• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster Posey just retired

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you figuratively deal with it now?

Cant blame a guy who does not want to change teams and would rather call it a career.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you figuratively deal with it now?

Cant blame a guy who does not want to change teams and would rather call it a career.
Giants had an option for him and were, by all accounts, interested in signing him to a multi-year extension. He was never going to change teams.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod Brooks said a few minutes ago, and it makes a lot of sense, that the Giants probably knew this was coming as far back as when Craw signed his extension. They probably knew this was coming in spring training, actually.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod Brooks said a few minutes ago, and it makes a lot of sense, that the Giants probably knew this was coming as far back as when Craw signed his extension. They probably knew this was coming in spring training, actually.
Buster is definitely classy enough to let them know once he decided. Just sad, but god speed. The thing is, the money is so big now that guys can retire in their prime and be set for life. That only became a thing in the last 20 years or so.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang. Would’ve figured he had at least a couple years left. Nice that he can go out on his own terms. Only got to see him play live once, a couple years ago in AZ. Watched a lot of him growing up in Northern Cali. Dang good player. Best of luck to him in retirement.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok ... just wierd ... phucking very strange ... on this day ... I'm binge watching a show called Brockmire. Only 4 seasons .. about 32 episodes ... Brokmire is a baseball broadcaster. In season 4 ... episode 6 ... Brokmire is supposed to be inducted into the hall of fame. He's up in Cooperstown for the inauguration ceremony. He's talking with the event coordinator. He is told he is second up to speak. The first speaker is ....... phucking Buster Posey .... can't get stranger than that ...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite catcher ever and one of my 5 most favorite players ever. He had a great career and I love all he did for the Giants making them from chumps to Champs. He is also one of the best pitch callers I have ever seen next to Jason Veritek. I hope he goes into managing. I would love to see him one day lead the Giants as a manager to more championships. I just hope he spends time with his family first. Family is always the most important thing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite catcher ever and one of my 5 most favorite players ever. He had a great career and I love all he did for the Giants making them from chumps to Champs. He is also one of the best pitch callers I have ever seen next to Jason Veritek. I hope he goes into managing. I would love to see him one day lead the Giants as a manager to more championships. I just hope he spends time with his family first. Family is always the most important thing.
I seriously doubt he goes into big-time coaching. Maybe at the high school level, but that is as high as he goes, I suspect. He strikes me as the kind of guy who wants a low key life with his family, and now that he has enough money to live the high life for multiple generations, he has no incentive to NOT do that.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You called it @calsnowskier . Still, I'm in shock. I thought he'd be around for another season or two. He went out on top. Had a great season and great career. I doubt he makes the HOF, though.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.
Very surprised by this.
Maybe his body told him it was time?
His next stop will certainly be the MLB HOF.
He'll definitely go down in history as one of the all time greatest Giants, and one of the best catchers in the game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You called it @calsnowskier . Still, I'm in shock. I thought he'd be around for another season or two. He went out on top. Had a great season and great career. I doubt he makes the HOF, though.
I guarantee he makes the Hall of Fame. Maybe not first ballot but that wouldn't surprise me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is a bit borderline but he does have a lot of hardware to back his case.
If a player like Buster doesn't get in they should just burn the place down. It's the hall of FAME, not hall of great counting stats. He was basically Derek Jeter but didn't play as long (and better defensively). If Harold Baines and Kirby Puckett are in, Posey will be too (and I love Harold)

Writers and all the rest love him, he's in

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Tim Kawakami in the Athletic:

"But this is Posey’s era. It’s not just because he and Bruce Bochy are the only likely Hall of Famers in this group, but that’s not a small thing. It’s that Posey’s is the only career that directly connects the 2010 rise to the 2021 renaissance, the only one that includes an NL MVP award, and he’s the only one who handled the headline pitchers while he was the team’s most consistent hitter and personality over all those years. He was the rock of this glorious Giants generation. It’s his era.)"

HOF lock

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in a decade or so he'd consider managing.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a player like Buster doesn't get in they should just burn the place down. It's the hall of FAME, not hall of great counting stats. He was basically Derek Jeter but didn't play as long (and better defensively). If Harold Baines and Kirby Puckett are in, Posey will be too (and I love Harold)

Writers and all the rest love him, he's in
I hope you are right. I'd like to see him in the HOF.