• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buyer or Seller?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually impressed by what FZ got in return for him.
I have no problem with any of the deals that were made. Each, in a bubble, look fine.

But i question his priorities. If he wasn’t working these tiny little deck chair trades, might he have had the time to get a Joc or Rodon trade done?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with any of the deals that were made. Each, in a bubble, look fine.

But i question his priorities. If he wasn’t working these tiny little deck chair trades, might he have had the time to get a Joc or Rodon trade done?
I doubt those deals didn't get done because he was too busy to work on them, come on man...

I'm sure when asked he'll say something about "we didn't like what was offered and he's been a great part of this team and we are still in it and fighting to win this year"

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt those deals didn't get done because he was too busy to work on them, come on man...

I'm sure when asked he'll say something about "we didn't like what was offered and he's been a great part of this team and we are still in it and fighting to win this year"
I think a more likely reason Rodon and Pederson did not get traded was due to the fact that FZ clearly stated that he wasn't selling and then, suddenly, changed his mind two days before the deadline. Yeah, I know that FO execs lie all the time and teams still check in but, at the same time, FO execs are going to focus on those they know are selling or are at least not saying that they are not selling.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is no guarantee that a comp pick will be had if Rodon walks. I expect the QO system to be gone this offseason.
Mark Feinsand @Feinsand

2m

Qualifying offer candidates this winter now include Willson Contreras, J.D. Martinez and Carlos Rodon. Noah Syndergaard will be ineligible since he received one last year.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought Ruf getting traded would be our blockbuster deal.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vaccum the Giants won all of these trades, including pulling a legit prospect out of paying rosenthal for a week and a half, and I get to keep watching rodon. But, it feels like the plan is to keep getting slightly positive value out of role player trades and see what happens.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vaccum the Giants won all of these trades, including pulling a legit prospect out of paying rosenthal for a week and a half, and I get to keep watching rodon. But, it feels like the plan is to keep getting slightly positive value out of role player trades and see what happens.
Peter’s looks nice, but what is his ceiling? 4th OF?

Great. Like you said, nice pickup for Rosenthal. But we can make that trade 1000 times and we won’t be anywhere closer to a playoff team. We have to get a Volpe or a Hassell or a Soto or a …. We need to start locking down roster slots for the next few years with difference makers. Acquiring hole-filler after hole-filler is getting no where fast.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter’s looks nice, but what is his ceiling? 4th OF?

Great. Like you said, nice pickup for Rosenthal. But we can make that trade 1000 times and we won’t be anywhere closer to a playoff team. We have to get a Volpe or a Hassell or a Soto or a …. We need to start locking down roster slots for the next few years with difference makers. Acquiring hole-filler after hole-filler is getting no where fast.
I guess the argument is you're increasing organizational capital that you can use to get somebody like an Ohtani.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the argument is you're increasing organizational capital that you can use to get somebody like an Ohtani.
But what is it going to cost us when we are the runner ups in the Ohtani sweepstakes?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what is it going to cost us when we are the runner ups in the Ohtani sweepstakes?
Well, if you KNOW that's how it's going to end, there is no point. The plan is to eventually NOT be the runner up

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Feinsand @Feinsand

2m

Qualifying offer candidates this winter now include Willson Contreras, J.D. Martinez and Carlos Rodon. Noah Syndergaard will be ineligible since he received one last year.
I understand that the deadline to implement an international draft was July 25th but I am skeptical that is all we hear about it. I wouldn't be surprised if MLB and MLBPA make concessions and eliminate the QO system.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Committed to stabilizing defense going forward?!? Why the hell did we sign all these DH types anyway? I liked Ruf, but he was a true DH, and because of injuries he had to play way more in the field that he should have.

We'll have to wait and see how all this plays out, but at this point, all these trades together change absolutely nothing about the team's makeup in 2022. None of the guys we traded for is a difference maker. And none of these guys coming here are anyone I'd pay $6 to see even in the AFL. Color me disappointed, until more clarity comes out.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Committed to stabilizing defense going forward?!? Why the hell did we sign all these DH types anyway? I liked Ruf, but he was a true DH, and because of injuries he had to play way more in the field that he should have.

We'll have to wait and see how all this plays out, but at this point, all these trades together change absolutely nothing about the team's makeup in 2022. None of the guys we traded for is a difference maker. And none of these guys coming here are anyone I'd pay $6 to see even in the AFL. Color me disappointed, until more clarity comes out.

On the outside it looks like we traded apples for apples and oranges for oranges. Not sure what the thought process is but I guess we’re gonna find out.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outfield prospect Tristan Peters, who was promoted to AA by the Brewers just before the trade, will be assigned to the Giants AA affiliate.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farhan Zaidi said the Giants discussed Juan Soto with the Nats, who ultimately liked the package from San Diego better. Zaidi said no prospect was off the table.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farhan Zaidi said the Giants discussed Juan Soto with the Nats, who ultimately liked the package from San Diego better. Zaidi said no prospect was off the table.
Assuming he is being honest, that tells me he offer ONE of Harrison/Luciano, plus other pieces. I can’t imagine they would have turned down BOTH Harrison and Luciano (plus).

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he is being honest, that tells me he offer ONE of Harrison/Luciano, plus other pieces. I can’t imagine they would have turned down BOTH Harrison and Luciano (plus).
Didnt the Padres give up like 4 of their top 5 prospects? No way we could beat that. On the radio they said if FZ had been really creative he could have dealt Rodon and Joc for 2-3 big prospects then add in Luciano and someone and maybe get it done.

I suspect what happened was everyone lowballed us on Rodon and FZ thought better to not just take whatever because then he has the rep of being the guy who will sell cheap

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt the Padres give up like 4 of their top 5 prospects? No way we could beat that. On the radio they said if FZ had been really creative he could have dealt Rodon and Joc for 2-3 big prospects then add in Luciano and someone and maybe get it done.

I suspect what happened was everyone lowballed us on Rodon and FZ thought better to not just take whatever because then he has the rep of being the guy who will sell cheap
Not discussed here yet that I saw is that Soto bats lefty, and lefty power hitters don't fare well in our park, Teh Lord notwithstanding. Soto may have included that in his thinking.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not discussed here yet that I saw is that Soto bats lefty, and lefty power hitters don't fare well in our park, Teh Lord notwithstanding. Soto may have included that in his thinking.
Well, Soto had no choice in the matter, he could express a preference but he's not an FA until after 2024. But yeah, the thought might have been that no way he'd re-sign here for that reason and why strip the farm for 2+ years when they are more than one bat away from contending.