• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos too lackadaisical for the SB?

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Mincey was talking about the Broncos SB lose and he thought it was because the Broncos didn't play with enough passion and were too lackadaisical. I think that's a valid observation. I'll add one more, too business like.

"That's the thing about having older guys -- and Denver was full of older guys -- [they] take stuff a little lighter than younger guys do ... but we were more laid back and lackadaisical and I think that cost us, in a sense," Mincey said. "But you live and you learn. Denver's putting together some great players and a great scheme and I think they're going to have a phenomenal year."

In the first week of free agency, the Broncos have added DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward to, as Elway noted via Twitter, add energy and toughness to the defense.

When Marvez asked Mincey if the pre-Super Bowl locker room should've been more "rah-rah, you're playing the game of your life," the defense end said: "Yeah, it should've been, you know. All of us could have played a lot better, but things happen. But as you can see with what coach Del Rio, coach Fox and John Elway are trying to put together, I don't think they want to go through what they went through last year. And adding those type of players can make your team very dangerous."

This isn't the first time we've heard that the Broncos weren't ready for the enormity of the Super Bowl. Days after the game, wide receiver Wes Welker admitted that the team didn't prepare well for the crowd noise that led to a safety on Denver's first offensive snap.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psychologists have uncovered a pretty large body of evidence that people just basically cook up ad hoc stories to try to explain what they don't know. Hard for me to imagine that the team was too lackadaisical or too business like in its approach to its biggest game in fifteen years. I give Seattle credit for the win. They made us look worse than we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Seattle their due but I think Mincey was right on. The team seamed flat or too businesslike to me. It didn't seem like they played with a lot of passion and that's one thing Seattle shouldn't have been able to take, especially in the beginning of game. With all due respect, those physiologists must have never played sports. I've been playing some sport since I could walk and being flat happens and sometimes it happens to an entire team. The Broncos were flat for the Jacksonville game, no emotion. Some days are just like that no matter your vocation.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect, you got devastated. There was no preparation or proper mindset to deal with it. It all happened too fast. If that wasn't a learning experience for the Broncos, nothing ever will be. If they can pull off a perfect draft, I say they're favorites to contend with the Patriots in the AFC.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Seattle their due but I think Mincey was right on. The team seamed flat or too businesslike to me. It didn't seem like they played with a lot of passion and that's one thing Seattle shouldn't have been able to take, especially in the beginning of game. With all due respect, those physiologists must have never played sports. I've been playing some sport since I could walk and being flat happens and sometimes it happens to an entire team. The Broncos were flat for the Jacksonville game, no emotion. Some days are just like that no matter your vocation.

Yeah I have to agree. They were just plain flat and off their game for which Seattle deserves all the credit. Not all teams have your Pete Carrol, Harbaugh, "Rah Rah " motivational coaches. I`d venture do guess Patriots and Belicheck were all "business like" in locker room before their SB wins. They brought it to the field too. Seattle D put the pressure on Manning and threw of the timing right from the get go and they just couldn`t get on track. Don`t want to see that again.....ever:gaah:

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a great offense doesnt mean shit when it comes to winning a SuperBowl. Its about defense and being a physical team. Pretty stats and records are garbage. Ill keep on saying it until proven otherwise.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got knocked right in the mouth and ran like cowards.

Wow! Calling "your" Nfl team "cowards" is pretty friggin harsh. You must of lost alot of money on that game. Maybe next time you should leave the wallet out of it and just be a fan Malibu.:noidea:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weed. They all smoked week before the game. It happens.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will actually defend Malibu here. While I think calling them cowards is a overly dramatic I do think the team last year shut down when playing more physical defenses. If the offense did not get its way it struggled and I think the defense was too weak to compensate.

The SB was an embarrassment and one that showed the broncos were not prepared for that game. When your team loses the SB by one of the biggest margins ever it is hard to defend anything. For whatever reason the team got embarrassed and I hope Elway and Fox are going to adjust.

Manimal Sighting

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love hearing all the reasons why we lost after the fact...seattle played well and we didnt. everyone seems to have 20/20 hindsight and if we were all "rah rah" before the game we would now be hearing about how they didnt take it seriously...either way it was one of the most painful things to watch. that being said, I feel the front office is putting together an offseason that will give us a chance to make up for it this year

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seahawks fan I've got to say the bright side for the Broncos is that going into 2014 your team is likely going to be extremely dedicated to getting back to the Superbowl and proving that the loss to the Seahawks was not who you guys really are. Losing by that many points in that fashion will likely cause a lot of guys on that roster to have a chip on their shoulders to show that the Broncos are a better team than they looked in that game, which they are.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love hearing all the reasons why we lost after the fact...seattle played well and we didnt. everyone seems to have 20/20 hindsight and if we were all "rah rah" before the game we would now be hearing about how they didnt take it seriously...either way it was one of the most painful things to watch. that being said, I feel the front office is putting together an offseason that will give us a chance to make up for it this year

Exactly. All of the rah rah shish koom bah in the world wouldn't have mattered. The Super Bowl was an avalanche of mistakes that the Broncos made that the Seahawks killed us on. Every single mistake we made, they made us pay. I don't buy the criticism that the Broncos were too businesslike; this team made it to the Super Bowl. So it's ok to be business all throughout the playoffs, but not when you get to the Super Bowl? I think that's ridiculous.

Another thing I don't by is the idea that a team with older guys is more laid back. If anything, a team with older guys would probably have a greater sense of urgency to win because they know they're running out of chances.

There are plenty of examples of rah rah teams winning it all, just like there are plenty of examples of business like teams winning it all. You don't have to be one or the other, you just have to be talented and play better than your opponent on that day.