• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Build The Tip

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Build The Tip

Group of 12's doing crowd funding to build a statue they intend to put outside the Clink memorializing 'The Tip' and what that moment to meant our fan base.

The entirely bronze statue will stand around 7' tall and will have both Sherman and Crabtree and a place for you to stand that simulates where Smith was on the play.

It will be intended to be an interactive piece meant for you to go up and touch and have your picture taken by etc.

They are also looking at putting 48 names on the plaque (SB 48). 12 big money donors, 12 corporate donors, the first 12 people to donate $12 or more on their site when it goes live, and a random group of 12 who gave $12 or more over the 5 week crowd funding campaign.

The price?

$250,000

Sounds like a lot, but if they get some corporate sponsors that money is easy to reach.

It's like $165,000 for the piece itself, then add taxes, installation fees, and whatnot and it climbs up to that mark.

All donations over the top will be given to local charities.

A fully fan created and inspired statue in front of the Clink.

Like it? Hate it? Mock it? Think it is doomed to fail?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought this was going to be a dirty post, and then I read it; and it's even worse.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the only way Crabtree would ever end up memorialized in a statue. I'd figure SC fans would appreciate that. Geeez.

:suds:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's the only way Crabtree would ever end up memorialized in a statue. I'd figure SC fans would appreciate that. Geeez.

:suds:

I'd be for building a statue of his agent if another team signs him for tons of money next offseason.

Hey! Seattle could use a receiver right? :hope:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any link to their proposed funding site yet? I'd love to see this happen. It was the spotlight play that took us to the Super Bowl and I was there to see it happen. I'd gladly toss them a couple hundred bucks to help this become reality.

Edit: Links in the op

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't want to memorialize the entire game? Instead they want...just the tip?

csi_miami_cancelled1.jpg

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so much for team spirit...:scratch:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any link to their proposed funding site yet? I'd love to see this happen. It was the spotlight play that took us to the Super Bowl and I was there to see it happen. I'd gladly toss them a couple hundred bucks to help this become reality.

Edit: Links in the op
The crowd funding doesn't go live until next Monday at 12:12pm and will be linked from their site listed above. It is being funded through indiegogo
so much for team spirit...:scratch:
It won't be the only play memorialized in statue form for a football team.
gleason_statue_front.jpg

This was the first championship in Seattle history since '79 and that was basketball long before it became the big game it is today.

That play wasn't even in the SB, but it is a play that will live in infamy here. Everyone knows exactly where they were and who they were with when it happened.

Of course we all understand that one play didn't win the game alone. It's just a symbol of how far they have come.

That was one knock down drag out fight that if not for a stupid play by Kaepernick could have ended differently.... but it didn't.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it!!

As a lifelong Oilers fan, and living an hour outside of Edmonton, I can tell you that the Wayne Gretzky statue is one of the most popular attractions in the city. It's a sports icon. Everybody takes their picture with it. Money well spent in Edmonton, so I'm sure Seattle would be no different.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it!!

As a lifelong Oilers fan, and living an hour outside of Edmonton, I can tell you that the Wayne Gretzky statue is one of the most popular attractions in the city. It's a sports icon. Everybody takes their picture with it. Money well spent in Edmonton, so I'm sure Seattle would be no different.

It's the same with the Niehaus statue inside Safeco Field. It's an attraction unto itself. The way I figure it... if people are willing to pay money to have it made, why not make it?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say if/when it gets made, we all need to take a selfie or take a picture with it and post it on here and/or have it as our avi when the 49ers come here to play us

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the same with the Niehaus statue inside Safeco Field. It's an attraction unto itself. The way I figure it... if people are willing to pay money to have it made, why not make it?

Not that I care one way or another. A concern I would have as a Seahawks fan is Sherman's antics getting worse. Same reason I am very careful with the jerseys I buy, don't want to spend money on a guy that could end up being a jackass... Cough...Aldon.....cough. Or worse, a jackass that plays for a different team...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I care one way or another. A concern I would have as a Seahawks fan is Sherman's antics getting worse. Same reason I am very careful with the jerseys I buy, don't want to spend money on a guy that could end up being a jackass... Cough...Aldon.....cough. Or worse, a jackass that plays for a different team...

'The tip' is about a play and what that specific moment meant to this city. It is a moment in time that will live on for decades if not longer. It isn't about Sherman directly, even if he was the player that made that play. It isn't about Crabtree either even though he will be memorialized in it as well.

This is about the moment our city got past its playoff woes and marched on to their first major championship.

I mean there isn't any real play in the SB itself to capture that moment and that NFCCG was one for the ages.

Wouldn't matter if Sherman became an ass and left the team. Nothing can take that moment, or the statue honoring it, away from the 12's.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's a little early. Even Niehaus didn't get his statue until he wasn't with the organization anymore (RIP). It was a great play, but I'm not ready to have a statue built to the current players. If we're doing a statue, then I'd rather do a series of statues of the players who made the Hall, Steve, Walter & Tez. If in ten years to commemorate the achievement as an anniversary, then I'd be all for it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a little early. Even Niehaus didn't get his statue until he wasn't with the organization anymore (RIP). It was a great play, but I'm not ready to have a statue built to the current players. If we're doing a statue, then I'd rather do a series of statues of the players who made the Hall, Steve, Walter & Tez. If in ten years to commemorate the achievement as an anniversary, then I'd be all for it.

Might agree if this was an organized team thing, but this is by the fans, for the fans, paid for by the fans.

They will speak out in terms of donating or not. Corporate types will give of they won't.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'The tip' is about a play and what that specific moment meant to this city. It is a moment in time that will live on for decades if not longer. It isn't about Sherman directly, even if he was the player that made that play. It isn't about Crabtree either even though he will be memorialized in it as well.

This is about the moment our city got past its playoff woes and marched on to their first major championship.

I mean there isn't any real play in the SB itself to capture that moment and that NFCCG was one for the ages.

Wouldn't matter if Sherman became an ass and left the team. Nothing can take that moment, or the statue honoring it, away from the 12's.

Easy to say that now coming off the emotional championship and locking him up contract wise. But if in 5 years he was playing for the Rams, cardinals, or niners and had a statue out front my guess is you would feel different. But only time will tell on that one.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to say that now coming off the emotional championship and locking him up contract wise. But if in 5 years he was playing for the Rams, cardinals, or niners and had a statue out front my guess is you would feel different. But only time will tell on that one.

Unlikely that it would change anyone's opinion of that play. Gretzky's statue in Edmonton is revered and it was no different when he came to play there as a rival. Sherman could play for a dozen different teams and he'll still always be welcome at the Clink.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, we won't.

Tate left us for more money and it doesn't change a thing about what I think about his part in that championship.

Again, that moment lives as a REPRESENTATION of the season. It isn't about Sherman or just the play itself.

I guess you wouldn't/couldn't understand.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we won't.

Tate left us for more money and it doesn't change a thing about what I think about his part in that championship.

Again, that moment lives as a REPRESENTATION of the season. It isn't about Sherman or just the play itself.

I guess you wouldn't/couldn't understand.

You are right bc I guess I couldn't understand a Super Bowl victory with a crucial moment... :L

If the niners had won the Super Bowl in 1999 I would not of wanted a statue of TO making the game winning catch vs the packers. Why? Bc he was a jackass that could of ended up being a jackass for another team, which he was. So I wouldn't of wanted a statue of a jackass at my teams stadium. Even though the statue would be capturing a moment, it would still be that jackass enshrined as a legend.. Just my opinion. But I'm not going to argue with you on how you decorate your stadium so do what makes you guys happy.