• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday Night Football: Browns @ 49ers

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad there wasn't a way the Browns could upgrade their OL. It's gotta be one of the worst in the league. And I'm not looking forward to that Seattle game. It could get ugly.
Yep...no doubt with anything other than hindsight there's nothing they can do now. Didn't love the Zeitler/Vernon deal when it happened. Hate it more now.

That said, win next week and perception changes again.

Cannot believe we went 3-13, stripped the roster and played with a 3rd string rookie QB and never lost by more than 25 in 2016. This team has done that 2 times in 5 games.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad there wasn't a way the Browns could upgrade their OL. It's gotta be one of the worst in the league. And I'm not looking forward to that Seattle game. It could get ugly.

To be honest...as sexy as the OBJ move was...getting OT Trent Williams from the Redskins was a better move.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while a small part of me likes what Bosa did to Baker the bigger part thinks it's bush. Wouldn't think that if it wasn't done by a guy who quit on his team last year and the flag plant wasn't 1-2 years before he quit.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest...as sexy as the OBJ move was...getting OT Trent Williams from the Redskins was a better move.

I'm not going to go back several months and find the thread/my post, but I was not a huge fan of the OBJ trade and I think I graded it poorly/average for the Browns and higher for the Giants. I thought it could potentially cause locker room/drama issues, Mayday is a bit of a diva and pairing a diva WR could be a negative, and just didn't understand what FELT like a 'win now' approach on a team with still quite a few question marks and not even sure if Baker Mayday is the right answer (ALWAYS wait until year 2 is over - same thing in MLB).

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a good one and I expect the score to be in the 20s for both teams.

Whoever can establish the run game the best should be the winner. Both teams have fearsome pass rushes and both teams have offensive lines who aren't exactly stout against the pass rush so neither team can really afford to drop back a ton and expect to win.

I'll give the edge to the 9ers since they've had an extra week to prepare and rest along with the fact it's a prime time west coast game which for an east coast team is almost like a 10am start for a west coast team.

Also I just believe the 9ers will be able to run the ball more effectively than the Browns. The Browns defense has been just alright against the run whereas the 9ers are 3rd in terms of rush yards per game.

Still it's anyone's guess as to how this game goes especially since both teams aren't exactly careful about holding onto the ball.
Well @Jikkle , you called it, buddy. I would say a lot more effective rushing. That opening shot by Brieda pretty much set the tone. 275 yds total and 3 yds shy of 2 guys getting over 100. Jimmy G could have sat in a lazy boy back there and watched the game and tge Niners still would have rolled.
Solid win for the Niners in prime time. Unwatchable because of ESPN though. Anyway, Browns need to get better in the trenches on both sides. Exact opposite of what the Colts were on Sunday. All the talent in the world on offense won't win consistently when the QB is on his back and the D can't get a finger on guys.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to go back several months and find the thread/my post, but I was not a huge fan of the OBJ trade and I think I graded it poorly/average for the Browns and higher for the Giants. I thought it could potentially cause locker room/drama issues, Mayday is a bit of a diva and pairing a diva WR could be a negative, and just didn't understand what FELT like a 'win now' approach on a team with still quite a few question marks and not even sure if Baker Mayday is the right answer (ALWAYS wait until year 2 is over - same thing in MLB).

With a legit WR1 onboard, they could've gotten a WR2 from the draft or lower level FA, but OBJ was a splash move and I'm sure it played a part in the media's crush on the Browns offseason.

Now...they've got to battle thru the rest of this season with the way they're built and fix the OL next year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield so far this season looking like the bust I called him when he was drafted. He got figured out in the offseason.
Maybe...or he's been like many QBs this season. Good games against poor defenses, bad games against good ones?

He had his issues, sure, but his teammates didn't help him at all. Actually wish it was just him but that was a team loss.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a legit WR1 onboard, they could've gotten a WR2 from the draft or lower level FA, but OBJ was a splash move and I'm sure it played a part in the media's crush on the Browns offseason.

Now...they've got to battle thru the rest of this season with the way they're built and fix the OL next year.

Yah who knows... I was just surprised they took OBJ instead of bolstering the line or upping the defense... kind of like SAN FRANCISCO did? But I get it... Baker Mayfield was going to 'save the Browns' so now we need to get him arguably the best WR in the league! Which means he'll now force passes to OBJ so OBJ wont get pissed :rolleyes2:

Kind of eerily similar when Josh Gordon came back and the Browns were doing pretty decent, and then they started trying to force a ton of passes to Gordon and they started losing games, lol.

Should've just built up the defense and/or O-Line more and let Chubb be the feature of the offense (not Mayfield). Humble Mayfield a bit and bring him along slowly. BUT, it's the Browns... I expect them to make stupid decisions like this.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come you don't want to talk about the Browns over here @dtgold88 ?

You won't shut the fuck up about them on the NBA boards...
Because I was watching the game with my son and not posting anywhere. But here I am.

Good to know your crying/stalking isn't limited to one place, though.

Weep away.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...or he's been like many QBs this season. Good games against poor defenses, bad games against good ones?

He had his issues, sure, but his teammates didn't help him at all. Actually wish it was just him but that was a team loss.

He really hasn't had one good game, lol. You could argue the Baltimore game he was good but he still chucked an INT... and agreed Baltimore is not a good defense anymore given all their departures. Maybe good in Balti, certainly not great.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah who knows... I was just surprised they took OBJ instead of bolstering the line or upping the defense... kind of like SAN FRANCISCO did? But I get it... Baker Mayfield was going to 'save the Browns' so now we need to get him arguably the best WR in the league! Which means he'll now force passes to OBJ so OBJ wont get pissed :rolleyes2:

Kind of eerily similar when Josh Gordon came back and the Browns were doing pretty decent, and then they started trying to force a ton of passes to Gordon and they started losing games, lol.

Should've just built up the defense and/or O-Line more and let Chubb be the feature of the offense (not Mayfield). Humble Mayfield a bit and bring him along slowly. BUT, it's the Browns... I expect them to make stupid decisions like this.
At the very least keep Zeitler and find a DE in FA.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least keep Zeitler and find a DE in FA.

Yah.. they gave up a ridiculous amount for OBJ. A young safety that they spent a 1st (? I think?) on, a good guard, and draft capital, for a diva WR. I get OBJ is great, no argument there, but really? All that for a WR? And Olivier Vernon's overbloated contract?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really hasn't had one good game, lol. You could argue the Baltimore game he was good but he still chucked an INT... and agreed Baltimore is not a good defense anymore given all their departures. Maybe good in Balti, certainly not great.
Like many QBs this season. And, yes, I'd say he was very good in Bmore. Elite? No, but very good for sure.

If he cannot step up when they play a Cinci type team I'll be very concerned.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They got away with Robinson at LT last year so they decided to go with him again, instead of bolstering that position. After getting 27 TDs last year, I guess I can't blame the average Brown's fan from thinking they finally got this position solved. But I'm with you...that second yr after everyone has a yr of tape on you is probably just as important as the rookie yr in some cases.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah.. they gave up a ridiculous amount for OBJ. A young safety that they spent a 1st (? I think?) on, a good guard, and draft capital, for a diva WR. I get OBJ is great, no argument there, but really? All that for a WR? And Olivier Vernon's overbloated contract?
Many Browns fans think Dorsey walks on water and love every move he makes....especially these moves. While I didn't hate them I was skeptical, especially of the Zeitler/Vernon move. what made it worse was Dorsey still thought Corbett could play so they didn't look for a better guard in FA. They had a ton of cap room....how about keep Zeitler and just find a DE in FA?

OBJ? I get going after him, though can also understand questioning $30-35 mil on 2 WRs. Fans here also didn't like many players from previous regime so they were happy to see Peppers go. Also seemed like Dorsey went out of his way to get rid of guys he didn't acquire/pick (like Zeitler and Peppers). would think they could have acquired OBJ without giving up Peppers if they wanted.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got away with Robinson at LT last year so they decided to go with him again, instead of bolstering that position. After getting 27 TDs last year, I guess I can't blame the average Brown's fan from thinking they finally got this position solved. But I'm with you...that second yr after everyone has a yr of tape on you is probably just as important as the rookie yr in some cases.
It is......but I cannot lay all their issues on Baker. Last loss he was holding ball too long. Last night I thought was more on O-line. A lot of drops didn't help either and the INT off Callaway was a killer.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, couldn't find me actually giving the trade a grade, but I found this thread where I posted numerous times:

OBJ trade rumors

Basically everything we're seeing now is what I said months ago with exception of OBJ causing locker room issues, but I feel we're not far off from that especially if they lose to Seattle going into the bye.