• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruins win game of the season, take 3-1 lead: Allen Webster aint ready

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Rocko was going with 90+. Don't remember a 96 from him. But since no one was congratulating him in April about how is prediction looked correct, might wanna hold off on telling him how wrong he is in May. You can always do that in August and September.

that would be nice

Uno

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Rocko was going with 90+. Don't remember a 96 from him. But since no one was congratulating him in April about how is prediction looked correct, might wanna hold off on telling him how wrong he is in May. You can always do that in August and September.

Nobody was telling him how "wrong he was"...just laughing at the change of story...we went from "best team in baseball will definitely win 90+"...to "I never said they'd be in first all year"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rhonde barber is retiring

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man if it weren't for injuries the Cardinals may be on pace for over 100 wins.
If it weren't for Ackley sucking, Montero sucking, Ryan sucking, Ibanez sucking, JSaunders sucking, Maurer sucking, Harang sucking, Andino sucking and Beavan sucking, the Mariners would be on pace for 100 wins also.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON -- So, while most of us marvel at David Ortiz's remarkable start, especially since he missed all of spring training, and one columnist (Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe) confronted him about steroid suspicions, a couple of stories for a little historical perspective.
In 1954, Ted Williams fractured his collarbone on the first day of spring training and missed all of camp. He made his first appearance in the Sox lineup as a substitute on May 15, and the next day made his first starts, in a doubleheader at Detroit.
Williams went 8-for-9 in the two games, with two home runs and seven RBIs. Through his first 15 games, Williams, who was 35 at the time, hit .426 (20-for-47), had an OPS of 1.336, and hit four home runs.
[+] EnlargeMatthew J. Lee/The Boston Globe/Getty ImagesDavid Ortiz has been slowed by injury at times, but not by age.

Impressed? The year before, Williams was flying missions over Korea and returned to the Red Sox in August. This after missing all but six games in 1952 while he was at war. He practiced 10 days, then hit a home run in the eighth inning in his first game back. For the rest of the 1953 season, Williams batted .407 (37-for-91) with 13 home runs, 34 RBIs and an OPS of 1.410.
One other story. In 1938, Joe DiMaggio held out from spring training in a contract dispute. The Yankees offered him $25,000. He wanted $40,000. He missed all of camp, but in his first 15 games he hit .390 with six home runs and 13 RBIs.
Take the stories for what they're worth. Clearly we are referencing more innocent times, but in the case of at least two Hall of Famers, missing spring training and hitting at a phenomenal rate at the start of the season are not mutually exclusive events.

Ron Burgundy

I look good...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what rock does

and as soon as you said that no one cared about the loss because of the bruins game, rock jumped on that and humped it into oblivion...You guys can't just accept a loss, a series of losses, or a sucky team...you have to make it go away with excuses or tell us that you don't care and never cared...just say "man it sucked watching that" and move on.

Now what actually happens is... A bunch of NYers who have barely shown their faces the past week, come in and immediately start talking all manner of shit because Boston lost. It's all sooooooo important to you that we be upset by it.

Sorry... The Bruins winning an excellent playoff hockey game last night is the sports story in town. The Red Sox were a footnote.

Sorry to disappoint you because it's clearly so important to you that we be upset..

Alas, we have to disappoint you. The game that mattered last night was Bruins/Leafs.

PeteNYC

Smart!Rich!Good Looking!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON -- So, while most of us marvel at David Ortiz's remarkable start, especially since he missed all of spring training, and one columnist (Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe) confronted him about steroid suspicions, a couple of stories for a little historical perspective.
In 1954, Ted Williams fractured his collarbone on the first day of spring training and missed all of camp. He made his first appearance in the Sox lineup as a substitute on May 15, and the next day made his first starts, in a doubleheader at Detroit.
Williams went 8-for-9 in the two games, with two home runs and seven RBIs. Through his first 15 games, Williams, who was 35 at the time, hit .426 (20-for-47), had an OPS of 1.336, and hit four home runs.
[+] EnlargeMatthew J. Lee/The Boston Globe/Getty ImagesDavid Ortiz has been slowed by injury at times, but not by age.

Impressed? The year before, Williams was flying missions over Korea and returned to the Red Sox in August. This after missing all but six games in 1952 while he was at war. He practiced 10 days, then hit a home run in the eighth inning in his first game back. For the rest of the 1953 season, Williams batted .407 (37-for-91) with 13 home runs, 34 RBIs and an OPS of 1.410.
One other story. In 1938, Joe DiMaggio held out from spring training in a contract dispute. The Yankees offered him $25,000. He wanted $40,000. He missed all of camp, but in his first 15 games he hit .390 with six home runs and 13 RBIs.
Take the stories for what they're worth. Clearly we are referencing more innocent times, but in the case of at least two Hall of Famers, missing spring training and hitting at a phenomenal rate at the start of the season are not mutually exclusive events.

BWAHAHAHA

Ted Williams was on Steroids! Awesome!

heatwave31

i'll have the last laugh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Morrow is comparable to David Price!?

Heat - you have a choice between Josh Hamilton or Vernon Wells, who do you take?

But, wells has higher BA, HR, RBI etc...on May 9th.

you really may be the worst person I have ever discussed baseball with. for real!

i never said morrow was comparable to price. learn to read. i said that since he is humping era so much and saying morrow is trash then that makes price not better than morrow RIGHT NOW since morrow's era is better. according to how was evaluating things. see what happens when you jump in to a conversation trying to do you typical "gotcha"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall of Fame?
"Hands down," Victorino said. "It's hard, because people don't want to give credit to a DH, but what this guy has done -- this guy has 400-plus home runs, he has a chance for 500 homers, as a guy who didn't play in the field every day. And people don't want to give him credit for that? I understand, but as a player, trust me, I think it's harder to sit on the bench for nine innings. I couldn't do it. No way I could sit. I'd have to do something physically.
"That, to me, is what makes it even more impressive."
Last week in Toronto, John Farrell was asked how Ortiz compared as a hitter to when Farrell was in Boston the first go-round, from 2007 to 2010. "Better," Farrell said.
On Wednesday, he elaborated.
"It starts with his work routine leading up to BP," Farrell said, "and then what he sets out to accomplish every day on the field pregame. You rarely see him look to drive the ball out of the ballpark. He uses the whole field. For the first two rounds, he tries to pepper the left-field foul pole, which is clearly staying inside the ball and giving him full plate coverage.
"And when you look at what he has been able to do against left-handed pitching the last two years [.323, 103-for-319, 17 home runs, including this season], whether that was through conversation with Adrian Gonzalez and his approach against lefties -- I do know there were conversations that took place, I'm not saying that's the whole reason -- but he's matured and gotten better with time.
"And when you see how he goes about his work day, there's nothing artificial that has led him to the success that he has had."

Village Plumber

Consider it circumcised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So among other Heatwave gems from today:

1) Phelps didn't have an outstanding start yesterday

2) Vernon Wells didn't have a great game yesterday

3) Phelps wasn't a fill-in starter, even though he replaced someone in the rotation due to injury (I'd be curious to know what a "fill-in" starter is, if it isn't Phelps)

4) Coney Island is a hotbed of joodaism. What synogogue do you guys think Stephon Marbury prayed at?

Mike Oxlodge

I'm better looking than U
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirty cheaters like Ortiz arent sniffing the Hall of Fame, let alone dirty cheaters that were designated hitters.

Uno

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now what actually happens is... A bunch of NYers who have barely shown their faces the past week, come in and immediately start talking all manner of shit because Boston lost. It's all sooooooo important to you that we be upset by it.

Sorry... The Bruins winning an excellent playoff hockey game last night is the sports story in town. The Red Sox were a footnote.

Sorry to disappoint you because it's clearly so important to you that we be upset..

Alas, we have to disappoint you. The game that mattered last night was Bruins/Leafs.

Right, the red sox being a footnote had nothing to do with the highly touted rookie being blown out by the twins....

man your whole fanbase is a big bag of suck

Most Driven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happy days for boston fans yesterday

canucks swept, canadiens blow a lead

word is they may just flat out release luongo

With how bad Schneider looked that series... might be a bad idea

But yes Rangers and Islanders both tied up their series. Exciting times in NY

Ron Burgundy

I look good...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirty cheaters like Ortiz arent sniffing the Hall of Fame, let alone dirty cheaters that were designated hitters.

Could you even make a moderate attempt at masking your trolling... Even a little? Is that too much to ask?

Cuz Ox... Your posts have sucked big fat rhinoceros dick for a long time now.

PeteNYC

Smart!Rich!Good Looking!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never said morrow was comparable to price. learn to read. i said that since he is humping era so much and saying morrow is trash then that makes price not better than morrow RIGHT NOW since morrow's era is better. according to how was evaluating things. see what happens when you jump in to a conversation trying to do you typical "gotcha"

So, in Downlike fashion...when you compared Morrow's ERA directly to the ERA of David Price, you were NOT comparing them?!?!

Heat is dumber than Ape Shit

BUt, that is not comparing your intellegence to that of ape shit.

Mike Oxlodge

I'm better looking than U
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only deal in absolutes. David Ortiz is not going to the hall of fame. End of story.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not DHs, but dirty cheaters like Mantle got in, so there may be a glimmer of hope.

Ron Burgundy

I look good...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, the red sox being a footnote had nothing to do with the highly touted rookie being blown out by the twins....

man your whole fanbase is a big bag of suck

Yeah, one fucking game. How come you didn't discuss him after his first start?

Remember that time you discussed Andy Pettitte shitting all over himself for the past few weeks?

Yeah, pretty sure the words "Andy Pettitte" haven't been typed by a Yankee fan since mid-april.