• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Few Thoughts on the Fins

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year has been a disappointment for the Fins so far. I view some of the problems temporary or fixable.

DT Davis being injured in the first game was huge for this team. He has been the Fins best young player and he was steadily getting better before he got hurt. He's working towards playing again. That will be a huge boost to the defense when he's able to return. He is the team's best run stopper and he can create pressure on QBs.

WR Will Fuller has been a talented non factor for the team. He's been plagued by injuries. Hopefully he gets healthy and plays because he can be a difference maker.

Flores is a great defensive coach. Where he has struggled is on offense. All of the young Olinemen are expected to be versatile and play multiple positions. It's as if the team wants 5 Jesse Davis types. Jack of all trades, masters of none. I think young players need to build experience in a certain role. That would help the communication. The Fins need to figure out the best position for each player and go with it. We are well past preseason now.

Flores needs to develop or hire and keep the right coaches. Every year there is changes. Belichic found and kept Dante Scarnecchia for many years. That paid great dividends for them through the years.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This new offensive coaching system isn’t working out. It’s not a talent issue.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be better with if Tua were playing. That said, I was expecting a better Oline this year. They started a bunch of rookies last year. When second year players dont improve that's not a good look for the coaches. Maybe Chan Gailey was better than he got credit for. He favored Fitzpatrick but that shouldn't be surprising since they had a lot of experience together and Tua was a rookie recovering from surgery. I don't have the answers but Flores and Grier need to figure it out.

Last edited:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had predicted a 1-4 start for Dolphins.
Should that be correct, you might note that I expected improvement and a good season after very diificult schedule to start season.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I also predicted that the Pats could go 1 and 3 in the first 4 games.

I appreciate your optimism.

Last edited:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I also predicted that the Pats could go 1 and 3 in the first 4 games.

I appreciate your optimism.
Patriots could lose to Houston - that's right, Houston!
We have 1 O-line starter available to protect our rookie QB. Not ideal.....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots could lose to Houston - that's right, Houston!
We have 1 O-line starter available to protect our rookie QB. Not ideal.....

You are being objective. I respect that. The Texans are a little better than people think. See the Jags game. It's the Jaguars yet it wasn't close. The Texans got their buts kicked by the Bills. Every team has so far except the Steelers.

The Pats have a good young QB, however, he's not very mobile. It could be a long day for him. Mills at QB gives the Pats a good chance to win though. That said, the Texans have talent at RB. It could be interesting.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are being objective. I respect that. The Texans are a little better than people think. See the Jags game. It's the Jaguars yet it wasn't close. The Texans got their buts kicked by the Bills. Every team has so far except the Steelers.

The Pats have a good young QB, however, he's not very mobile. It could be a long day for him. Mills at QB gives the Pats a good chance to win though. That said, the Texans have talent at RB. It could be interesting.
Not a good weekend to talk smack. I'm going to keep my head down.

I'm visuallizing Belichick calling Scarnecchia and asking him, :what do I do?"

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be better with if Tua were playing. That said, I was expecting a better Oline this year. They started a bunch of rookies last year. When second year players dont improve that's not a good look for the coaches. Maybe Chan Gailey was better than he got credit for. He favored Fitzpatrick but that shouldn't be surprising since they had a lot of experience together and Tua was a rookie recovering from surgery. I don't have the answers but Flores and Grier need to figure it out.
I believe coaching is a major part of the problem. Too much inexperience and when you mix that with a lot of youth on this team it's trouble. The bad D play is bothersome as it looked like they had that fixed but I guess cutting those vets was a year too early.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grier is good at making trades and acquiring assets. I am not so sure that most of the players that he drafted won't become solid starters. They just need to keep developing. This year should be about building effectiveness in the trenches to set the stage for future success.

Grier will need Tua to play well or he may need to trade for Watson. I believe in Grier. That said, passing on Herbert could be a defining decision if the Fins can't right the ship.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grier is good at making trades and acquiring assets. I am not so sure that most of the players that he drafted won't become solid starters. They just need to keep developing. This year should be about building effectiveness in the trenches to set the stage for future success.

Grier will need Tua to play well or he may need to trade for Watson. I believe in Grier. That said, passing on Herbert could be a defining decision if the Fins can't right the ship.
Patriots rarely start rookies on the O-line - except in xase of emergency.

Dolphins have had to start their rookies because the veterans were not performing.
Even the worst of your high draft pick O-lineman may turn out to be reliable starters.
Right now it is trial by fire.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots rarely start rookies on the O-line - except in xase of emergency.

Dolphins have had to start their rookies because the veterans were not performing.
Even the worst of your high draft pick O-lineman may turn out to be reliable starters.
Right now it is trial by fire.

The Fins are starting the same Olinemen as last week. That could help.