• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bynum for Gasol?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you're gonna tank, I guess you better do it right. NOW, let's note that this has only been DISCUSSED. If it were to go through, the Lakers would cut Bynum before his contract would be guaranteed. I would like to see them try to get some assets for Gasol but that may be tough to do, so it looks like they're giving up on the season IF they make this move. Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move doesn't make any sense at all, unless Lakers are getting something relevant in return. I don't see it happening, Gasol still can be a valuable player on a team, while Bynum IMO is finished. Lakers got rid of Bynum for a reason, but i guess it really doesn't matter anymore, save whatever money you can.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have Gasol over Bynum any day of the week. This would be absurd if the Lakers are even thinking about it.

I'm assuming it is a contract/money issue. Free up cap space??

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be one of the most moronic moves in NBA history. Bynum has absolutely NO UPSIDE for the Lakers. He is in terrible shape physically and is a head case mentally. Why bring a cancer into a locker room that is already struggling? I think the Lakers can get someone far more capable for Gasol than Bynum. If this goes through, watch the Lakers fall even further in the Pacific Division.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move doesn't make any sense at all, unless Lakers are getting something relevant in return. I don't see it happening, Gasol still can be a valuable player on a team, while Bynum IMO is finished. Lakers got rid of Bynum for a reason, but i guess it really doesn't matter anymore, save whatever money you can.

Oh & I almost forgot, how about firing Dumbtoni before doing anything else? :L

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move makes a ton of sense. They probably do not want to be in the luxury to "not set the world on fire". Getting out of the luxury helps them make moves later on and Gasol isn't really playing anyways. I do not think you will get too much for a 33 year old big who seems to have the same attitude Bynum does right now.

Keep in mind Lakers are not trying to win this year or even next year no matter what they tell their fans. They are repaying Kobe some of the money he made them and setting them selves up for a rebuild, most likely going after Love to build around.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there has to be a better way avoiding the luxury designation without adding Bynum to the team. I just don't get it. Even if they admit internally that they need a couple of years to reload for a shot at the playoffs, adding a loser like Bynum is a step backwards in my opiniion.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a salary dump. Pau doesn't fit in D'Antoni's system. They trade Pau for Bynum, then waive Bynum before the $12million is due (January 12th?) and it relieves them of approx. $20million in salary.

This avoids paying the luxury tax for a roster that isn't going to the playoffs and wouldn't last long if they did. It also frees up playing time for some of the younger players who are trying to stick in the league.

It also helps Cleveland because Pau is a better fit for them than the Lakers. Pau would also be a good veteran for Cleveland's young guys to learn from. If Pau works out, Cleveland can re-sign him to a lesser contract. If he doesn't, they can just let him walk at the end of the season.

Makes sense for both teams, imo.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there has to be a better way avoiding the luxury designation without adding Bynum to the team. I just don't get it. Even if they admit internally that they need a couple of years to reload for a shot at the playoffs, adding a loser like Bynum is a step backwards in my opiniion.

Bynum will be added and then released. I'd be very surprised if he ever puts on a uniform.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be one of the most moronic moves in NBA history. Bynum has absolutely NO UPSIDE for the Lakers. He is in terrible shape physically and is a head case mentally. Why bring a cancer into a locker room that is already struggling? I think the Lakers can get someone far more capable for Gasol than Bynum. If this goes through, watch the Lakers fall even further in the Pacific Division.
You should have read the article first.

By trading Gasol in a package for Bynum and then waiving him, the injury-ravaged Lakers could save more than $20 million in salaries and luxury taxes, which could help them maintain financial flexibility heading into the next few summers. A Gasol-Bynum trade would have to include at least one other player and perhaps other assets from Cleveland.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he never sees the light of day on the court. I don't have a problem waiting for the Lakers to take a couple of years to rebuild, but bringing Bynum back???? Yikes.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jims_Doors;4273314[B said:
]You should have read the article first.[/B]

By trading Gasol in a package for Bynum and then waiving him, the injury-ravaged Lakers could save more than $20 million in salaries and luxury taxes, which could help them maintain financial flexibility heading into the next few summers. A Gasol-Bynum trade would have to include at least one other player and perhaps other assets from Cleveland.

Yes, that always helps...LOL

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stick with Gasol so the Lakers can at least have a couple more interesting games, he'll walk when the season's finished anyhow. No sense in getting money off the books that's going to be coming off anyway while making your team worse, unless you're in full out tank-mode. Which might not be such a bad idea, but I doubt Kobe wants to lose on purpose.

If they can get a pick or two for Pau at this point I'd be happy with that.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genius trade if Lakers can get it done.

You all are missing the point minus TF12....

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a salary dump. Pau doesn't fit in D'Antoni's system. They trade Pau for Bynum, then waive Bynum before the $12million is due (January 12th?) and it relieves them of approx. $20million in salary.

This avoids paying the luxury tax for a roster that isn't going to the playoffs and wouldn't last long if they did. It also frees up playing time for some of the younger players who are trying to stick in the league.

It also helps Cleveland because Pau is a better fit for them than the Lakers. Pau would also be a good veteran for Cleveland's young guys to learn from. If Pau works out, Cleveland can re-sign him to a lesser contract. If he doesn't, they can just let him walk at the end of the season.

Makes sense for both teams, imo.

I knew there was an explanation. I thought it was a money issue, the only explanation.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it'd be a salary dump and nothing more. As a result, they'd pretty much be giving up on the season

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it'd be a salary dump and nothing more. As a result, they'd pretty much be giving up on the season

They admitted that publicly on November 25th, they also stated they gave up on next year too...

:behindsofa:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew there was an explanation. I thought it was a money issue, the only explanation.

Exactly. It's not as if the Lakers have a problem paying the luxury tax, they've been paying luxury taxes for about as long as the NBA has had a luxury tax. But they don't want to pay a luxury tax for a roster that isn't going to be contending for a title.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They admitted that publicly on November 25th, they also stated they gave up on next year too...

:behindsofa:

I wouldn't say gave up on next season, but they realize that the only FA available next year that would immediately put them back in contention is Lebron and it's unlikely they'll get him. I have no doubt that they will make him a very attractive offer, but I think everyone (including the Lakers) would be surprised if he signs with them.

I think they want to try to add a couple of higher end FA's over the next 2 FA classes to try and have a contending team for Kobe's final season. After that, Kobe retires and they now have his salary off the books to add another max player (I believe Westbrook is available right about the time Kobe's current contract ends).