• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster Posey just retired

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article has me wondering how the pitching staff will perform next year.
From the article:
"Posey, whose framing alone was worth 129 more runs (or roughly 13 wins) than an average catcher. It was no coincidence that Giants pitchers carried an ERA 10 percent better than average with Posey behind the plate, stealing all of those extra strike calls."
I don't think we've addressed how much this hurts us next year. Posey ran all of it, he was the general on the field, he was a big reason why our pitchers did well. We were never gonna win 107 again even with him but I very much doubt we win the division again and winning 90+ will be a huge win IMO.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both MLB and the players union need to come clean on the fact that, at the very least, they ignored all the signs and dragged their feet on actually making these substances illegal league wide. Both used players and covered up their actions to save face. Now, some of the guys that they benefited the most from, they have left to their own devices. Of course, these guys are pretty prickly, so that has not helped their cause. In my opinion, the voters need to recognize the era these guys were created in, acknowledge that there was nothing illegal in their steroid usage and vote them in, with an asterisk if needed (by the way, I hate that asterisk mark on the Bonds home run ball, so stupid). In the HOF voters want to make an example of players breaking the rules, do it with the guys who were busted after rules were in place, not before rules were implemented. That's like choosing to deny a player a spot in the HOF because he busted a few catchers in home plate collisions before they were outlawed.
One quick note is that there are only two sports out of may where public disdain is especially high, Baseball (MLB) and Road Racig Cycling as in Tour de France style, but for instance in the NFL steroid users get in their half of fame and only get slaps on the wrist for 1st violations. How many sports including, many Olympic sports, those violations are at best small footnotes. It's weird how certain sports it's the worst thing ever but others no one cares.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we've addressed how much this hurts us next year. Posey ran all of it, he was the general on the field, he was a big reason why our pitchers did well. We were never gonna win 107 again even with him but I very much doubt we win the division again and winning 90+ will be a huge win IMO.
Oh, I've been nervous about how next season will go. So much went right this year that I wonder if things crash harder than expected next year. But then I remind myself that I thought this year's team would perform close to .500, or slightly better, so my concern reassures me that I'm usually wrong.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One quick note is that there are only two sports out of may where public disdain is especially high, Baseball (MLB) and Road Racig Cycling as in Tour de France style, but for instance in the NFL steroid users get in their half of fame and only get slaps on the wrist for 1st violations. How many sports including, many Olympic sports, those violations are at best small footnotes. It's weird how certain sports it's the worst thing ever but others no one cares.
And I wonder, how many people who rail against Bonds, Clemens, et all, also have no problem (or ignore) the steroid use in the NFL.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Angels debacle I lost all hope that the Giants would ever go all the way. In fact on their 1st S.F. World Series win i n the 1st matchup against Atlanta when they hit a 3 run? (EWS) and the Giants were down a few runs for the 1st time I gave up on a game on a Giants game before it was finished and didn't watch anything baseball until the next day then saw that they rallied to win. And Posey was the key to win that series with just his handling of the pitching staff.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I've been nervous about how next season will go. So much went right this year that I wonder if things crash harder than expected next year. But then I remind myself that I thought this year's team would perform close to .500, or slightly better, so my concern reassures me that I'm usually wrong.
Obviously we could underestimate them again but by definition we won't have the surprise of a very good year from Posey next year. Bart isn't ready IMO, especially defensively.

We'll see how FZ puts together the team but 90 wins will be a huge win for us if we manage it.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we could underestimate them again but by definition we won't have the surprise of a very good year from Posey next year. Bart isn't ready IMO, especially defensively.

We'll see how FZ puts together the team but 90 wins will be a huge win for us if we manage it.
I would love if they could convince Posey to come for a short time to training camp and work with the young catchers, even if it's just for a week... or two.:hope:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Angels debacle I lost all hope that the Giants would ever go all the way. In fact on their 1st S.F. World Series win i n the 1st matchup against Atlanta when they hit a 3 run? (EWS) and the Giants were down a few runs for the 1st time I gave up on a game on a Giants game before it was finished and didn't watch anything baseball until the next day then saw that they rallied to win. And Posey was the key to win that series with just his handling of the pitching staff.
When your team never comes through it's easy to be this way, you pretty much expect to fail and you're usually right. The 3 rings lets us all relax, it's why I wasn't crying over this year's loss in the playoffs. We got our rings and maybe we'll get more or maybe we won't, but we got 'em. The prayers were answered.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love if they could convince Posey to come for a short time to training camp and work with the young catchers, even if it's just for a week... or two.:hope:
I could see them getting a week from him but not sure that matters a whole lot. You still have Bart playing not Posey.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issues that we will face by Posey retiring really aren't seen to clearly outside of the SF fan base. He was so much more than just a great offensive catcher. His ability to work with the staff will be missed the most in my opinion. Going into this year most of our SPs were big question marks. Most of us were hoping for an 81 win season or something close to that. We won 107 games ... probably more than 20 games above almost everyone's predictions. IMHO Posey was the biggest contributor to that success. As MSG stated .... 90 wins next year is probably going to be a reach. He was so much more than a catcher for this team. He will be missed.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he should still be a lock but this "what if" feels different. You are trying to figure out how reduced his numbers would be. But the "what if" also has to consider how rampant steroid usage was then. What if not just Barry, but all the other MLBers who were taking, didn't do steroids. Would his numbers have been that different? To me, arguing that both Bonds and Clemens don't deserve enshrinement because of steroid usage provided an unfair advantage is ridiculous. Wouldn't the usage have canceled either other out and put everything back on par? After all, its been documented that the crappy pitchers and crappy hitters were using too.

I guess I don't see it that way. I don't care, and I don't think voters should try to factor that in any more than a dead ball, a juiced ball, a color ban, or illegal substances. Just look at the era the player played in and ask: was he dominant? If so, he's in.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both MLB and the players union need to come clean on the fact that, at the very least, they ignored all the signs and dragged their feet on actually making these substances illegal league wide. Both used players and covered up their actions to save face. Now, some of the guys that they benefited the most from, they have left to their own devices. Of course, these guys are pretty prickly, so that has not helped their cause. In my opinion, the voters need to recognize the era these guys were created in, acknowledge that there was nothing illegal in their steroid usage and vote them in, with an asterisk if needed (by the way, I hate that asterisk mark on the Bonds home run ball, so stupid). In the HOF voters want to make an example of players breaking the rules, do it with the guys who were busted after rules were in place, not before rules were implemented. That's like choosing to deny a player a spot in the HOF because he busted a few catchers in home plate collisions before they were outlawed.
Scott Cousins isn't going in, bro. I will not allow it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that's overly pessimistic, but in any event 90 wins is ALWAYS a good year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's overly pessimistic, but in any event 90 wins is ALWAYS a good year.
I'll be overjoyed at 90, but of course I underestimated them this year like everyone else. Posey's loss is 5-6 wins at least and we still don't know what the team will look like.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be overjoyed at 90, but of course I underestimated them this year like everyone else. Posey's loss is 5-6 wins at least and we still don't know what the team will look like.
All true. But what we DO know is that the FO is expert in putting together a roster. They have a ton more resources this year than they've ever had, so I kind of expect 90+ wins.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's gonna back up Longoria now?