• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calling All Archers | Archery Discussion Thread

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am going to be getting into archery. Hopefully I will get good enough over the Summer to start hunting for deer in the Fall. I am excited for this. Always wanted to get into it. Now I am just trying to figure out which bow to buy. Not sure if I want to start with a recurve or go with a compound. My roommates family has a couple of used ones, and a ton of land. So I will probably try those out and see which one I prefer. I imagine the compounds are easier for beginners... Thoughts?

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
archery I love it,go with a compound bow,don't let people kid you a 60lb bow is all you need it will take most anything you will hunt,,,

there are a number of good lines of bows out there I like Mathews myself,,don't buy one because you like the way it looks and use a release,scott releases are the best and they have many different styles a release will save your fingers and you will be more accurate using one

most archery dealers will let you try out their demo bows try as many as you can before buying,,once you have decided on what you want look on ebay it will save you money

last but not least get the right draw length,it is one of the most important things that you can do

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yo: Thank you sir.

So eager to start. I've wanted to do archery since I was a child.

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there are any 3d shoots in your area go it's good competition and will get you used to shooting different distances at different types of game animals,,you will learn a lot at these shoots

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there are any 3d shoots in your area go it's good competition and will get you used to shooting different distances at different types of game animals,,you will learn a lot at these shoots

Yea, my roommates stepfather has 22 acres. He already has 3d targets and shit set up. They're all big into it.

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, my roommates stepfather has 22 acres. He already has 3d targets and shit set up. They're all big into it.

looks like you are all set then,,have fun

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff,

I'm bored as hell and started looking around, seen this thread thought I would comment.

I have archery hunted most of my life 40+ hunting years. Killed my first deer with a 27 pound recurve bow and a cedar shaft arrow. It's not exclusively the equipment it's also your ability to shoot accurately. Shoot often and from many different places.

When you go and purchase, I would recommend a high energy cam compound bow, I'm a Darton shooter because they are made in Michigan, technology has taken most brands of bows to the point where it really doesn't matter the brand.

Don't go for a super high poundage bow, only go with what you can handle right then and there in the store. Everyone want to crank these bows up to 70-80 pounds, I say bullshit!!! The first time a master buck walks out on you and stops 10 feet outside you're shooting zone when you're already drawn back, You will thank me....

Hold the bow for 60 seconds if you're not shaking it's the right poundage for you, as a reference my bow is set at 53 pound, I can hold it for 3 minute without getting the shakes. (It's only a 1/4" let-off for 50% reduction, so I get everything)

I make my own arrows and still use aluminum shafts, so I won't comment on them, let those that use (store purchased) carbon arrows give you a better line.

Releases, hell yes go with one, they improved my shooting to 6 on a dollar bill at 40 yards to 6 on a dime at 40 yards.

Get your hunting tips (broadheads), soon after buying the bow and make sure the accuracy of the arrow remains the same, some broadheads make arrow sink and or float.....don't be "that guy".

Comments made by grayghost are also very sound advise.... See yah on the hockey board..

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathews, PSE, Hoyt all good products.

I own a older Hoyt Raptor that still packs a real good punch. I also have a mega old PSE that was my first ever Bow. Mathews are real nice but you pay for it too. Make sure you get a good set of sights and have it set up by a pro. Get your anchor points down to a habit and enjoy the fun. 3D shoots are a lot of fun as well.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go for a super high poundage bow, only go with what you can handle right then and there in the store. Everyone want to crank these bows up to 70-80 pounds, I say bullshit!!! The first time a master buck walks out on you and stops 10 feet outside you're shooting zone when you're already drawn back, You will thank me....

Hold the bow for 60 seconds if you're not shaking it's the right poundage for you, as a reference my bow is set at 53 pound, I can hold it for 3 minute without getting the shakes. (It's only a 1/4" let-off for 50% reduction, so I get everything)

This

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shot for my first time. Real fun, and my aim is pretty damn good. Especially seeing as it was getting dark out and pretty hard to see. My friends father game me his older Bear recurve. I just have to get it strung. Gonna head to Cabela's tomorrow.

My form wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. I tend to lean forward a little, but it was more due to fatigue. I shot about 20 arrows. No armguard or finger thing.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to have a new addiction. Between guitar and archery, I can't have anymore hobbies.

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shot for my first time. Real fun, and my aim is pretty damn good. Especially seeing as it was getting dark out and pretty hard to see. My friends father game me his older Bear recurve. I just have to get it strung. Gonna head to Cabela's tomorrow.

My form wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. I tend to lean forward a little, but it was more due to fatigue. I shot about 20 arrows. No armguard or finger thing.

remember to get a release it will save your fingers and produce tighter groups

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I prefer to do it the hard way. A trigger just seems like you're turning it into a gun. What draws me to the bow so much (the recurve) is the tradition of it. I'm gonna pick up a three finger glove thing. I have an L.L. Bean near me, their selection of gloves is way cheaper than Cabela's.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I prefer to do it the hard way. A trigger just seems like you're turning it into a gun. What draws me to the bow so much (the recurve) is the tradition of it. I'm gonna pick up a three finger glove thing. I have an L.L. Bean near me, their selection of gloves is way cheaper than Cabela's.

If you're going with a recurve, stick with a three finger glove, chances are that the server (where the arrow nock attaches to the string) will not be made of a material that will hold up to a trigger. You can get away with using a trigger on a convensional string by tightly wrapping it with dental floss; once the floss wears out you can replace-it, even in the field.

I wrap mine anyway, nothing like getting to the hunt and finding something that simple, f-ing up your day. Dental floss is cheap and easy to carry.

I shot with glove for many years, suggestion to you, go and purchase a chunk of bees wax, don't buy that cheap shit they sell you at the archery shop, real bee wax, smear the shit all over the finger tips, warm-it with a blow dryer and repeat many times until you make the tips of the glove WATERPROOF. Worst thing that can happen is wet fingers in the field, you will NOT shoot consistant between wet and dry fingers and carry a piece of the bees wax in your pocket, incase you get the glove or string wet.

I hunt alot in swaps, so going with a trigger got me away from that worry.