• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns reportedly back in on Jimmy Garoppolo

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to be a starter there will be limited options really. Browns, Jets, Bears maybe Texans Cardinals and Bills. So just wait a year even with Jimmy G they arent going to win much keep the picks and use up some of that space they have next year to offer him a monster deal.
Offer whom a moster deal?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns would be smart to rebuild this year and sign Jimmy to a contract next year when he becomes a FA.
Trading for him is such a Cleveland thing to do though.

Not really sure why anyone would deal with NE. They call about a guy, I'm offering him an extension five minutes later. They offer a guy, I'm assuming he has cancer or an unreported ACL tear.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause he will be a FA next year and Cleveland wants a starting QB.
Okay I get it, it's Cleveland!!! I'm not sure that Jimmy Garoppolo is a starting QB?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for him is such a Cleveland thing to do though.

Not really sure why anyone would deal with NE. They call about a guy, I'm offering him an extension five minutes later. They offer a guy, I'm assuming he has cancer or an unreported ACL tear.

Exactly.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said it was stupid to let their best wr walk and sign britt.......im saying he was a one year wonder.......britt that is
Both right now are one year wonders as far as 1000 yard years go. One was willing to take #2 money over 4 which is right in line with Britt's production of 700-750 yards most years. If he gets 1000- super, looks like a great move. If he sucks- it doesn't matter the cap hit and gtd are low enough to cut him by the time the Browns have enough talent to where Britt would get in the way.

I like Pryor more myself, but as Harold already pointed out the Browns offered Pryor a deal and he balked; so you can't say they thought Britt was the better player. You can't wait around for the perfect FA as the Browns. They've already had better players outright snub them. Secondly, Pryor took a 1 year deal. So it wasn't as though the market was totally out of alignment with the Browns' analysis. Very easily could be a #2 from here on out, and not a legit 1.

If you have a choice between two "one year wonders" in their late 20's as a terrible team like Cleveland, pick the one giving you the 4 year deal commensurate with an actual #2 (and get this, his career) instead of the guy betting on himself on a 1 year contract; which suits teams in the playoff hunt more like Washington (Pryor), Atlanta (Poe). and Kansas City (Logan). Britt by the way has 10.5M fully guaranteed. Pryor for all intents and purposes is 8M- he's making the team. The difference is basically meaningless in terms of cap liquidity. If you want to stomp your feet about 3M or so, then whatever.

Meanwhile- if Pryor picks up another 1k+ year, he'll be asking for 12M AAV or more. A little over 33% more than Britt would be asking for- and a whole lot more guaranteed money. The Browns took the safer option here- and that is O.K. with these types of players in FA; it's arguably the smart choice. If you are a diehard believer in Pryor- knock yourself out, but don't use the 1 year wonder argument against Britt like it doesn't apply more to Pryor.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pryor for 8 or britt for 10

Terrelle Pryor Reportedly Turned Down a Cleveland Browns Four-Year Deal with $17 Million Guaranteed

The Browns offered Pryor a $32 million deal over four years, $17 million guaranteed. I'm told Pryor wanted a four-year deal averaging $13 million -- or $52 million total. Not sure how much guaranteed.

The Browns thought that was outrageous, as it would make him one of the highest-paid receivers in the NFL. They never had any intention of offering him the $15 million franchise tag for 2016. Being so far apart with Pryor, the Browns turned to Kenny Britt -- who quickly grabbed the deal.

Think the Browns did the right thing. First off you don't want a player shopping your offer for leverage to get a big contract, and second of all if your this far apart ( Pryor and the Browns ) time to go to plan B.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrelle Pryor Reportedly Turned Down a Cleveland Browns Four-Year Deal with $17 Million Guaranteed

The Browns offered Pryor a $32 million deal over four years, $17 million guaranteed. I'm told Pryor wanted a four-year deal averaging $13 million -- or $52 million total. Not sure how much guaranteed.

The Browns thought that was outrageous, as it would make him one of the highest-paid receivers in the NFL. They never had any intention of offering him the $15 million franchise tag for 2016. Being so far apart with Pryor, the Browns turned to Kenny Britt -- who quickly grabbed the deal.

Think the Browns did the right thing. First off you don't want a player shopping your offer for leverage to get a big contract, and second of all if your this far apart ( Pryor and the Browns ) time to go to plan B.
true

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this Jimmy Garoppolo another Matt Flynn?
From what've seen he actually looks pretty decent and has a better game than Flynn. But then again, It's not difficult to cherrypick QB samples that look good. It really just comes down to how much risk you want to take in a limited evaluation for Jimmy Garoppolo; and so far teams are balking at the asking price.