• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster Posey just retired

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is a bit borderline but he does have a lot of hardware to back his case.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will be bothered by the counting stats and criticize him for only having 158 HR's and 1,500 hits, as many baseball fans and writers love milestones like 300 HR's or 2,000 hits, but Posey was an elite player and playing over a decade is long enough, IMO, especially when you consider that his WAR/162 games is bested by only 4 Hall of Fame catchers. I don't think anyone will question Yadier Molina being in the Hall of Fame, but Posey has a higher WAR than him even though Posey has played 6 fewer seasons. I'll take the quality over the quantity.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok ... just wierd ... phucking very strange ... on this day ... I'm binge watching a show called Brockmire. Only 4 seasons .. about 32 episodes ... Brokmire is a baseball broadcaster. In season 4 ... episode 6 ... Brokmire is supposed to be inducted into the hall of fame. He's up in Cooperstown for the inauguration ceremony. He's talking with the event coordinator. He is told he is second up to speak. The first speaker is ....... phucking Buster Posey .... can't get stranger than that ...
Brockmire was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, especially the first 2 seasons.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will be bothered by the counting stats and criticize him for only having 158 HR's and 1,500 hits, as many baseball fans and writers love milestones like 300 HR's or 2,000 hits, but Posey was an elite player and playing over a decade is long enough, IMO, especially when you consider that his WAR/162 games is bested by only 4 Hall of Fame catchers. I don't think anyone will question Yadier Molina being in the Hall of Fame, but Posey has a higher WAR than him even though Posey has played 6 fewer seasons. I'll take the quality over the quantity.
And its his counting stats that have me wondering if he makes it. Maybe by the time he is eligible for the ballot, there will be enough voters who will look beyond those stats, or the length of playing time, but who knows. I know that msgkings is confident he will make it. I think how Posey is handled will determine the direction future inductees go. If he doesn't make it, there probably won't be many inductees in the next 20 years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get the love for Molina and the indifference for Posey. A month or so back, there was a debate on the MLB main board comparing the two, and it was pretty clear that Posey was a better player than Molina. Molina, arguably, has the better defensive hardware (though Posey has defensive hardware that Molina does not have), but every other aspect of the game Posey is superior. Posey was the better offensive player by a HUGE margin while Molina was only arguably the better defensive player. Molina has the longevity, granted. But WAR7 is not even a discussion.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MVP, 7 time legit All Star Selections, the batting title, Rookie of the year and 4 silver slugger awards, 3 rings, 302 lifetime batting average all while averaging 145 games a year between 2012 and 2017 as a catcher makes him a no brainer HOF'er in my book.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And its his counting stats that have me wondering if he makes it. Maybe by the time he is eligible for the ballot, there will be enough voters who will look beyond those stats, or the length of playing time, but who knows. I know that msgkings is confident he will make it. I think how Posey is handled will determine the direction future inductees go. If he doesn't make it, there probably won't be many inductees in the next 20 years.

There are currently 19 catchers int he Hall of Fame. By total WAR, Posey would be 12th highest if he were in the Hall of Fame. However, by WAR/162, he would be the 5th highest. Posey would also have the 5th highest OPS. I guess it comes down to how much a voter will downgrade him because of the quantity, but the high quality is definitely there and he does have a higher total WAR than several Hall of Fame catchers.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get the love for Molina and the indifference for Posey. A month or so back, there was a debate on the MLB main board comparing the two, and it was pretty clear that Posey was a better player than Molina. Molina, arguably, has the better defensive hardware (though Posey has defensive hardware that Molina does not have), but every other aspect of the game Posey is superior. Posey was the better offensive player by a HUGE margin while Molina was only arguably the better defensive player. Molina has the longevity, granted. But WAR7 is not even a discussion.

People love longevity and the counting stats that come with it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People love longevity and the counting stats that come with it.
But the only counting stat that Molina has is longevity. His offense has been damn near non-existent.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are currently 19 catchers int he Hall of Fame. By total WAR, Posey would be 12th highest if he were in the Hall of Fame. However, by WAR/162, he would be the 5th highest. Posey would also have the 5th highest OPS. I guess it comes down to how much a voter will downgrade him because of the quantity, but the high quality is definitely there and he does have a higher total WAR than several Hall of Fame catchers.
Just to argue…

if longevity is the problem (which it legit is for Buster), than bringing in WAR/162 is a nonstarter, imho. You dont need to convert his offense to show that he was an offensive stud for a catcher.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the main MLB board someone mentioned Thurman Munson having numbers a lot like Posey, and he's not in. But I am certain Posey will make it and maybe Munson gets a fresh look from the veterans committee

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the only counting stat that Molina has is longevity. His offense has been damn near non-existent.

Molina has over 2,000 hits and counting, while Posey only has 1,500 is what I guess some people will say.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the main MLB board someone mentioned Thurman Munson having numbers a lot like Posey, and he's not in. But I am certain Posey will make it and maybe Munson gets a fresh look from the veterans committee
Munson was my first favorite player in any sport. He had Hall of fame seasons but not enough of them. Had he not died and played a few more seasons, and big post seasons he probably gets in. The was incredibly clutch.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Munson was my first favorite player in any sport. He had Hall of fame seasons but not enough of them. Had he not died and played a few more seasons, and big post seasons he probably gets in. The was incredibly clutch.
He played exactly as many seasons as Posey is my point....

PackJason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is only 34 years old. Wow.

Hell of a career, though.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played exactly as many seasons as Posey is my point....
Now that I took another look at Munson's stats, it's a good point. I'd like to see Munson in, he won an MVP and a Rookie of the year too and was killer in the playoffs. Posey's offensive numbers are a bit better but he's also in a much more offensive oriented era. Posey being on the west coast I didn't see him on a day in day out basis so I can't compare them as defensive players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He
Now that I took another look at Munson's stats, it's a good point. I'd like to see Munson in, he won an MVP and a Rookie of the year too and was killer in the playoffs. Posey's offensive numbers are a bit better but he's also in a much more offensive oriented era. Posey being on the west coast I didn't see him on a day in day out basis so I can't compare them as defensive players.
was masterful with the glove, arm, blocking, framing and calling. All-time defensive catcher. Probably not in the Pudge realm (nobody is/was), but certainly HOF-worthy.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He

was masterful with the glove, arm, blocking, framing and calling. All-time defensive catcher. Probably not in the Pudge realm (nobody is/was), but certainly HOF-worthy.
He'd certainly get my vote if I had one. Any word out there why he's walking away after such a solid season?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd certainly get my vote if I had one. Any word out there why he's walking away after such a solid season?
He has a press conference in about 2 hours for the official announcement. I am sure he will address that.

I am sure it is a mix of injury issues (ankle, hip, concussions), wanting to spend time with his family and already having multi-generational wealth.