• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bynum for Gasol?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the trade won't go down, just saying that I find it hard to believe that the Cavs would throw in future draft picks, to make it go down.

From a money aspect, the Lakers need this to happen more than the Cavs do. Cavs already paid Andrew 6mil which was guaranteed. They only owe him another 6.25mil if they can't move him by the 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd team got involved.

Bynum signed a two-year contract for $24.8 million with the Cavs, but only $6 million of it is guaranteed before Jan. 7. After that date, the full $12.25 million this season is guaranteed. Next season's $12.5 million is not guaranteed until July 10.

If the Cavs are not able to trade Bynum by Jan. 7 and his contract becomes fully guaranteed, Bynum will most certainly want to be released so he would be free to sign with any team. The Cavs, however, are not assured to do that. Bynum would still be a trade asset from now until July 10 because of how his contract is structured. The Cavs would likely still try to move Bynum by the Feb. 20 trade deadline.

Didn't think you did. I was just indicating that there has been previous interest on the Cavs part to trade for Pau. If a trade went down only between the Lakers and Cavs, the Cavs would have to include a pick or another player to match salaries. I don't think that would be the best thing for the Cavs to do. As a Lakers fan I do though. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd team gets involved too.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau needs a fresh start and this season is done....if he's traded then thanks for the memories Pau. Shedding salary and maybe picking up an asset would bode well for our club in getting back to contending mode.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau needs a fresh start and this season is done....if he's traded then thanks for the memories Pau. Shedding salary and maybe picking up an asset would bode well for our club in getting back to contending mode.

In a way yes, but let's not lose sight of the fact that when healthy, Gasol has been a valuable asset. For the most part that is when Kobe is on the floor. I say we wait until Kobe is back and see how Gasol bounces back - he was playing pretty good before his infection. In the summer, they could then offer Gasol a considerable cut in pay and still have a really decent center to complement Kobe and still go after a forward like Carmelo Anthony. Anthony is not my favorite player, but a Gasol-Kobe-Carmelo Anthony might be able to have a good shot.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a way yes, but let's not lose sight of the fact that when healthy, Gasol has been a valuable asset. For the most part that is when Kobe is on the floor. I say we wait until Kobe is back and see how Gasol bounces back - he was playing pretty good before his infection. In the summer, they could then offer Gasol a considerable cut in pay and still have a really decent center to complement Kobe and still go after a forward like Carmelo Anthony. Anthony is not my favorite player, but a Gasol-Kobe-Carmelo Anthony might be able to have a good shot.

That ain't gonna happen, this wait & see what Gasol could do again is irrelevant, that ship has sailed already his done in LA. Maybe if the Lakers had another coach it would make sense to keep him, but Dumbtoni is not a Gasol supporter. Keeping him here will only add more salt to the wound, it's time to move on.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That ain't gonna happen, this wait & see what Gasol could do again is irrelevant, that ship has sailed already his done in LA. Maybe if the Lakers had another coach it would make sense to keep him, but Dumbtoni is not a Gasol supporter. Keeping him here will only add more salt to the wound, it's time to move on.

Perhaps, but the Lakers could offer Gasol up to 8 million a year - that would be a modest amount, but worth what he brings to the table and still allow the Lakers to make other moves. If Gasol says no - then nothing loss and nothing gained and the Lakers move on to Luol Deng and Carmelo Anthony

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but the Lakers could offer Gasol up to 8 million a year - that would be a modest amount, but worth what he brings to the table and still allow the Lakers to make other moves. If Gasol says no - then nothing loss and nothing gained and the Lakers move on to Luol Deng and Carmelo Anthony

There aren't enough basketballs for Anthony & Bryant to be on the same team. It would be a joke.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea I know watch you mean, but ugh! even that 8 million sounds awful to give him, especially if his still going to just have his head down every game like if his about to collapse on the court :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only thing Pau is bringing to the table these days is his half-ass efforts. It's been this way for awhile now. Trade him or renounce his rights this summer and move on. I wouldn't bring him back even for the minimum. I appreciate what Pau brought to the team his first few years, but I've had enough of his half-ass efforts and passive-aggressive actions.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess looking back Stern was right to veto the deal, we could have had CP3 for an old Pau and a crack-addicted Odom.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are low value players. Perhaps Pau is worth a low second round pick. Based on LAs history in recent trades I suspect cavaliers will need to conduct many medical evaluations of Pau and be cautious

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are low value players. Perhaps Pau is worth a low second round pick. Based on LAs history in recent trades I suspect cavaliers will need to conduct many medical evaluations of Pau and be cautious

Earlier I when I was looking at the deal, I didn't have the entire picture and I don't think any one in here does either. It's not about the player for the Lakers. By trading Gasol for Bynum, the Lakers would have until Jan 7th to waive Bynum. That date is important because that's when Bynumb's salary for 12 million is fully guaranteed. If they trade for Bynum and then waive him, they can dump 20 million in salary and luxary taxes and be under the salary cap at the end of this season which means they avoid paying the repeater tax as an offender and be freed up for making new long term deals that go over the salary cap. This season is a complete loss any way, so doing that move now makes really good sense

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakersrule hit the nail on the head....we figured wrong that maybe he recovered from surgery but his play has been suspect from start; he can't seem to plant his ass in the paint with his skills and use those baby hooks that helped during two runs which brought us titles. And most frustrating is his half ass effort on D...slow as syrup.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakersrule hit the nail on the head....we figured wrong that maybe he recovered from surgery but his play has been suspect from start; he can't seem to plant his ass in the paint with his skills and use those baby hooks that helped during two runs which brought us titles. And most frustrating is his half ass effort on D...slow as syrup.

Completely irrelevent because up to now Gasol has never fit in with D'antoni's system and he is history in June any ways. By trading him, the Lakers then waive Bynum immediately and save themselves 20 million and get ready for June by dropping below the salary cap

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier I when I was looking at the deal, I didn't have the entire picture and I don't think any one in here does either. It's not about the player for the Lakers. By trading Gasol for Bynum, the Lakers would have until Jan 7th to waive Bynum. That date is important because that's when Bynumb's salary for 12 million is fully guaranteed. If they trade for Bynum and then waive him, they can dump 20 million in salary and luxary taxes and be under the salary cap at the end of this season which means they avoid paying the repeater tax as an offender and be freed up for making new long term deals that go over the salary cap. This season is a complete loss any way, so doing that move now makes really good sense

Everyone else pretty much figured that out on the 1st page of this thread.

Glad you caught up though!!:suds:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone else pretty much figured that out on the 1st page of this thread.

Glad you caught up though!!:suds:

I was thinking that the Lakers were over the cap considerably more and I never even thought about the Lakers waiving Bynum for a salary dump, The only thing is the Lakers will have to get another player back - most likely a guard since D'ntoni runs a guard orientated offense. To make it work Cleveland might have to toss in Waiters and Zeller which would give the Lakers another guard and another 7 foot center to plug up the middle and see what happens

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago, Bynum was playing for a max contract, now he's a player that would be traded and released. Smh!
Here's the even greater irony in that....Mitch actually had a contract extension on the table for Bynum and Bynum PASSED on it, just incredible.

As for this trade, Pau is leaving someway, somehow....so I say let's find the best offer and strike a deal. Dantoni never wanted Pau there from the very first game when he benched him, so getting Pau out is best for everyone right now. As for Melo, at FIRST I was sort of on board with going after him...but then it hit me. Dantoni does not fit with superstar scorers or ball stoppers. How in the WORLD can we have success with TWO of those guys in Dantoni's offense? I can't get with Dantoni's concept for the most part. Superstars can't just be shoot it or move it players, they need time to get the shot or draw the attention of the defense. I don't mind the ball stopping so long as a smart decision is made by the person stopping the ball. Plus, Melo already has issues with Dantoni...if they're thinking about chasing Melo, then Dantoni has to go, but seeing as they chose Dantoni over Dwight, the trend might continue here.

While I'm rambling, another thing that's HUGE for the now and future, is that we have to hit on this upcoming draft pick. I don't know the standings, but I'd guess that we're around the 13 range as far as odds go. I'll say this much, with the way the lottery is, so long as you get in you may luck up. I mean D-Rose to the Bulls that year was a near miracle. Either we luck up....or David stern could you know...give us one...especially considering the fact that all of this mess started when he vetoed the Chris Paul trade.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the even greater irony in that....Mitch actually had a contract extension on the table for Bynum and Bynum PASSED on it, just incredible.

As for this trade, Pau is leaving someway, somehow....so I say let's find the best offer and strike a deal. Dantoni never wanted Pau there from the very first game when he benched him, so getting Pau out is best for everyone right now. As for Melo, at FIRST I was sort of on board with going after him...but then it hit me. Dantoni does not fit with superstar scorers or ball stoppers. How in the WORLD can we have success with TWO of those guys in Dantoni's offense? I can't get with Dantoni's concept for the most part. Superstars can't just be shoot it or move it players, they need time to get the shot or draw the attention of the defense. I don't mind the ball stopping so long as a smart decision is made by the person stopping the ball. Plus, Melo already has issues with Dantoni...if they're thinking about chasing Melo, then Dantoni has to go, but seeing as they chose Dantoni over Dwight, the trend might continue here.

While I'm rambling, another thing that's HUGE for the now and future, is that we have to hit on this upcoming draft pick. I don't know the standings, but I'd guess that we're around the 13 range as far as odds go. I'll say this much, with the way the lottery is, so long as you get in you may luck up. I mean D-Rose to the Bulls that year was a near miracle. Either we luck up....or David stern could you know...give us one...especially considering the fact that all of this mess started when he vetoed the Chris Paul trade.

I have never wanted 'Melo. 'Melo is the reason that D'Antoni got canned by the Knicks. The Knicks were doing well when 'Melo was out. As soon as he came back, the offense stalled. 'Melo would basically be the worst of Kobe minus the defense.

Not sure I agree about superstars not fitting in a move it or shoot it system. They just have to have the right attitude. I think that players like Durant, Westbrook, Lebron and Love (to name a few) would do just fine in a move it or shoot it system. That's basically what the Showtime Lakers ran and it seemed to work well.

Agree re: the draft. Need to get a good one.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that the Lakers were over the cap considerably more and I never even thought about the Lakers waiving Bynum for a salary dump, The only thing is the Lakers will have to get another player back - most likely a guard since D'ntoni runs a guard orientated offense. To make it work Cleveland might have to toss in Waiters and Zeller which would give the Lakers another guard and another 7 foot center to plug up the middle and see what happens

The whole point of making this trade is to dump Bynum and get under the luxury cap threshold. No one ever considered that Bynum would play. No way Waiters would be included. It would be a player like Gee or Miles. The best the Lakers could do is probably Miami's 2015 1st rounder. I don't think Pau's value is any higher than that. If Kyrie is hurt longterm, Cleveland isn't dealing anyway.