• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Boudreau death watch - Update - Fired - Re-hired and soon to be fired?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no chance that Craig Button is still bitter from being fired from the Flames, is there?

/Hamilton has struggled, but has been much better the last couple of games. Gio, Wideman, and Russell need to step things up.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sbisa and Bieksa are pretty much equals ... AND THEY PLAYED AS A TANDEM LAST YEAR !!!!!

I see Craig Button called Bieksa the worst defenseman in the league right now (silver position goes to teach me how to Dougie Hamilton according to Button)

BRONZE has gotta be Pizzaman

no look buttdefense below!

View attachment 46328

Does Button watch East coast games? There's a few Penguins he needs to watch.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clendening ever getting back in the lineup? or is he destined for waivers?

He's press box captain. I don't know why though. He'll stay in that position though. They don't want to lose him, injuries are going to happen. Scuds/Lovejoy are brutal. His one game was great, but he took two borderline penalties, and that was that.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, Boudreau is a really good coach. You can't put all of that on him. If you have a 3-0 lead, you shouldn't even need a coach to finish off that win as a player.

These are the facts:
-Boudreau has the second highest winning percentage of any active coach with 200 games under his belt, ahead of guys like Babcock and Quenneville.
-He was brought in to coach a struggling team and immediately turned them around.
-The Ducks have won their division in three straight seasons, but only ONCE in the prior 19 years.
-They have gone one round further each of the last three seasons losing in 7 games to the eventual Cup champs last year. His record in playoff series with the Ducks is 3-3.

Frankly, I don't understand why 10 games in people would even be questioning this guy. Let's ignore the body of work and focus on that one game where his team blew a 3-goal lead.

He can coach. He can motivate. He's proven that with multiple teams and on multiple levels. Can he win a Cup? Don't know. It seems like this is more an invention of frustrated fans and the media than the actual team. And when coaches get fired a few games into the season, that says to me they have a crappy GM more than they have a crappy coach. That's just my feeling on the matter.

It's not like Bruce hasn't had any talent to work with. Ovie & Backstrom in Washington. Getzlaf & Perry in Anaheim. There aren't many quality coaches out their who wouldn't have success coaching those guys.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Bruce hasn't had any talent to work with. Ovie & Backstrom in Washington. Getzlaf & Perry in Anaheim. There aren't many quality coaches out their who wouldn't have success coaching those guys.

Yeah, but that talent in DC had two losing seasons and started 6-14-1 in '07 before Boudreau came in, ultimately making the playoffs by winning 8 of 9 down the stretch including a final do or die game on the last game of the season. He then won the President's Cup with the team two years later. A team that was DREADFUL in '06.

Similarly, Carlyle coached Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, and company to missing 2 of 3 playoffs from 2009-2012. Then the team won their division three straight times.

Just saying "he had those guys" isn't the point. Those guys were there before he arrived and not succeeding. In both situations after he arrived, the team did better with the same or similar clusters of star players. And not a little better - MUCH better. If those players weren't there before his arrival, okay then. But they were, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Maybe Bruce is only good for a few seasons. Some coaches are great at reviving a team but not at sustaining it. But he deserves a greater sample than 8 games to demonstrate if that is the case or not in my opinion.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but that talent in DC had two losing seasons and started 6-14-1 in '07 before Boudreau came in, ultimately making the playoffs by winning 8 of 9 down the stretch including a final do or die game on the last game of the season. He then won the President's Cup with the team two years later. A team that was DREADFUL in '06.

Similarly, Carlyle coached Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, and company to missing 2 of 3 playoffs from 2009-2012. Then the team won their division three straight times.

Just saying "he had those guys" isn't the point. Those guys were there before he arrived and not succeeding. In both situations after he arrived, the team did better with the same or similar clusters of star players. And not a little better - MUCH better. If those players weren't there before his arrival, okay then. But they were, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Maybe Bruce is only good for a few seasons. Some coaches are great at reviving a team but not at sustaining it. But he deserves a greater sample than 8 games to demonstrate if that is the case or not in my opinion.

My problem with Bruce is the postseason. Last years Ducks team was definitely good enough to win the Cup. Game 7 was a disaster. He was given a contract extension so I understand why the Ducks haven't parted ways with him. They've played a bit better recently. Hopefully they can keep it going.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet when looking at Perry and Getzlaf's 10 seasons together in Anaheim Boudreau's three full seasons rank 1st, 2nd and 4th in W%.

Same with Ovechkin and Backstrom. 8 seasons together, and Boudreau's three full seasons are the top 3 in W%.

With Perry and Getzlaf the Ducks have had a .639 W% (281 games) with Boudreau and a .588 W% (516 games) with other coaches.

With Ovechkin and Backstrom the Capitals had a .672 W% (329 games) with Boudreau behind the bench and have had a .566 W% (304 games) with other coaches.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet when looking at Perry and Getzlaf's 10 seasons together in Anaheim Boudreau's three full seasons rank 1st, 2nd and 4th in W%.

Same with Ovechkin and Backstrom. 8 seasons together, and Boudreau's three full seasons are the top 3 in W%.

With Perry and Getzlaf the Ducks have had a .639 W% (281 games) with Boudreau and a .588 W% (516 games) with other coaches.

With Ovechkin and Backstrom the Capitals had a .672 W% (329 games) with Boudreau behind the bench and have had a .566 W% (304 games) with other coaches.

You do realize last years Ducks team was stacked with talent right? Like I said above that team was good enough to win the Cup.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize last years Ducks team was stacked with talent right? Like I said above that team was good enough to win the Cup.
I would say they were almost good enough to win the Cup, but they were damn lucky as well. They faced some green in the gills playoff competition before they got to Chicago.

They only lost once in regulation in one goal games (thanks to Zach Kassian) and I believe their PDO was pretty high as well. The advanced stats said they were a playoff team but nowhere near a dominant clear cut Cup favorite. When Freddy Anderson became a mediocre goalie in the playoffs it really showed the smoke and mirror nature of the Ducks last year.

With that being said, Boudreau does a hell of a job with the talent or lack thereof he is given.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every year multiple teams are "good enough to win the cup" and don't. That's simply the nature of professional sports. I'm not saying that's never the coach's fault, but more often than not it isn't and I don't see much evidence suggesting that it was here.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, while I'm not trying to give you shit and I certainly don't think that you meant anything by it for future reference "You do realize..." is probably not a good way to start a post to me.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, while I'm not trying to give you shit and I certainly don't think that you meant anything by it for future reference "You do realize..." is probably not a good way to start a post to me.

All anyone has to do is look at last years Ducks roster to see they had enough talent to win the Cup. The reason they lost Game 7 to Chicago is because Quennville shortshifted his forwards & Beaudreau didn't make any adjustments during the entire game. I'm not saying Chicago didn't deserve to win. I'm not saying they weren't the better team. I'm simply saying the Ducks coach cost his team a chance at winning Game 7 by not making ANY adjustments during the game.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE: Boudreau and the Ducks have won 4 straight.

They are only 6 points out of first place in the Pacific, but they are running out of time with only 68 games left.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE: Boudreau and the Ducks have won 4 straight.

They are only 6 points out of first place in the Pacific, but they are running out of time with only 68 games left.

Thankfully, the Pacific Division is quite terrible this year. The Flames (like the Ducks) are still in the playoff hunt after a horrific start.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully, the Pacific Division is quite terrible this year. The Flames (like the Ducks) are still in the playoff hunt after a horrific start.

Well if you want to take the Ducks out of the hunt, Dash, (looks around) I think I have your solution...

800px-NES-zapper.jpg

PS - Beast > Werst!

:behindsofa: