J. Reid does not hide from writing about sports teams in this city, he takes into account the histories of current regimes then touch those sensitive areas, where fear lies in most of the following here. Areas that you attempt to hide with enthusiasm, then makes you think about it. Tell me I'm wrong, and if you're honest, admit that it's not Reid that you dislike/hate. It's really the fear that he could be right, given what to too, know about the team's history.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck reid and to stymie i agree with u

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How has picking flash over need worked out for us in the past? Williams would have been the safe pick but we would still wouldn't have helped the team. Days of trying to win games 13 to 10 are over. Lets address the line and try and score points. Are defense will hold their own. They aren't that bad when they're not continually running back out on to the field after another 3 and out fizzle.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will ask the simple yet obvious question I asked a million times leading up to the draft.

If Williams turns out to be a hall of famer and the Jets are still considered the other other team in New Yorks market... so fucking what.

If Sherff only turns into a ten year starter at RT or RG and ends up being a part of a line that gets us BACK into serious contention for a few Super Bowls... but he never even makes a Pro Bowl....

Agree. This isn't a beauty contest. What will determine if the Redskins are good long term will be their collective draft picks. If Scherff has a productive, long term career the team won't be wasting time worrying about a "better pick they could have had". This is all about building an entire team.

I also completely disagree with Reid (who is a hack in spite of the protest by some here) regarding RG3. If RG3 fails this years that is certainly not the primary reason to downgrade someone like Scherff - the guy could still have an outstanding career with some other QB - big deal. Also - Reid should know this - it is not all about next season - it is about the long term.

Reid is obviously still pissed that he was screwed over for that short term radio deal. Oh well - he is good for a laugh. HTTR

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not a fair way to evaluate it. You can't just use team results to grade a pick. Was some .240 hitting utility infielder for the Yankees who won 8 rings a better player than Ernie Banks? Would a guy like Trent Dilfer be a better pick than Sonny Jurgenson?

If Williams turns into a star and Scherff has more team success based on having better players around him, and let's be honest neither guy will be the reason his team won or lost on their own, you can't say
Scherff was the better pick.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a fair way to evaluate it. You can't just use team results to grade a pick. Was some .240 hitting utility infielder for the Yankees who won 8 rings a better player than Ernie Banks? Would a guy like Trent Dilfer be a better pick than Sonny Jurgenson?

If Williams turns into a star and Scherff has more team success based on having better players around him, and let's be honest neither guy will be the reason his team won or lost on their own, you can't say

Thats the rub, you are basically saying you would rather have the all star player even if the team sucks, over the team full of solid players that is in contention.

Desuckass Ware is considered one of the best pass rushers in this generation of players. Exactly what did Dallas do while he was there??

You think Miami is upset on taking Tannehill instead of giving up the farm for RG3??

Barry Sanders was one of the best RBs of his time, you dont think the Lions would rather have a Super Bowl in there as apposed to being the team that Barry looked great on but ultimately walked away from.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? If this type of scenario occurs who will really care? Say in 3-4 years the Redskins are on a SB run & Scherff is part of a very solid O-line - do you really think the team or even many fans will be saying "Yeah but we would have been much better off if Williams was a main part of our defense?". Who cares about draft grades & individual success - team success is all that matters.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - this is the NFL - not the NBA - where teams are quite often not built around high 1st round superstar type picks. Look at many of the SB champs of the past - Pats built around a 6th rd pick, 49ers built around a 3rd rd pick, Packers built around a late 1st & a 2nd rd pick, Seattle built around a 3rd rounder & bunch of previously unknowns. The list goes on & on. The key is a solid organization & finding picks throughout the draft - not simply at the very top.

For some hack to suggest that the Redskins new FO will be in a make or break type situation based on their 1st round pick is laughable unless Scherff turns into a total bust.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll take both, scherff in the hall and more importantly the skins in the super bowl

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take both, scherff in the hall and more importantly the skins in the super bowl

IN a perfect world yes. BUt in this world, the Skins made the right call in taking Scherff over Williams. Especially if the GM had him as a higher rated player no matter how many people thought Williams was the best player in the draft. And I say this as one of those people who thought Williams was the best player in the draft. I still thought Scherff was the best player for this team and we made the right call.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say that you're all wrong would be an exercise in mimicking the same concocted views. What seems to be the pattern here is an intolerance towards objective/ constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, Shark did put Reid's POV into a well reasoned counter argument, but to show disdain for a writer because he clearly thinks ahead about a team that until recently has shown a propensity to take something good and turn it into garbage is frankly puzzling.

I have personally read posts from almost everyone here figuratively impaling decision makers and players on this team for bone headed moves and/or play, yet when a man asks a question that can only be answered in time, he becomes a tool? Really?

It seems, to be for some, a virtual impossibility to address what is written or said about this team. They instead find some twisted solace in attacking the messenger (s) while doing much the same themselves. I'm now curious. .........What exactly did J. Reid opine about that you find objectionable? Is it not true that Williams could in time prove to be a better choice? To be fair he could be, of the two the worse choice. Isn't it equally true that SM first draft here, with all of our hopes pinned to it, will garner our wrath if they all disappoint? Here's what I believe, J. Reid does not hide from writing about sports teams in this city, he takes into account the histories of current regimes then touch those sensitive areas, where fear lies in most of the following here. Areas that you attempt to hide with enthusiasm, then makes you think about it. Tell me I'm wrong, and if you're honest, admit that it's not Reid that you dislike/hate. It's really the fear that he could be right, given what to too, know about the team's history.

It's not necessarily the substance of what Reid says (thought that too is an issue all too often), but how he says things and the agenda he has in doing so. It's one thing to level legit criticism about the Redskins; it's quite another thing to revel in it. Dad hit the nail right on the head in stating he's got an anti-Snyder agenda. I too am anti-Snyder quite a bit, but when I criticize him, I keep it on an even keel as much as possible. And, unlike Reid, I'm not turning over every stone to find another story to write bashing the Redskins.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the rub, you are basically saying you would rather have the all star player even if the team sucks, over the team full of solid players that is in contention.

Desuckass Ware is considered one of the best pass rushers in this generation of players. Exactly what did Dallas do while he was there??

You think Miami is upset on taking Tannehill instead of giving up the farm for RG3??

Barry Sanders was one of the best RBs of his time, you dont think the Lions would rather have a Super Bowl in there as apposed to being the team that Barry looked great on but ultimately walked away from.

The counter to your view is that a GM's job is to take the best players that fit in your system. The fact that Ware was a great pass rusher on a bad team is really a testament to the suckass coaches Jerry Jones put in charge when he was around, not Ware himself.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Williams turns into a perennial All-Pro and Scherff becomes nothing more than a solid OT, that's a mistake we would've made. Now, we can debate the effect of the mistake, but it's a mistake nonetheless.

However, you can't viewing draft picks in vacuums. Even if Scherff isn't a Pro-Bowler, if he's a Jon Jansen-type of OT, his presence would greatly improve the team overall. Williams getting drafted by the Jets is a perfect counter-example. Let's say they did get the best player in the draft. They also were a team that needed him the least and had pressing needs at other positions. Why not trade down or get someone else to fill a need on your team?

Right now, we won't obviously know about the effect of each until some years down the line. But right now, even if Williams is the best player in the draft, how much better was he than Scherff? Probably not much. And Scherff fills a huge hole we have. Looking it at that way, I would've passed on Williams too.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 NFL draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try to use history as a gauge on this one. In 2011 the Redskins traded their pick to the Jags so they could select Gabbert. One pick later - the Texans selected JJ Watt who is now considered the best defensive player in the NFL. Several picks later the Skins selected Ryan Kerrigan who is the Redskins best defender at this time & expected to be a factor for quite a few more years.

So - does the team & do we as fans constantly lament that we could have had Watt? Perhaps on occasion but very rarely. Rather - we are very happy to have Ryan Kerrigan on the Redskins. The same should be true in this case if similar happens. You can't worry too much about woulda, shoulda, etc.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? If this type of scenario occurs who will really care? Say in 3-4 years the Redskins are on a SB run & Scherff is part of a very solid O-line - do you really think the team or even many fans will be saying "Yeah but we would have been much better off if Williams was a main part of our defense?". Who cares about draft grades & individual success - team success is all that matters.

Again not even close to what I said. I am evaluating the players, nothing more. You can't just take one player and cherry pick his situation as being on a great team and take another player and put him on a bottom feeder team and then ask me to pick which one I would take.

Of course I would take the better team. But that's not what we are talking about. If Williams is a Hall of Famer and Scherff is Jon Jansen then Williams was the better pick, end of story.