• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos acquire Mark Sanchez from Philly

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep blows.

He'll be perfect for Cleveland. Till they decide to draft some other guy in a year, who will also blow.

Manning was 38? Or did he not qualify?
I think he was actually higher, but regardless of how you differentiate them (YPA, INT%, sack rate, etc) I don't think the needle moves meaningfully one way or the other. Probably a quality backup QB, however.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was actually higher, but regardless of how you differentiate them (YPA, INT%, sack rate, etc) I don't think the needle moves meaningfully one way or the other.
I'm not exactly viewing Sanchez as a game changer. But he allows for more diversity in play calling. Which isn't saying much really. Manning had no arm left.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely... They want to upgrade to a solid starter, or player with potential to be that. Peyton probably was the worst starter in the league last year. His QBR was one of the lowest. Sanchez's QBR last year was lower though.
We can just blame Chip.

Sanchez will do well in Denver imo.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not exactly viewing Sanchez as a game changer. But he allows for more diversity in play calling. Which isn't saying much really. Manning had no arm left.
More flexible, perhaps. More productive? Not significantly better or worse one way or the other.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More flexible, perhaps. More productive? Not significantly better or worse one way or the other.
There is a chance of routes 20-25+ being attempted semi regularly now. I think that could be significant. Especially considering that more points will need to be scored than last season, most likely.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance of routes 20-25+ being attempted semi regularly now. I think that could be significant. Especially considering that more points will need to be scored than last season, most likely.
With Sanchez' history, that's just asking for an interception. And even if he had such a history, that OL is in no shape to provide such protection. Osweiler was pushing a 10% sack rate during his starts- that's horrifically bad; albeit that may be as much a commentary of Osweiler's awareness. I am really not seeing it with Sanchez. Not every play is going to be a bootleg.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know... Sanchez has always been really bad under center (def a shotgun QB) and throwing downfield has been a big weakness for him (never had a strong arm). Lately I think he's looked better with Chip in that he throws short a lot, but he had a lot of 3rd and 10's where he picks up 6 yards on a short throw. Plus he puts the football on the ground a LOT.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's some things he does well, he does show up in big moments more often than he should. He's great to have in the short dump stuff (equally awful when he needs to throw deep. Lets just say 3rd and 4+ yards is where he can battle for worst in the NFL (of the 60 or so QB's since he was drafted with at least 150 3rd down attempts in 3rd and 4 or more, his QB rating is last in that situation at 61.8). He looks accurate on the close and even some intermediate stuff, just so far from what I've seen you don't want him under center or throwing the deep ball, or being your QB on 3rd down.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Sanchez' history, that's just asking for an interception. And even if he had such a history, that OL is in no shape to provide such protection. Osweiler was pushing a 10% sack rate during his starts- that's horrifically bad; albeit that may be as much a commentary of Osweiler's awareness. I am really not seeing it with Sanchez. Not every play is going to be a bootleg.

Denver probably had one of the worst O-Lines last year which led to a lot of unnecessary sacks, they wont be great this year but they'll be a lot better. Plus Sanchez is more mobile than Brock even if he's not that great so there's that.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are assuming the OL will be exactly the same. Right now it is looking like Paradis is the only starter for all the games that will be back on that OL. They are getting Ryan Clady and Ty Sambrailo back. They have added depth. Garcia who played almost as much as the starters at Guard will now be a full time starter. Throw in we are still only 1 actual week into FA so no telling who else they still add. So to assume the OL will be exactly like they were last year is not looking at what is actually happening.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are assuming the OL will be exactly the same. Right now it is looking like Paradis is the only starter for all the games that will be back on that OL. They are getting Ryan Clady and Ty Sambrailo back. They have added depth. Garcia who played almost as much as the starters at Guard will now be a full time starter. Throw in we are still only 1 actual week into FA so no telling who else they still add. So to assume the OL will be exactly like they were last year is not looking at what is actually happening.
Even legitimately good protection (let's be optimistic for a second and pin the sack rate almost solely on Osweiler) isn't going to be good enough for Sanchez as evidenced by his tenure with the Jets and Eagles. I tend to think Elway realizes that and has been touching base with Kaep and Fitzpatrick. Who knows what happens, but I am not exactly seeing the great wall of Denver being erected any time soon either.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver probably had one of the worst O-Lines last year which led to a lot of unnecessary sacks, they wont be great this year but they'll be a lot better. Plus Sanchez is more mobile than Brock even if he's not that great so there's that.
I'd personally agree, though respected sources seem to disagree as to which degree it was subpar. PFF had them in the low 20's in both pass and run blocking, iirc.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even legitimately good protection (let's be optimistic for a second and pin the sack rate almost solely on Osweiler) isn't going to be good enough for Sanchez as evidenced by his tenure with the Jets and Eagles. I tend to think Elway realizes that and has been touching base with Kaep and Fitzpatrick. Who knows what happens, but I am not exactly seeing the great wall of Denver being erected any time soon either.

Oh I agree I was more just arguing going off of last year's results to try and say how a team will do this year. That is like using Strength of Schedule going off of last year's results to try and show who has the toughest schedule when the NFL has some of the biggest turnover of playoff teams every single year.

As for the sack rate yes our OL stunk big time but it was Osweiler as well. He tried to make plays that just were not there. Heck there were times he was out of the pocket and could easily just throw it away and instead decided to take a sack. So at least to me I would put equal blame across the board on that one. More than anything else though my guess is the Broncos will try to run it more this year and are working to build a better Run Blocking OL than a pass blocking OL. Sacks will go down because teams have to focus so much more on stopping the run game and won't be able to pin their ears back as much.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Sanchez is saying he wants the starting job! :eek:
If he was half as good as he thinks he is this would be the greatest signing of all time...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want to see them better, not actually just say they are. The've let their two best pass blockers go already... They are getting back that rookie tackle who was a turnstyle on offense last year. Still no word if Clady will take a pay cut to stay or how he's recovering from his 2nd season ending injury in 3 years.

As for Sanchez being more mobile than Brock... You obviously haven't been watching Sanchez have you? That was one of the things we hated about him in Philly. Bradford and Foles looked elusive beside him. No... Brock is by far more mobile.

Foles at QB 2.8% sack Rate. Sanchez same year? 6.9%.
Last year Bradford 5%, Sanchez 9% (higher sack rate in philly behind a better pass blocking line)

Following Peyton is tough. The guy has arguably the best pocket presence of all time (Him or Marino). Bradford and Foles are not that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see them better, not actually just say they are. The've let their two best pass blockers go already... They are getting back that rookie tackle who was a turnstyle on offense last year. Still no word if Clady will take a pay cut to stay or how he's recovering from his 2nd season ending injury in 3 years.

As for Sanchez being more mobile than Brock... You obviously haven't been watching Sanchez have you? That was one of the things we hated about him in Philly. Bradford and Foles looked elusive beside him. No... Brock is by far more mobile.

Foles at QB 2.8% sack Rate. Sanchez same year? 6.9%.
Last year Bradford 5%, Sanchez 9% (higher sack rate in philly behind a better pass blocking line)

Following Peyton is tough. The guy has arguably the best pocket presence of all time (Him or Marino). Bradford and Foles are not that.

Not sure you watched much Brock then if you think he is mobile. About every time he tries to take off running he trips himself. He is about the most awkward runner I have ever seen at the QB position.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure you watched much Brock then if you think he is mobile. About every time he tries to take off running he trips himself. He is about the most awkward runner I have ever seen at the QB position.

Watched every snap of every game last year actually. Not calling him mobile, just more mobile than Sanchez... And if we are talking about looking dumb when trying to run...

Brock is quicker on his feet than Sanchez. He takes fewer sacks behind a worse pass blocking line. He may look more awkward doing that, but mobility is one of Sanchez's weaknesses. It's like saying "well at least we have a strong arm now" post-Peyton and picking up Pennington or Sanchez or some other weak armed QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched every snap of every game last year actually. Not calling him mobile, just more mobile than Sanchez... And if we are talking about looking dumb when trying to run...

Brock is quicker on his feet than Sanchez. He takes fewer sacks behind a worse pass blocking line. He may look more awkward doing that, but mobility is one of Sanchez's weaknesses. It's like saying "well at least we have a strong arm now" post-Peyton and picking up Pennington or Sanchez or some other weak armed QB.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Osweiler was more mobile than Peyton but that isn't saying much. He took so many sacks that were unnecessary. He made our OL look much worse than they were even though they were bad. I don't know how often I yelled at the tv for him to throw it away but nope he thought his running skills were more than they are. Worked in college some but in the pros not even close.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Osweiler was more mobile than Peyton but that isn't saying much. He took so many sacks that were unnecessary. He made our OL look much worse than they were even though they were bad. I don't know how often I yelled at the tv for him to throw it away but nope he thought his running skills were more than they are. Worked in college some but in the pros not even close.

Ok, it is funny reading that though, because my thoughts on Sanchez the past couple years have been identical.