• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos decline 5th yr option for Bolles

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This surprises me after not adding OT last weekend. Maybe that last year is too $$? Make him earn it? Shades of Sly Williams.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably want to wait and see how he plays and feel they can get him for cheaper. Unless Bolles plays like utter trash there's no way I don't see him being on the team in 2021.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably want to wait and see how he plays and feel they can get him for cheaper. Unless Bolles plays like utter trash there's no way I don't see him being on the team in 2021.

That makes sense. I know Bolles has struggled mightily, but I am still waving his flag. I like his durability. Now if we can get the rest of his game to catch up.

Reading the tea leaves I felt he has the confidence of management or we would have an OT option on the talent "plus side" already added to the roster.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This! I was in favor of the 5th year option for Bolles - until I found out it would pay him $11 Million a year. If he somehow develops (and I haven't lost hope) renegotiate the contract for 3 or 4 years at $6-7 million a year. Because of his reputation with holding his value around the league is pretty low.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This! I was in favor of the 5th year option for Bolles - until I found out it would pay him $11 Million a year. If he somehow develops (and I haven't lost hope) renegotiate the contract for 3 or 4 years at $6-7 million a year. Because of his reputation with holding his value around the league is pretty low.

Wow. $11M. That puts the proper spin on the news. #shadesofsly

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was surprised at how many people thought we might pick up Bolles option. I think it is just too risky. Yes, he played better at the end of last year, but he has really been to erratic to trust. Smart move by Denver, can't play with your money like that. Yeah, if he plays a full season like he did at the end of last year it looks like a dumb move, but how can you blame Denver? Same time if he plays well it could hurt us at the same time. I think after Elway's comment a few weeks back it was pretty clear Bolles wasn't having his option picked up. I still would expect a vet OT to come in to push he and Wilkinson.

All in all. I hope Bolles has a great year. I hope he is re-signed long term. I hope he is the answer to our LT spot. I hope he turns his talent into consistent play. But this is a business and you just can't fault Denver for making the decision they did. They couldn't risk it based on how bad he has been at times...

Our 5th year options have gone like this

Sylvester Williams- Declined
Bradley Roby- Picked up
Shane Ray- Declined
Paxton Lynch- Declined
Garret Bolles- Decline
Bradley Chubb- We already know

Noticing most 1st rd picks options being picked up this year which is good for the NFL. Although picks 3,4,5 did not and I doubt pick 2 does either (Trubisky)

Corey Davis
Tak McKinney
Garett Bolles
Gareon Conley
Solomon Thomas
Leonard Fourtnette
Reuben Foster

Did not have theirs picked up

Of what is left to decline other then Trubisky

Taco Charlton was just released by Miami after being released by Dallas during the season.
Charles Harris was just traded from Miami to Atlanta, can't imagine Atlanta will pick his up.

I would expect all the others to be picked up that are still pending.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fifth year is basically worthless . The players worth a 5th Year would already want a new contract and most would not be happy playing on a 5th year option. The others probably want to hit FA anyways

Think Mahoomes will play on a 5th year? I’m sure the chiefs would love to play Mahoomes 5th year option.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paxton Lynch- Declined

Well, technically yes, his 5th year option was "declined." Though it's hard to say with a straight face knowing he didnt even make it to the 3rd year of his rookie contract.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added on to you list DC, I think Fant shows signs of getting that 5th year option.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added on to you list DC, I think Fant shows signs of getting that 5th year option.

Agree. I only did up to Chubb since his is a year away. Hopefully Fant and Jeudy give us a three year streak.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, technically yes, his 5th year option was "declined." Though it's hard to say with a straight face knowing he didnt even make it to the 3rd year of his rookie contract.

Yes, very true.

waived/automatically declined. :dhd:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fifth year is basically worthless . The players worth a 5th Year would already want a new contract and most would not be happy playing on a 5th year option. The others probably want to hit FA anyways

Think Mahoomes will play on a 5th year? I’m sure the chiefs would love to play Mahoomes 5th year option.

Mahomes will get a long term extension before this year.
I think the 5th year option is nice. Players basically get a nice one year contract extension, a long term extension before the 5th (McCaffrey already for his Mahomes andWatson probably get theirs) or if they aren’t worth the money they arent stuck with the year 5 money like they use to be back before the rule changed.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes will get a long term extension before this year.
I think the 5th year option is nice. Players basically get a nice one year contract extension, a long term extension before the 5th (McCaffrey already for his Mahomes andWatson probably get theirs) or if they aren’t worth the money they arent stuck with the year 5 money like they use to be back before the rule changed.

it just seems crazy that if we picked up Bolles option we would’ve paid him $11 mil for that 5th year when as a Rookie he signed a 4-year $11 million contract. Unless teams are absolutely in love with a player I don’t see how it’s in their best interest to pay for that 5th year.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also didn’t realize that Bolles5th year option was so expensive.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, very true.

waived/automatically declined. :dhd:

Could just imagine that's how Elway broke the news to him.

"Hey, Paxton. Sorry to tell you, but we've declined to pick up your 5th year option. You're now a free agent, son."

"But Mr. Elway, I only just finished my 2nd season."

"Sure, so you certainly won't need to worry about missing out on that 5th year. We appreciate everything you did for the Broncos, now if you'd go ahead and turn in your playbook, kiddo. Best wishes."

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it just seems crazy that if we picked up Bolles option we would’ve paid him $11 mil for that 5th year when as a Rookie he signed a 4-year $11 million contract. Unless teams are absolutely in love with a player I don’t see how it’s in their best interest to pay for that 5th year.

It really depends. Some players have earned the money some haven't. It also gives a team one more year to develop/see the player to see if they are worth a long term extension. Use to be where teams would sign a player to a 5 year contract before they played a down in the NFL, and then they were stuck with them when they didn't earn the money. The point of the 5th year option was because rookies signed 5/6 years as first round picks and then would bust. Team were tired of having to pay rookies a contract that year 5 when they didn't earn the money.

Bolles would be too big of a gamble, IMO. 11 years 1 mil, you aren't locked into a long term contract and it only hurts you for one year, but that is still 11 million dollars for someone who so far has proved to be less than a 50% chance he be deserving of 11 mil next year.

Few years back we would be paying Paxton Lynch to be here 5 years, he would probably be rotting on our bench as a 3rd string QB or we would cut our ties early. But this way we aren't paying him for 5 years.. It protects teams from having to pay that 5th year, but it also gives them an opportunity to make a decision on a long term contract all while the player is getting paid well for that 5th year.

I think it was a great decision by the NFL... If a player deserves more before his 5th year you can sign him to the long term extension like McCaffrey etc, if he isn't worth it you save the money that he hasn't earned, and if you're on the fence if gives you one more year but you will have to pay him better than you did the first 4.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could just imagine that's how Elway broke the news to him.

"Hey, Paxton. Sorry to tell you, but we've declined to pick up your 5th year option. You're now a free agent, son."

"But Mr. Elway, I only just finished my 2nd season."

"Sure, so you certainly won't need to worry about missing out on that 5th year. We appreciate everything you did for the Broncos, now if you'd go ahead and turn in your playbook, kiddo. Best wishes."

He is still hanging on to an NFL roster spot by the hair of his chin too. Steelers promoted him last year from the PS after Rudolph got hurt. I don't know how much longer he will last though. He was never on a roster in 2018 after Seattle cut him in preseason. I'd be happy for him if he could somehow manage to bounce around for a few years as a 3rd string QB.

"If I can do it, any of you can too" I think he could be an inspiration for kids. ;)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT are not cheap oh well My guess he will make a boatload of money one way or another. I doubt he cares what the broncos did.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what is left from our draft class from 2017-Von Miller years.

2017- 2 (Bolles, Walker)
2016- 1 (Simmons)
2015- 1 (Heurman) Will be 0 soon
2014-0
2013- 0
2012- 0
2011- 1 (Miller)

In fairness, the 2012 draft did have 5 players on our last Super Bowl team that made an impact in some sort of way (If you consider Hillman making an impact, which I really don't, but he was at least in uniform)

2012- on back later really wasn't bad, had some impactful players, just getting to the year of 3rd contracts winding down their career, and moving on, etc.

But that timeframe from 2017-2013 brutal... Lets hope that changes because I have really liked our last 3 drafts.