• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster Posey just retired

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a press conference in about 2 hours for the official announcement. I am sure he will address that.

I am sure it is a mix of injury issues (ankle, hip, concussions), wanting to spend time with his family and already having multi-generational wealth.
Makes sense. Catchers go through a lot of wear and tear. There's something to be said to going out on a high note a year or so early than badly a year or so late.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. Catchers go through a lot of wear and tear. There's something to be said to going out on a high note a year or so early than badly a year or so late.
He is also leaving a 5M option buyout on the table by retiring. The Giants have a 22M/5M team option that they now do not have to act on.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molina has over 2,000 hits and counting, while Posey only has 1,500 is what I guess some people will say.
And when people bring up that it took Molina longer to get to 1,500 then Posey, the response will be that Molina played longer, how would we know if Posey would have gotten there? After all, you cannot induct based on "what-ifs".

(Not my argument but I could see people make that case against HOF inclusion for Posey)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are currently 19 catchers int he Hall of Fame. By total WAR, Posey would be 12th highest if he were in the Hall of Fame. However, by WAR/162, he would be the 5th highest. Posey would also have the 5th highest OPS. I guess it comes down to how much a voter will downgrade him because of the quantity, but the high quality is definitely there and he does have a higher total WAR than several Hall of Fame catchers.
All good points but I don't think WAR is taken very seriously by very many of the voting members.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched his press conference, not surprisingly all business and class, no tears. Gonna miss him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will be bothered by the counting stats and criticize him for only having 158 HR's and 1,500 hits, as many baseball fans and writers love milestones like 300 HR's or 2,000 hits, but Posey was an elite player and playing over a decade is long enough, IMO, especially when you consider that his WAR/162 games is bested by only 4 Hall of Fame catchers. I don't think anyone will question Yadier Molina being in the Hall of Fame, but Posey has a higher WAR than him even though Posey has played 6 fewer seasons. I'll take the quality over the quantity.
too bad there's no stat to measure the impact he had on the staff, the intimidation factor he held over baserunners, and probably more important the steadying influence on the clubhouse

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your average Hall of Fame batter played 18 years. He started his career at age 21 and retired at the age of 39 (38.5 to be exact). He played in 2,147 games, had 9,051 plate appearances, and 7,963 at bats.

This is what the stat counter is going to look at ....

Munson is an interesting comparision ... but ... he never opted to leave the game ... it was taken away from him .... Buster's choice was his .... I agree with whatever he wants to do ... in my mind he will always be a HOFer .... not so sure how everyone else feels .... especially the selection committee ...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when people bring up that it took Molina longer to get to 1,500 then Posey, the response will be that Molina played longer, how would we know if Posey would have gotten there? After all, you cannot induct based on "what-ifs".

(Not my argument but I could see people make that case against HOF inclusion for Posey)
I think about the "what if" HOF thing a lot. In respect to The Barry. As in "what if you discount his steroid seasons" -- He's still a mortal LOCK for the HOF. Still irritates me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think about the "what if" HOF thing a lot. In respect to The Barry. As in "what if you discount his steroid seasons" -- He's still a mortal LOCK for the HOF. Still irritates me.
I am pretty clear on my opinion about Barry (he never broke a baseball rule, therefore he never cheated, therefore he should absolutely be in the Hall).

However…

The “chop off the cancerous limb” argument doesn’t hold a lot of water for me, personally. If you use that argument for Barry, why not use it for Rose or Jackson?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points but I don't think WAR is taken very seriously by very many of the voting members.
Per Ray Ratto, there is a HOF metric called JAWS which does a pretty good job of comparison across eras. Apparently, it has a lot of traction with HOF voters. I was unaware of this stat til yesterday. Buster is 14 for catchers all time, 6th if you adjust for his best seven years (JAWS7)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your average Hall of Fame batter played 18 years. He started his career at age 21 and retired at the age of 39 (38.5 to be exact). He played in 2,147 games, had 9,051 plate appearances, and 7,963 at bats.

This is what the stat counter is going to look at ....

Munson is an interesting comparision ... but ... he never opted to leave the game ... it was taken away from him .... Buster's choice was his .... I agree with whatever he wants to do ... in my mind he will always be a HOFer .... not so sure how everyone else feels .... especially the selection committee ...
apples and pineapples. Longevity counts for sure, but you can't compare catchers and other position players. The average HOF catcher can't have played 18 seasons.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty clear on my opinion about Barry (he never broke a baseball rule, therefore he never cheated, therefore he should absolutely be in the Hall).

However…

The “chop off the cancerous limb” argument doesn’t hold a lot of water for me, personally. If you use that argument for Barry, why not use it for Rose or Jackson?
I see what you're saying, but Rose (and Shoeless Joe) broke the cardinal rule. I agree with you, Barry broke no rules.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However…

I'm interested to see how the voters handle A-Rod. If he gets more votes than Bonds, then something smells fishy. A-Rod DID break the rules, since he was busted after the rules were set in place. That, to me, should be more egregious than what Bonds (and Clemens) did.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things often have nuances, for instance the MLB Union couldn't have cared less about steroids and were an obstacle to testing, that doesn't include MLB hierarchy reveling in the Homerun chases bringing in lots of Money and attention. Then include that from what information we have, Barry (not the most likeable guy) had to be furious that the heads of MLB were showering lesser players with all the accolades when he must have believed that they were using and profiting handsomely from their actions, giving Barry good reason to think why not him? So I feel that the Union and MBL who had to really suspect Sosa, McGwire Et al. The Union and MLB can rightly account for the most of the motivation for Barry to do what he probably(almost certain) did do after seeing lesser players profit. I would bet Fehr wishes he either never agreed to the anonymous testing (which was violated) or sought it much earlier with an amnesty. I think he should be in, but understand the reluctance. Except for the High profile Canseco the biggest users were lower preforming guys trying to hang on or in some cases started preform highly, it was mostly from the bottom up forcing those they might displace on a mlb roster. The effect finally reached up to pressure Barry to participate.

P.S. I can see no downside, no losses for the lesser playesr who made bank on their action while higher preforming guys get all the attention and the consequences.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he should still be a lock but this "what if" feels different. You are trying to figure out how reduced his numbers would be. But the "what if" also has to consider how rampant steroid usage was then. What if not just Barry, but all the other MLBers who were taking, didn't do steroids. Would his numbers have been that different? To me, arguing that both Bonds and Clemens don't deserve enshrinement because of steroid usage provided an unfair advantage is ridiculous. Wouldn't the usage have canceled either other out and put everything back on par? After all, its been documented that the crappy pitchers and crappy hitters were using too.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things often have nuances, for instance the MLB Union couldn't have cared less about steroids and were an obstacle to testing, that doesn't include MLB hierarchy reveling in the Homerun chases bringing in lots of Money and attention. Then include that from what information we have, Barry (not the most likeable guy) had to be furious that the heads of MLB were showering lesser players with all the accolades when he must have believed that they were using and profiting handsomely from their actions, giving Barry good reason to think why not him? So I feel that the Union and MBL who had to really suspect Sosa, McGwire Et al. The Union and MLB can rightly account for the most of the motivation for Barry to do what he probably(almost certain) did do after seeing lesser players profit. I would bet Fehr wishes he either never agreed to the anonymous testing (which was violated) or sought it much earlier with an amnesty. I think he should be in, but understand the reluctance. Except for the High profile Canseco the biggest users were lower preforming guys trying to hang on or in some casesstarted preform highly, it was mostly from the bottom up forcing those they might displace on a mlb roster. The effect finally reached up to pressure Barry to participate.

P.S. I can no downside, no losses for the lesser playesr who made bank on their action while higher preforming guys get all the attention and the consequences.
I think both MLB and the players union need to come clean on the fact that, at the very least, they ignored all the signs and dragged their feet on actually making these substances illegal league wide. Both used players and covered up their actions to save face. Now, some of the guys that they benefited the most from, they have left to their own devices. Of course, these guys are pretty prickly, so that has not helped their cause. In my opinion, the voters need to recognize the era these guys were created in, acknowledge that there was nothing illegal in their steroid usage and vote them in, with an asterisk if needed (by the way, I hate that asterisk mark on the Bonds home run ball, so stupid). In the HOF voters want to make an example of players breaking the rules, do it with the guys who were busted after rules were in place, not before rules were implemented. That's like choosing to deny a player a spot in the HOF because he busted a few catchers in home plate collisions before they were outlawed.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual the nerds at 538 have a good take

This article has me wondering how the pitching staff will perform next year.
From the article:
"Posey, whose framing alone was worth 129 more runs (or roughly 13 wins) than an average catcher. It was no coincidence that Giants pitchers carried an ERA 10 percent better than average with Posey behind the plate, stealing all of those extra strike calls."