• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos new HC

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea what time the press conference will be aired?

Reactions: LGM

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Broncos website:
When Hackett first joined the Jaguars, Florida Times-Union reporter Vito Stellino described Hackett as someone who "acts as if every day is Christmas morning." Hackett realized that, he said, after he had his first child.
"I was like, 'Man, is this what I was like as a kid?' and my wife said, 'That's what you are now,'" Hackett said. "I said, 'OK, thank you.' It's just a way of life."

Over the years, that energy has come through in a number of ways. He told the Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala that at one point he wanted to be a backup dancer for Janet Jackson or Justin Timberlake.
That "infectious energy," as Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has called it, also comes across naturally in his teaching methods as he works tirelessly to keep players engaged and inject fun into what can became routine.

"It's understanding that every player has different motivators and everybody can respond differently to coaching, and figuring out what those buttons are on certain people to push to get the most out of them," Rodgers told. "That's what he does really well. He disarms guys and makes them feel really comfortable, and then he's really good at teaching the game."

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't followed the coaching search closely but I'm actually really happy with this pick. I think this team needed an offensive minded coach because our offense has been horrific for years. I'll give Fangio a lot of credit: he fielded some really credible defenses despite a lot of adversity and no help to speak of from the offense. But the W-L column was lacking and that's in larger part because the offense couldn't score. In this era of the NFL, if you have a defense routinely holding opponents to around 20 PPG and still can't win games you're doing something wrong on offense. The 2019 and 2021 defenses were doing their part. (Scoring was up against the 2020 unit but I literally do not consider anything that happened in the covid year to be worth reading too deeply into. I'm willing to treat that entire season like one long overhyped pre-season.)

So my hope is an offensive minded coach can get this team scoring again. The league wants scoring. The league is rewarding teams that field good offenses. The league has chosen to relegate defense a second class citizen of the game. The Broncos need to get on board if they want to be relevant again. Maybe Hackett can get them there.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To watch the press conference:
Thanks, Sprangy!!
Spring Springtime GIF by Trolli

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great presser! I dare anyone to watch this and think, “This guy doesn’t have a chance to be a successful head coach.”

But maybe my favorite quote was from Paton when he said, “Nathaniel and I are joined together at the hip - we‘re in this together.” I think for a franchise to be successful it’s mandatory for the GM and HC to be on the same page. And it sure feels like the two of them are.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great presser! I dare anyone to watch this and think, “This guy doesn’t have a chance to be a successful head coach.”

But maybe my favorite quote was from Paton when he said, “Nathaniel and I are joined together at the hip - we‘re in this together.” I think for a franchise to be successful it’s mandatory for the GM and HC to be on the same page. And it sure feels like the two of them are.
He didn't single out anyone like Vic did Von. Yep agree George. on joined at the hip part. Renewed energy and a HC who wouldn't be afraid to draft a QB in 23 if needed.

Is Hackett going to senior bowl?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Hackett going to senior bowl?
That question wasn’t asked - but George said he was going. I’d be surprised if Hackett doesn’t go, at the minimum for part of it.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 pages and no mention of Aaron Rodgers possibly coming to Denver with him?
I can’t speak for everyone else, but I think there’s maybe a 10% chance of Rodgers being anywhere other than GB or retiring after this year. I find it tiring to read all the speculation of something I think has little likelihood of happening.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t speak for everyone else, but I think there’s maybe a 10% chance of Rodgers being anywhere other than GB or retiring after this year. I find it tiring to read all the speculation of something I think has little likelihood of happening.
Wouldn’t you have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the QB discussion portion of the Hackett interview?

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His Fiancee lives in Boulder

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for his offensive system, Hackett referenced former Broncos star QB John Elway in describing how he'd like to beat defenses with a team that has struggled to score in recent years.

"I think the starting point is outside zone. Outside zone on offense is what you want to do and you want to base that off of play-pass," he said. "You want to make the defense cover the entire field, and you want to take shots down the field. I mean, let's all face it -- that's what the people in the stands love -- they love those bombs down the field. I remember watching John Elway throw the ball downfield to (Ed) McCaffrey on all those boot fakes. I mean, that was unbelievable. This is really where this system kind of evolved from and was created. So you're always looking for that. Then, mixing in the West Coast principle of the dropback game. That's kind of a quick summary."

I can't help but think this direction is right up Lock's alley, and what he seems to do naturally .. Maybe this ship has sailed, but I think with a staff behind him and backing him, he'd be able to excel ... or at least be a great backup to Rodgers/Wilson