• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Bears go from Worst to First in 2015?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this will all depend on who is running the team, drafting the future, signing the Free agents, and Coaching the players. Without yet knowing who that will be, might be slightly premature to speculate a quick turn around. Consider this:
Back in Sept we all had some pretty high hopes for this season. Many of us looked at the "talent" on paper and thought this could be something special. That "talent" is still there- for the most part.

We said: The best WR duo in the League.
What happened: They both got hurt early in the year. Alshon had a noticeable hamstring injury and Marshall had the ankle injury. Both played through those injuries and looking back each probably should have sat for at least a week and gotten healthy. Throughout the season they couldn't get separation and the deep threat, jump balls were gone for much of the year. Game plans were forced to rely on shorter routes that resulted in them both facing the QB and coming back for the ball instead of catching passes in stride. Without much of any yards after the catch. Can anyone remember more then 3 amazing catches that were the norm in 2013?
With both still under contract for next year- can they reclaim the "best duo" we gave them? A speed threat will be needed.

We believed: The Oline would continue to make strides and grow after starting the entire 2013 season together.
What happened: 8+ line combinations throughout the season. Every member of that 2013 unit missed at least one game. Garza & Slausen both missed 3 of the first 4 games. Slausen was then lost for the season. Mills has been hurt and not grown as had expected. DLP was lost for the year. Bushrod and Long both missed a game. The production in the running game nearly disappeared, an argument could be made they just simply didn't call enough run plays, but even when they did this mash unit didn't perform well enough.
Pass blocking also took a step back as they have given up more sacks then last year.
New bodies will be needed- namely a RT... a healthy Slausen, a better run/pass ratio could also help. There are a few building blocks in place- a healthy season could see this being a much better line.

Matt Forte & Marty Bennett played at or near Pro bowl caliber. They can continue that next year. Given a deep threat on the outside may open up even more chances for Both to make bigger plays. Fix/Tweak the Oline and play calling and Forte can return to running the ball more effectively. Probably need new backups for both of these players...but they do have the talent for next years new coaching staff.

QB- ahh that One Name that shall not be mentioned... I'm assuming he returns based simply on contract. Fix the things above and add that deep threat and (some) people will gladly say that name again. The potential is still higher then a journeyman/rookie. Can he do the same positives and limit the dreaded, hated, much talked about turnovers? With healthy Twin Towers and Oline, some better game plans- I can easily see another year of Bears QB records... which isn't saying much. New GM/Coach should get the chance to choose, and not be chosen based on that Name.

Continue on for Defense......

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense:
What we said/thought: As long as we are in the mid level- we can compete. (with our top offense)
What really happened: While the run defense improved the pass coverage was abysmal. The scheme that was forced onto Mel Tucker when he first arrived- remember that? Run Lovie's D and the learn what the Vet's already know? Yeah- that sucked.
So this year they said OK- now implement your own thing- THAT didn't work either. After two years of historically bad defense- they can't get any worse can they?

The free agent idea: Bring in some pass rush, Dline help in 2 rookies, and be overall healthier. QB pressure will help the secondary not have to cover as long.
What happened: Pass rush didn't happen. Note: first 4 games the Dline had to worry about the option- forcing them to play contain and not rush as much.
The counted on Vet's are lost- Peanut and Briggs were shells of their former selves- both placed on IR
Free Agents Houston and Allen didn't rush the passer as intended. Injuries for both hampered them- Houston was lost for the year on stupidity. And Allen dealt with sickness early and possibly lost a step.

Reason for Optimism?
Fuller, Ego, Sutton, Jones, Bostic, Jennings... Houston, Allen, Ratliff, Mundy and if brought back Paea.

That's a start... is it good enough- NO. But we can all agree that Tucker was awful. How much of his coaching and calls were the reason for NOT covering Jordy Nelson, missing tackles, giving up 3rd and long? We will find out. Much is still needed- a MLB and Safety. Can they be better then the past two years? I would hope so. Force 2 more punts a game, get a couple more turnovers and we can start to talk about a Mid grade on overall defense.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst to First is a tough call- Worst to competing is much more realistic.
Facing Rodgers, The Lions Defense, and an emerging Vikings team will need to be dealt with first.

Having a last place schedule for next year will help. The scheme and coaching will be a huge factor. But I don't see how they can be worse next year. Go Bears.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always enjoy reading your posts Joey. As for next year's LAST place schedule, its a killer since we'll have the NFC West (ouch) and the AFC West (c'mon man).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it can happen. Here is how. Lead the league in turnover ratio = worst to first. Sorry for such a short answer to such a large problem.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the NFL, where turnarounds happen every year... and there's certainly enough guys offensively to put together a solid 2015 campaign.

However, next season is SOOO far away at this point. So much to be done.

O-line and QB play REALLY has to improve. Defensively, so much to do. This is all certainly longer than a one year project. Doesn't mean they can't exceed expectations next year.

I would say the biggest obstacle facing the Bears, may be how good the rest of the division looks to be. GB/DET obviously… and Minny is CERTAINLY on the upswing.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, they re-signed Garza, so we are well on the way toward complete league domination already.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always enjoy reading your posts Joey. As for next year's LAST place schedule, its a killer since we'll have the NFC West (ouch) and the AFC West (c'mon man).

Didn't know which divisions we would face... Oh shit.

At least we didn't finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs and kept Tresty and made excuses for Tucker and Emery draft a new out of position tweener player 30 spots before anyone else would... wait that still might happen with Emery... God I hope we get sweeping changes.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with peter. There's no way this team makes the playoffs next year. In fact, this team has a better chance at last place in the division than they do at winning it. It's silly to think otherwise.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just playing devils advocate.
1. This year many thought we had a very good chance at Playoffs...some even predicting SB possibilities.
2. One Year later- with many of the same players still here. It's silly to think they can't be any better then last place?

1. This year was so bad in many aspects of the team- Entire Coaching staff is fired- possibly the GM. Thus naming them as the problem- can't get the "talent" to work together- it's their system.
2. If it was the coaching- then doesn't it stand to reason that new coaches, different scheme, better play calling/balance... could make this "talent" successful? (Dallas comes to mind)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. This year many thought we had a very good chance at Playoffs...some even predicting SB possibilities.

Okay...

2. One Year later- with many of the same players still here. It's silly to think they can't be any better then last place?

Why? I mean, aside from it being the NFL and crazy shit happening on a yearly basis. The Bears are an absolute mess. And lol… "The same players still here"... is not a positive. That is a BIG negative. What us fans thought would happen before the season is MEANINGLESS. This team is clearly pretty damn bad. Period.

1. This year was so bad in many aspects of the team- Entire Coaching staff is fired- possibly the GM. Thus naming them as the problem- can't get the "talent" to work together- it's their system.

I've got to be honest. I don't see a whole lot of talent. Where???… Please point it out to me. I see two fantastic WR's, one of whom is mentally unstable. I see a pretty good TE, and I see a RB in Matt Forte who has VERY likely seen his prime come and go. Not that he can't continue to be solid, but let's face it… he's 30 with a TON of mileage on him next year, and he's clearly lost a bit of a burst over the past year or two. He's not getting any younger.

Outside of that? I see a terrible offensive line, a QB situation that is a total mystery, and a defense that has been a laughing stock for two years. A defense that has money invested in veterans that look like their best years are behind them as well, and outside of a few young guys… very little promise.

2. If it was the coaching- then doesn't it stand to reason that new coaches, different scheme, better play calling/balance... could make this "talent" successful? (Dallas comes to mind)

Please don't compare this team's current situation to Dallas heading into last off-season. It's laughable. They have an MVP candidate QB, for one. Number two, they suffered more injuries to talented players on defense in 2013 than anyone and then had a fantastic draft in which they landed multiple stud offensive lineman.

Like I mentioned above, anything can happen. And the difference between 9-10 wins and 5-6 can sometimes just be the ball rolling your way more often than not. But with the way the North looks right now, this team is in big trouble next year. At least from where it looks right now.

I would be very happy if we had a season that reflected what Minnesota did this year. Play tough, improve as the season goes, new coach, new attitude, and young players stepping up. Give some good teams a run for their money. Win 7-8 games. Sure, I'm a die-hard… I'll be holding out for the 11-5 season. If it can happen in 2010, with how terrible that team looked on paper heading in. It can happen any year. But I have to be honest with myself, and with those I share my opinion with.

All I know is, this off-season will be extremely interesting and entertaining. More so than the season itself.

:suds:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rich... I should have written it like this:

Just playing devils advocate.
IF We BELIEVED THIS: This year many thought we had a very good chance at Playoffs...some even predicting SB possibilities.
THEN THIS: One Year later- with many of the same players still here. It's silly to think they can't be any better then last place?

IF THIS: This year was so bad in many aspects of the team- Entire Coaching staff is fired- possibly the GM. Thus naming them as the problem- can't get the "talent" to work together- it's their system.
THAN THIS: If it was the coaching- then doesn't it stand to reason that new coaches, different scheme, better play calling/balance... could make this "talent" successful? (Dallas comes to mind)

Again devils advocate. I'm just looking for any hope... We'll know more tomorrow. PLEASE NOTE I've put "TALENT" in quotation marks. I think those remarks early in the year about how talented they are were blown out of proportion. And we have seen that throughout the season. They simply aren't.

The reason I compared to Dallas- last year 8-8. A mistake prone QB who threw too many bad picks. (they talked about replacing him with Johnny Football!!) A Defense that was awful. Threw the ball too much.
They shored up the D and Oline. Ran the ball more. And are winning. Could the bears do that? Sure.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can it happen? Sure. It's the NFL, damn near anything can happen from one season to the next(except the packers turning into shit... that seems to take about 30 years and 2 great qb's...)

Do I believe it will happen? Not really. Even if they do clean house and nuke it, I think the locker room is still going to be too dysfunctional to go straight to the top. Is there a Thibodeau clone in the NFL?

Who knows, maybe a few off season press conferences might get me to believe(yeah right, fell for that crap 2 years ago won't happen again).

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible?

Yes. Maybe it is unlikely. But it's possible.
As evidence I submit: the rest of the NFL. Just about every division except for the AFC East are up for grabs each season.
Each year, teams drop and other teams compete. Injuries can derail a team. Suspensions are happening with more frequency it seems. You never know.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible. The Bears need the right coaching staff to get this team going.

I'm anxious to see what the Bears do this offseason.

bgduece

Kiss my Ass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very hard to beat Aaron Rodgers...no matter who is the coach, or who is the quarterback.

I will settle on a playoff berth!!!!!!

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can? Sure anything is possible, Aaron Rodgers could break a leg next season first game. It will really depend upon the rest of the moves made by the new staff/gm in the off season. Do they dump Cutler and go with a rookie QB? Do they Keep Jay? Way to many probabilities. Is the new coach and gm going to try to switch the D to a 3-4 which will take a few years. Way to may variables. Who's going to be the starting C on the O line next year??? Garza is old and not getting better?