• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos acquire Mark Sanchez from Philly

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver was in a no lose situation here, either Sanchez played great and became the starter or he didn't and Denver isn't out anything.

With Philly not even keeping the draft pick it was just a salary dump for them but they still get nothing in return which makes me wonder how Elway was able to pull that off. "You let us rent Sanchez to see if we like him and if not you get nothing", seems really strange to me.

Both teams were really in a no lose. Nobody would be paying for Sanchez unless there was a good likelihood he was their starter at his cost. Denver was really the only team to fit that bill this off-season. Philly saves 1mil of cap space over cutting him (he wasn't going to be there once Daniel was signed) if they find any trade partner. Denver only loses a pick if he stays on the roster and doesn't have to guarantee him anything (lose 1mil cap space if they cut him). Mutually beneficial move.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is truly an embarrassment for Sanchez to lose his job to a 7th round pick from the 2015 draft. His career should be done IMO

I think someone will add him at a lower price to be a 2nd string if not before the start of the season, after for sure when his deal isn't guaranteed. Heck maybe even Denver bringing him back after week 1 as a 3rd QB on a league min deal.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams were really in a no lose. Nobody would be paying for Sanchez unless there was a good likelihood he was their starter at his cost. Denver was really the only team to fit that bill this off-season. Philly saves 1mil of cap space over cutting him (he wasn't going to be there once Daniel was signed) if they find any trade partner. Denver only loses a pick if he stays on the roster and doesn't have to guarantee him anything (lose 1mil cap space if they cut him). Mutually beneficial move.

Even more than that though for the Broncos is say another team does sign him for $1 million this year. The Broncos owe him nothing as he has that whole "if another team pays him language" in his contract with the Broncos. So the Broncos could save the entire $4.5 million if another team takes him.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more than that though for the Broncos is say another team does sign him for $1 million this year. The Broncos owe him nothing as he has that whole "if another team pays him language" in his contract with the Broncos. So the Broncos could save the entire $4.5 million if another team takes him.

Nice, so does that work if they release him, no one picks him up and they take him back after the season starts? Where they could essentially pay him a million bucks and while it is 1 mil more in cash expenditures it is a zero dollar cap hit?

And sorry, I saw you wrote basically the same exact thing as me while I was typing on the previous post. lol.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, so does that work if they release him, no one picks him up and they take him back after the season starts? Where they could essentially pay him a million bucks and while it is 1 mil more in cash expenditures it is a zero dollar cap hit?

And sorry, I saw you wrote basically the same exact thing as me while I was typing on the previous post. lol.

I think they need him to be signed before the season starts for it to help out with that $1 million cap hit. Even if they get hit with that though no big deal in today's NFL especially at the QB position. If they go into the season with Lynch and Siemian my guess is they will have the lowest QB hit of any team in the NFL by quite a bit.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need him to be signed before the season starts for it to help out with that $1 million cap hit. Even if they get hit with that though no big deal in today's NFL especially at the QB position. If they go into the season with Lynch and Siemian my guess is they will have the lowest QB hit of any team in the NFL by quite a bit.

I see... That might be tough to get, but maybe Dallas or someone will have that immediate need. If you can get through week 1 with what you have you can sign him and if things aren't working out, send him packing and his salary/cap hit isn't a full years worth.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see... That might be tough to get, but maybe Dallas or someone will have that immediate need. If you can get through week 1 with what you have you can sign him and if things aren't working out, send him packing and his salary/cap hit isn't a full years worth.

Yeah I am hoping that Dallas really looks hard at him with so little experience at the position. There have been some quiet rumors that Dallas might even trade for him. So maybe the Broncos get back their 7th round pick and gain another 7th round pick plus keep all $4.5 million in salary. That might be wishful thinking to have it all work out that well.

The other option for the Broncos is just go ahead and ask Sanchez to take a major pay cut. Guarantees him a roster spot this year on a team and helps the Broncos cap wise. Yes they lose the 7th round pick but in the grand scheme of things not a big deal. Or like you said cut him now, get the 7th round pick back, take the chance your QB's will stay healthy enough to make it through one game, then bring him back at a very reduced price.

Lot's of ways this could go. I do know after the game though he got out of town pretty quick and the media could tell on his face that he knows that his time in Denver is most likely over. Honestly I think the guy is a stand up guy and I hope he lands somewhere. He is great in the community, great with the media, great with the fans, and at times can look like a competent QB. Teams could do a lot worse than Sanchez for a 3rd string type QB.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver was in a no lose situation here, either Sanchez played great and became the starter or he didn't and Denver isn't out anything.

With Philly not even keeping the draft pick it was just a salary dump for them but they still get nothing in return which makes me wonder how Elway was able to pull that off. "You let us rent Sanchez to see if we like him and if not you get nothing", seems really strange to me.
They knew he sucked.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I hoped we'd at least get a 7th rounder for the Sanchize. Elway is too smart for that though, he knows he could pick up a better QB off the corner in LoDo somewhere.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver was in a no lose situation here

Being in a no lose situation doesn't really help if it's also a no win situation. It's Mark Sanchez that we're talking about here.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Sanchez seems to be the QB equivalent of Jeff Fisher. Actually...do the Rams need a QB? Those two would make a fantastic pair.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, tough break for the Vikings, but I'm with some of ya'll--I'd rather have Shaun Hill than Sanchez.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Sanchez seems to be the QB equivalent of Jeff Fisher. Actually...do the Rams need a QB? Those two would make a fantastic pair.

Rams already have 3 that are better.