• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California bans travel to Alabama, 7 other states:

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I admit I've never tried to adopt a child, but I would have bet a large sum of money I could have went down to Kid-Mart and gotten one pretty cheap.

Well I can tell by the crowd I've inadvertantly made a political thread in the college football forum.

32b.gif

Didn't even realize we were on college football board.
HA

But yes, that was route this was destined to take

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Private business is regulated all the time. I have no issue with church not having to marry people of their choosing. There still are churches that refuse to perform interracial marriages
Pretty sure there are plenty of bakeries that have been fined and sued for not doing cakes for gay weddings.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Private business is regulated all the time. I have no issue with church not having to marry people of their choosing. There still are churches that refuse to perform interracial marriages

It's no different than a private business owner refusing service to people of a certain race. It's racist and it will probably result in their demise, but it's their right to do so.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's your private business you have that right. Probably won't help your business thrive though. Point is, bigoted or not, you can't encroach on a private businesses right to run their business how they choose.

If you serve the public then you shouldn't be able to discriminate against a person because of their color or race or wh they want to be with. I'm not all that fond of golf clubs who have or have had no black members. I know its a private club so that gets tricky. But if yu have a public business in Alabama and dont like or want blacks to go to it then it's the goverments job to either shut you down or make you change that practice. The whole church thing I agree you shouldnt make a church marry gays ( when has anyone been forced to? ) but you can't take public money or get tax credits if you do discriminate like that or just feel its agianst your religion.
It's freedom of religion not freedom to discriminate.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's no different than a private business owner refusing service to people of a certain race. It's racist and it will probably result in their demise, but it's their right to do so.

No. If you have a restaurant. Your reason for not serving someone can't be because he's black-Asian-Hispanic- gay.
If it is then the government can and should shut you down.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you serve the public then you shouldn't be able to discriminate against a person because of their color or race or wh they want to be with. I'm not all that fond of gold clubs who have or have had no black members. I know its a private club so that gets tricky. But if yu have a public business in Alabama and dont like or want blacks to go to it then it's the goverments job to either shut you down or make you change that practice. The whole church thing I agree you shouldnt make a church marry gays ( when has anyone been forced to? ) but you can't take public money or get tax credits if you do discriminate like that or just feel its agianst your religion.
It's freedom of religion not freedom to discriminate.

There was a law that was being forced through that threatened to revoke clergy status of a church that refused to marry gay couples. It had a great deal of momentum.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure there are plenty of bakeries that have been fined and sued for not doing cakes for gay weddings.

Which is not a church, so not sure what that has to do with anything I said.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. If you have a restaurant. Your reason for not serving someone can't be because he's black-Asian-Hispanic- gay.
If it is then the government can and should shut you down.

Why the hell would you want to give such a place your business to start with?

If someone doesn't want to serve me because I'm white, please fucking tell me and I'll take my happy white ass down the road somewhere else.

A bakery isn't a church.

Bakeries are owned by private citizens, who are their own church according to freedom of religion.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a law that was being forced through that threatened to revoke clergy status of a church that refused to marry gay couples. It had a great deal of momentum.

There is no such law. It's like ordering a chatholic church to marry a

Where is this law?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which wouldn't stand up to the supreme court. However, I'm skeptical said law was ever tried

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If someone doesn't want to serve me because I'm white, please fucking tell me and I'll take my happy white ass down the road somewhere else.

Bakeries are owned by private citizens, who are their own church according to freedom of religion.

Wrong

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do realize you live in America right? You're cool with a no Blacks allowed sing in front of a restaurant? You're a sad sad man if you are. And the whole then dont go there is you're answer then your parents did a poor job and your school did a poor job.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, adoption isn't like shopping for TV's, but in both instances there are multiple options to choose from. I'm assuming that in Alabama there are at least a couple foster care/adoption agencies that are completely secular and have no issue with adopting out to gay parents. Likewise, there are probably several agencies that were originally started by churches or are faith-based, and they would like the option to place all their children with opposite-sex couples.

I can't think of any reason why both shouldn't be allowed to operate as they choose, regardless of whether or not they receive government funding for any part of their budget. It's unreasonable for the government to dictate that people/agencies stop exercising their religious beliefs just because they took gov't money. That comes close to nullifying the free exercise clause of the first amendment

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no such law. It's like ordering a chatholic church to marry a

Where is this law?

Which wouldn't stand up to the supreme court. However, I'm skeptical said law was ever tried

I'll have to do some digging, but it was gaining momentum at the time. I'll have to see what happened to it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A bakery isn't a Church. What part of this don't you get? lol. I can be a Satanist and am free to practice it all I want. But if i get a city licence and pay taxes and serve the public I can't discriminate against Christians.