• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bynum for Gasol?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's highly unlikely for them to move Pau without getting anything back. If they wanted it straight up it'd be a done deal by now. Just my opinion though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's highly unlikely for them to move Pau without getting anything back. If they wanted it straight up it'd be a done deal by now. Just my opinion though.

The salaries have to match up and Pau makes more than Bynum. So, the deal would likely have to involve another player or 2. Bynum for Pau won't kill this deal. What may kill it is who the Cavs are willing to give up and who the Lakers want.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salaries have to match up and Pau makes more than Bynum. So, the deal would likely have to involve another player or 2. Bynum for Pau won't kill this deal. What may kill it is who the Cavs are willing to give up and who the Lakers want.

If one team is making a move to get out of the luxury and the other team is not going into the luxury it is ok, I think.

The Cavs can afford to add Pau with out going into the Luxury and since this move is taking the Lakers out of the luxury the salaries do not have to match up, I think.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, Kyrie is making about the right amount to make the salaries match up...in B4 stern blocks trade.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one team is making a move to get out of the luxury and the other team is not going into the luxury it is ok, I think.

The Cavs can afford to add Pau with out going into the Luxury and since this move is taking the Lakers out of the luxury the salaries do not have to match up, I think.

Hope you're right!! It would make getting the deal done much easier.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, Kyrie is making about the right amount to make the salaries match up...in B4 stern blocks trade.

:lol: If the Lakers get Kyrie in this, the conspiracy theories would be AWESOME!!

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago, Bynum was playing for a max contract, now he's a player that would be traded and released. Smh!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take this trade in a heart beat for a number of reasons already discussed. Gasol is done in LA and sending him to Cleveland for Bynum is perfect because it removes $20 million from the Lakers books and Cleveland saves some cash and gets rid of this headache. No worries, Bynum isn't going to play a minute for the Lakers as he'll be released in order for Cleveland to be removed from their fiduciary obligation dictated by the contract to pay him the full content of the contract.

Besides, the Lakers know what condition Bynum's knees are in because they snookered Philly in the first place. As I have posted many times, his knees are so bad he can barely walk and he'll be a candidate for knee replacement surgery in a couple of years, way earlier than commonly seen. He has worn out his welcome in LA and just about everywhere else. Bynum will be a free agent but he has already stated he doesn't want to play anymore. Maybe Pat Riley and the Heat can convince otherwise.

In addition, the deal may also include draft picks of which the Lakers disparately need since they have no first round in 2015. It may include a second this year and a first in 2015. So this thing is still evolving and makes perfect sense for both teams. Pull the trigger.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

The link starts with trade questions.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take this trade in a heart beat for a number of reasons already discussed. Gasol is done in LA and sending him to Cleveland for Bynum is perfect because it removes $20 million from the Lakers books and Cleveland saves some cash and gets rid of this headache. No worries, Bynum isn't going to play a minute for the Lakers as he'll be released in order for Cleveland to be removed from their fiduciary obligation dictated by the contract to pay him the full content of the contract.

Besides, the Lakers know what condition Bynum's knees are in because they snookered Philly in the first place. As I have posted many times, his knees are so bad he can barely walk and he'll be a candidate for knee replacement surgery in a couple of years, way earlier than commonly seen. He has worn out his welcome in LA and just about everywhere else. Bynum will be a free agent but he has already stated he doesn't want to play anymore. Maybe Pat Riley and the Heat can convince otherwise.

In addition, the deal may also include draft picks of which the Lakers disparately need since they have no first round in 2015. It may include a second this year and a first in 2015. So this thing is still evolving and makes perfect sens e for both teams. Pull the trigger.
No chance the Cavs would give up a 2nd and a 1st round draft pick for Gasol who they may not want and who probably wouldn't sign with them in the off season regardless if they'd want to keep him.

I'd keep the draft picks and just pay Bynum than give up picks.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA Salary Cap FAQ

The link starts with trade questions.

It looks like they need to use an exception because I think being over the salary cap is not the same as being in the luxury.

There is a ton of exceptions and I do not feel like reading through all that stuff. Worst case scenario the salaries have to line up or keep CLE under the salary cap and that will only take ~$5m in salary....so Kyrie or Bennett would work. Maybe Waiters and Zeller?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be one of the most moronic moves in NBA history. Bynum has absolutely NO UPSIDE for the Lakers. He is in terrible shape physically and is a head case mentally. Why bring a cancer into a locker room that is already struggling? I think the Lakers can get someone far more capable for Gasol than Bynum. If this goes through, watch the Lakers fall even further in the Pacific Division.

You took the words right out of my mouth. If the Lakers want Bynum that bad, just wait until after Jan 7th, and he will be a free agent. Why would they eliminate Pau Gasol when he will be gone and they will have that free salary to get something much better then Bynum in the summer?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move doesn't make any sense at all, unless Lakers are getting something relevant in return. I don't see it happening, Gasol still can be a valuable player on a team, while Bynum IMO is finished. Lakers got rid of Bynum for a reason, but i guess it really doesn't matter anymore, save whatever money you can.

Gearing up for a run at some big names in the offseason, only logical sense this makes.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance the Cavs would give up a 2nd and a 1st round draft pick for Gasol who they may not want and who probably wouldn't sign with them in the off season regardless if they'd want to keep him.

The Cavs had interest in Gasol last summer and were actively discussing trades with the Lakers. Once Dwight bolted to Houston, the Lakers decided to keep Gasol. So, there still might be interest on the Cavs part. If the Cavs want to make the playoffs and feel Gasol could help that short term goal, a trade could happen.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You took the words right out of my mouth. If the Lakers want Bynum that bad, just wait until after Jan 7th, and he will be a free agent. Why would they eliminate Pau Gasol when he will be gone and they will have that free salary to get something much better then Bynum in the summer?

Backread dude!! You're way behind!!:lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a salary dump. Pau doesn't fit in D'Antoni's system. They trade Pau for Bynum, then waive Bynum before the $12million is due (January 12th?) and it relieves them of approx. $20million in salary.

This avoids paying the luxury tax for a roster that isn't going to the playoffs and wouldn't last long if they did. It also frees up playing time for some of the younger players who are trying to stick in the league.

It also helps Cleveland because Pau is a better fit for them than the Lakers. Pau would also be a good veteran for Cleveland's young guys to learn from. If Pau works out, Cleveland can re-sign him to a lesser contract. If he doesn't, they can just let him walk at the end of the season.

Makes sense for both teams, imo.

Exactly. This would be a great trade for the Lakers. They rid themselves of Pau who hasn't cared about playing for the Lakers for a couple of seasons now. They shed the salary to get below the luxury threshold thus resetting the repeater tax timeline. They potentially acquire an asset such as a draft pick or young player with upside.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Depending on how badly the Cavs want to avoid paying the $12million will determine what the Lakers can get. I could see a 1st or 2nd round pick and/or a player, but I don't see the Cavs giving up both a 1st and 2nd round pick. A healthy and motivated Pau could definitely help them (especially with how weak the East is), but at 33 he's not worth 2 picks to a young, building team like the Cavs.

He would be a good addition to help them get to the playoffs and to maybe keep around at a much lower price for a couple of seasons as a solid veteran influence for the young guys.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs had interest in Gasol last summer and were actively discussing trades with the Lakers. Once Dwight bolted to Houston, the Lakers decided to keep Gasol. So, there still might be interest on the Cavs part. If the Cavs want to make the playoffs and feel Gasol could help that short term goal, a trade could happen.
I'm not saying the trade won't go down, just saying that I find it hard to believe that the Cavs would throw in future draft picks, to make it go down.

From a money aspect, the Lakers need this to happen more than the Cavs do. Cavs already paid Andrew 6mil which was guaranteed. They only owe him another 6.25mil if they can't move him by the 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd team got involved.

Bynum signed a two-year contract for $24.8 million with the Cavs, but only $6 million of it is guaranteed before Jan. 7. After that date, the full $12.25 million this season is guaranteed. Next season's $12.5 million is not guaranteed until July 10.

If the Cavs are not able to trade Bynum by Jan. 7 and his contract becomes fully guaranteed, Bynum will most certainly want to be released so he would be free to sign with any team. The Cavs, however, are not assured to do that. Bynum would still be a trade asset from now until July 10 because of how his contract is structured. The Cavs would likely still try to move Bynum by the Feb. 20 trade deadline.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bynum signed a two-year contract for $24.8 million with the Cavs, but only $6 million of it is guaranteed before Jan. 7. After that date, the full $12.25 million this season is guaranteed. Next season's $12.5 million is not guaranteed until July 10.

If the Cavs are not able to trade Bynum by Jan. 7 and his contract becomes fully guaranteed, Bynum will most certainly want to be released so he would be free to sign with any team. The Cavs, however, are not assured to do that. Bynum would still be a trade asset from now until July 10 because of how his contract is structured. The Cavs would likely still try to move Bynum by the Feb. 20 trade deadline.

It would be nice if you posted the link or source of where you copied & paste these quotes from.