• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Browns / Bengals

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
odds on yahoo:
Browns by 6
over/under 43.5

which equates to:
Bengals 18.75
Browns 24.75

I think we can pull out an upset.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the internet is this is the first game Mike Brown will not be attending.

That has to be a sign for something, right? Hopefully for something good.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's odd to me that the Browns are giving 6 to anyone. I'm not sure why Vegas is so high on them here. The Bengals played them pretty well in both games last year.

It's impossible to know if the offense will improve enough to win on the road here. I'd like to see a solid primetime effort, if for nothing else, to cleanse the pallet after the many years of primetime Andy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G0UDQLP.gif

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm awarding the Sean Brewer Nonparticipation Award tonight

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had AJ under 4 receptions and he’s hurt on the first play. Easy money

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fred Johnson in the running for SBNT

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Death, taxes and the bengals biting on every play action play ever

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s pretty obvious that Joe Burrow is a stud. Looks like another Luck to me. His ball placement and poise are absurd. He, along with Boyd, Mixon (1st half), and Sample (lol) were the only ones worth a shit tonight.

The rest of this team is AIDS. It’s embarrassing that Bobby Shart is still a starting RT in the NFL. For all the Hobspin pipe smoke during camp, this OL unit is just as shitty as the last 3 years. Also can someone explain Auden Tate as a healthy scratch? Wasn’t he the talk of camp? Yet John Ross continues to hold a roster spot and do absolutely nothing. Pathetic.

Don’t get me started on the defense. Good lord are they bad. Granted, it’s not their fault Geno is hurt. You can tell they miss him. But that doesn’t excuse the piss poor scheming by Lou. Why is he a DC again?

Also, remember when AJ Green was good? Seems like 5 years ago. That dude looks slow and hurt. Damn shame.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's officially the Fred Johnson NonParticipation Trophy. Gee whiz how bad must Billy Price be?

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning After thoughts:

AJ is done, hurt, or both
Jonah Williams is barely an upgrade from last year's LT mess
How bad must Price be?
Why did they waste the 33rd pick in the draft on a guy who is their 4th receiver?
The reason there was so much positive talk about the O-Line is because the D-Line is pathetic. I don't want to hear any more about Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson. The only time I even saw Dunlap was when he was in no-man's land on the Hunt TD.
The best 2 players on the team are Burrow and Brandon Wilson

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins will get more involved in the offense as the season wears on. It's not uncommon for a rookie wide receiver to spend the first year getting adjusted to the NFL.

My guess is John Ross, though, is here because no one would trade for him, and it just seems like a shame to release him. if this was baseball, we could send him to AAA to work out his swing, but we need him to pull his head out of his ass.

Just adding Geno won't fix this defense, they looked very slow compared to the Browns offensive players.

Also, the OL is getting overwhelmed playing some very average teams. this is not good. protect your franchise QB at all costs...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and AJ Green is slow to get up on every play. He doesn't look the same.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins will get more involved in the offense as the season wears on. It's not uncommon for a rookie wide receiver to spend the first year getting adjusted to the NFL.

My guess is John Ross, though, is here because no one would trade for him, and it just seems like a shame to release him. if this was baseball, we could send him to AAA to work out his swing, but we need him to pull his head out of his ass.

Just adding Geno won't fix this defense, they looked very slow compared to the Browns offensive players.

Also, the OL is getting overwhelmed playing some very average teams. this is not good. protect your franchise QB at all costs...
I'm not saying Higgins isn't good, or going to be good, my point was that he's buried as the 4th (should realistically be 3rd) WR on the depth chart. For that high of a pick, they should have picked someone who could make a more immediate impact (OL, CB)

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing that can happen to this team is to go 2-14 or 3-13 and end up with a top pick and sell it for a bunch of draft picks

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this can't be fixed by the draft, unfortunately.

unless they dive into the free agent pool, nothing will change.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since AJ Green has already used up all his highlight reels, we may end up drafting Joe Burrows buddy Ja'Marr Chase, WR

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few thoughts:

Burrow is damned good. Already. His poise and pocket presence really stand out. He's missing a few throws here and there, but I think with a better OL, the kid would be putting up monster stats right now - and that is without a pre-season or a real off-season. Kid is going to be a stud for a long, long time. Look for a career ending injury in year 2-4, because, well...Bengals.

That being said - you can't let him continue to throw the ball 60 times a game. That's poor. You have to get Mixon going on the ground, if for no other reason - to help limit the rush against Burrow. It's the only thing that can really slow down the opposing teams pass-rush, because the OL surely can't. DB's are sitting on top of the WR's because they know the line will not allow enough time for the WR's to run deep routes. Everything is kept in front of them without fear.

Fred Johnson does not look like a guard, and having spent the bulk of his time at Tackle, I have no idea why anyone thought this would be a good idea, other than - how damned bad must Price be? I'd also point out that on several plays, the DL twisted and Fred was left looking pretty bad, but ended up trying to block 2 guys while Hart just stood around and watched. As a matter of fact, I am amazed at how often Hart is simply standing around - blocking no one. It's one thing to whiff and suck - but there are multiple plays where he is simply standing there, doing nothing at all. However, my favorite play occurred in the 4th quarter. With a DE lined up to Harts' right side, out wide, no LB directly over him, on the snap, Hart did not even focus on the DE until he was nearly already by him. Hart looked to his left and center and never once really looked at the DE. Burrow was able to step up and around the rush, but good God - how do you NOT start out looking/blocking the 1 position that is closest to you, and NO ONE ELSE THERE TO BLOCK HIM? At this point, can it really hurt to run Price at guard and Johnson at Tackle - just to get a look? Something? I mean, if it is this bad, and there is no fix on this team, they should be raiding practice squads and street free agents every week - someone out there is better than these guys. Anyone.

The defense is missing 2 of its top 3 tackles, and it shows. But more than that, this scheme blows. There is no imagination, no pressure, and no real process. The DC needs to be fired. The lack of awareness on downs, especially 3rd down, and lack of rush with guys like Lawson, Dunlap, and Hubbard is inexcusable. Teams have schemed how to stop this rush - and the staff has done nothing to counter. This is squarely on the DC. By the way, Bates just missed another tackle while typing this.

On AJ Green. Damn. He's just old. I mean, he hasn't played a full season in, what, 4 years. He looks SLLLLLOOOOWWWWW. He can still make those great quick catches because of his size and length, but his ability to get open deep with his speed is absolutely gone. He's got no giddy-up left. After every deep ball, he winces back to the sideline like a creaky old man who just tried to run a fast-break in the over 40 Devero's league. It's a shame that injuries took away his last 4 good years. Ross should be on the street. The fact that Tate is inactive while Ross gets snaps is unconscionable. I know what I've seen on the playing field on Sundays - and that is Tate making catches. Tate making plays. Know what I haven't seen - John Ross making any big play - EVER.

The over under on wins prior to the season, I think, was 5.5. At the time, I was thinking things could get going enough to win 6-7 games, simply because the amount of 1 score games they lost last year was bound to balance out, and better QB and upgraded defense. However, at this point, now, there's no way. I still think some close games may end up going their way simply because Burrow is going to get more chances at some winning drives, and will deliver. He's that good. But, the refusal to make adjustments on the OL, either by personnel or scheme and the lack of any kind of defensive scheme/adjustment is going to continue to drag this team down to the depths of the league. If you can't protect the passer, or get to the opposing QB, the team is going to struggle more often than not and right now, the Bengals cannot do either.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their running plays are so predictable that an idiot like me can tell when they're going to run it. It also doesn't help that every run is out of the shotgun. I don't know if its the scheme, or because of the line but they don't seem to have a play where they can line up to run and get 2-3 yards that every other team in the league can do.

My thinking is that when the injured guard comes back (if he comes back), they'll put Fred Johnson at left tackle and Jonah at right.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s obvious the Bengals are in rebuild mode still, and thus Zac Taylor will be given time to figure it out. Probably too much time. This is the Brown family after all.

But I’m already wondering if he’s the guy to lead the Burrow era. If for nothing else, his choices in staff hires. The OL coach and DC need to go.

Bobby Hart, Fred Johnson, Billy Price...these are all Jim Turner guys. It’s inconceivable to me that two seasons in a row, the coaches thought going into a season with this position group intact was a productive plan.

As for the defense, it’s been noted that 3 DL are missing. But that doesn’t excuse the piss poor tackling and run fits. They spent an entire draft on LBs and not one of them has made an impact in the run game. Looks like the same shit to me. Also the lack of pressure this front 7 generates is laughable. I keep hearing how great Dunlap, Hubbard and Lawson are....have they even had their names mentioned through two games?

Lou is a hack. Nothing but 4 man rush, drop into coverage, chase and tackle. Same shit we’ve been watching for years. That’s to be expected though, given he was the 7th choice for the DC position after everyone else balked.