• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns reportedly back in on Jimmy Garoppolo

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok when the dinosaurs traded the other dinosaurs back in the Triassic... Rob Johnson? Are you fucking serious? And how did that work out for them?
yes, rob johnson. it happened

so did a tubby brett favre with no completions to his own team.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
favre
2nd round pick
undersized
0-4 with 2 picks in atlanta

gets a first from GB

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it just pushes the window 3-4 years down the road, because thats what guys like watson and the kid from NC are. 3 year projects, like...jimmy was.

would you rather gamble in the draft, or take a guy whos highly regarded by a team that just won 2 out of the last 3 SB's, and who has learned from the greatest QB and coach of all time?

What Patriots' QB has left the building and gone elsewhere to find good success? I think the whole playing behind a HOF QB is very overrated. If anything we have seen it actually hurt the player because those guys want as many snaps as possible during practice limiting the opportunity for the young guy to step up and show what he can do.

And at this point to me Jimmy G hasn't shown anything. If we went by the first few games of say RGIII people would be saying "this kid is special and teams should trade the next 3 1st round picks to get him." In fact RGIII had 7 total touchdowns (rushing/passing) to only 1 interception through 3 games. Heck we could take his entire rookie season and say "man this kid looks like he will be special." Well what happens is teams take the film during the offseason and figure out pretty easily what are the strengths and weaknesses of this player and adjust. So for me until I see a QB that has more than a handful of starts on their resume I'm not trading 1st round capital and more to get them. Especially when I look at some QB's like Mahomes who for Houston they love and could develop him for a year or two behind Romo.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Patriots' QB has left the building and gone elsewhere to find good success? I think the whole playing behind a HOF QB is very overrated. If anything we have seen it actually hurt the player because those guys want as many snaps as possible during practice limiting the opportunity for the young guy to step up and show what he can do.

And at this point to me Jimmy G hasn't shown anything. If we went by the first few games of say RGIII people would be saying "this kid is special and teams should trade the next 3 1st round picks to get him." In fact RGIII had 7 total touchdowns (rushing/passing) to only 1 interception through 3 games. Heck we could take his entire rookie season and say "man this kid looks like he will be special." Well what happens is teams take the film during the offseason and figure out pretty easily what are the strengths and weaknesses of this player and adjust. So for me until I see a QB that has more than a handful of starts on their resume I'm not trading 1st round capital and more to get them. Especially when I look at some QB's like Mahomes who for Houston they love and could develop him for a year or two behind Romo.
RG3 is a horrible example. he was a read option QB. jimmy...isnt.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, that Brett Favre trade 25 years ago has everything to do with Jimmy's value now.

Can't fix stupid.
so i was right...im gonna hedge a guess...22?

youre dealing with someone presenting/speaking at MIT tomorrow...so careful with the stupids.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

youre dealing with someone presenting/speaking at MIT tomorrow...so careful with the stupids.

What are you speaking on?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet they'd rather spend money on Romo and draft a Pat Mahomes behind him than Jimmy G.

Exactly.....they are built to win now. They want a seasoned player, not somebody who will have their share of ups and downs. They got rid of Osweiler, they could just start Savage if they wanted a young player since Savage has potential.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1st and 4th I might see a team swallow some pride for as Jimmy G has generally looked good, but beyond that is theft. If Jimmy G had played more games I'd be more open to the idea. Tough to convince me Romo/draftpick isn't a superior choice to either of your proposed options so long as Romo dangles about.

Brock Osweiler looked good at times for Denver.....how'd it turn out in Houston?

There's no guaranteed Jimmy G pans out at all.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are wrong on my age and you are wrong that the going rate for Brett Favre in 1992 has anything to do with Jimmy's value now. And if Rob Johnson has any role in determining Jimmy's value it would be to lower it since the trade backfired.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the broader point is the SSS prevents a more robust analysis of Jimmy G from taking place in actual regular season games; thus preventing a team from taking the plunge whereas Bradford and Smith were more known commodities by comparison. The read option reliance is true but secondary to the broader point, imo.

You argue in favor of upside for Jimmy G when the very same is true for a draftpick, and given cap considerations, likely higher than that of Jimmy G provided the organization is at least somewhat competent at QB evaluation and development. Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn, and Brock Osweiler are relatively fresh memories in the minds of FO's. I like Jimmy G in his actual regular season time- I just don't like that he hasn't played much.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Osweiler looked good at times for Denver.....how'd it turn out in Houston?

There's no guaranteed Jimmy G pans out at all.
False- he was always pretty bad if you looked closely, IMO. Houston just sucks at evaluating QB's. Or at least the people with power do.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok Jake Locker then. Completion Percentage wasn't great but showed potential early on, comes from a more pro style offense in college, and yet once teams got more film on him he couldn't cut it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
False- he was always pretty bad if you looked closely, IMO. Houston just sucks at evaluating QB's. Or at least the people with power do.

He was average at best during his starts for the Broncos. He wasn't asked to do much. He did show some promise with his 4th quarter comebacks against both the Bengals and Patriots in the regular season but beyond that not much. And it was easy to see as teams got more film on him the more he struggled and just didn't understand the defensive concepts being thrown at him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's part of a study to see how MIT students respond to a retard on stage.

I'm just not seeing any presentations on the schedule for MIT so just wondering what he is actually doing?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was average at best during his starts for the Broncos. He wasn't asked to do much. He did show some promise with his 4th quarter comebacks against both the Bengals and Patriots in the regular season but beyond that not much. And it was easy to see as teams got more film on him the more he struggled and just didn't understand the defensive concepts being thrown at him.
IIRC, wasn't he pushing a 10% sack rate? All kinds of alarm bells right away.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, wasn't he pushing a 10% sack rate? All kinds of alarm bells right away.

Yeah this is where the OL while bad that year wasn't as bad as the final results. Osweiler looked exactly like you would expect a rookie to look. He kept holding onto the ball just hoping something would open up. He thought of himself as a very athletic guy but if you watch him run he just doesn't have the suddenness to escape like you need. Heck he looked like he was about to fall over the second he tried to take off running. So yes it lead to him taking a lot of sacks that never needed to happen. He would be outside the pocket with an easy opportunity to throw it away and instead would take a 10 yard sack. It was frustrating to watch.

I was one that was hoping the Broncos wouldn't re-sign him. I didn't see the things that I was hoping for when we drafted him. I didn't like the pick when we made it either though. Actually tweeted Elway as the pick was getting closer to not take Osweiler. Obviously don't have much pull with the organization.