• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2017 NFL Draft

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the McCaffrey conundrum.

McCaffrey can lineup in the backfield, wide out or in the slot. You can build an offense around his skill set. He would be amazing with a team committed to the no-huddle offense - as his offense can break the huddle and the defense has to account for how to cover him - based on where he lines up. Since the defense has to account for him - he is also a darn good decoy. CMac can also return punts and KOs - his 3 cone drill numbers are unusually low - which means he can cut on a dime. He can also block. I really like his game.

Here's the problem - if you build an offense around CMac - what does the offense do when CMack gets hurt? Maximizing his game - puts him at risk for injury. If you build an offense around CMack - you have to get a credible replacement in place for CMack - someone with similar skills who can provide a true replacement for the offense - if McCaffrey is out. That is further out on the ledge than most GM's are willing to go.

The Alternative is to draft CMack and turn him into a potential top 5 slot receiver - who occasional gets the ball in end arounds or tosses a pass. That is not bad production either, but not taking the full value of what CMack can do on the field - so not a worthy of a higher pick.

Did SD design an offense around wood head in 2015? I would say no. I'm looking for TDs more
Yards. One game Cmac could carry the ball 20 times the next game 5 with 8 receptions.
I would hope the offense would morph each game based on the opponent and then use Cmac accordingly.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did SD design an offense around wood head in 2015? I would say no. I'm looking for TDs more
Yards. One game Cmac could carry the ball 20 times the next game 5 with 8 receptions.
I would hope the offense would morph each game based on the opponent and then use Cmac accordingly.

Good point Chris. I love CMac's game - what I was pointing out that to take him at 20 - you should maximize using him to get full value. I'm aboard though on the thought that McCoy is a genius at setting up the offense to maximize the talent. It will be interesting to see if McCoy his less conservative a game caller - without John Fox havng a check on him.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point Chris. I love CMac's game - what I was pointing out that to take him at 20 - you should maximize using him to get full value. I'm aboard though on the thought that McCoy is a genius at setting up the offense to maximize the talent. It will be interesting to see if McCoy his less conservative a game caller - without John Fox havng a check on him.

Looking back would Darren Sproles be worth #20? How about bush #20?
I would say yes but christan won't be there at #20

Denver needs alot on offense but a playmaker may be #1 out of the draft.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always present both sides which is nice way to look at things

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back would Darren Sproles be worth #20? How about bush #20?
I would say yes but christan won't be there at #20

Denver needs alot on offense but a playmaker may be #1 out of the draft.

Answer yes - those guys were worth a #20 slot in retrospect. However, not every 1st round top of the Draft QB turns out to be John Elway. A precedent is only informing if it was strong enough to establish a trend.

I am no draft expert like the ones I deal with on this forum. It is incredible the amount of scrutiny the draft gets from NFL and college fans - and the burgeoning amount of information available on the internets. I like the discussion, but don't feel all that surefooted in making guesses or providing advice.

One thing for sure - based on my past practices - whoever the Broncos draft - I will research them and come up with (in the vast majority of cases) rosey predictions for their achievement - and then go on to opine on how smart the Broncos were in making the picks that they did. It is my nature playing out again and again.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My current mock (im gonna do one more before draft with a full writeup for Mile High Huddle before draft happens). I think reasonable values for each and fills needs as well as one could hope.

1. Cam Robinson OT Alabama
2. Curtis Samuel WR/RB/OW/Returner OSU
3. Eddie Jackson S/CB/Returner Alabama
3. Gerald Everett TE/WR South Alabama
4. Naz Jones DT/DE UNC
5. Jerod Evans QB Virginia Tech
6. Aaron Jones RB UTEP
7. Jehu Chesson WR Michigan
7. Grover Stewart DT/NT Albany State
7. Brandon Bell ILB Penn State
Overall quality draft. However there is a potential both top picks will contribute little in 17
Samuels has mad skills but his routes are horrible and needs a lot of work
Is Robinson good enough to start if he is not the LT right away?

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall quality draft. However there is a potential both top picks will contribute little in 17
Samuels has mad skills but his routes are horrible and needs a lot of work
Is Robinson good enough to start if he is not the LT right away?

robinson can start at 4 positions imo. Better run blocker and upside than either DS or TS and if not, an amazing RG (pushing Garcia to depth).

And samuel can be slot/gadget/returner. Not too worried about him. His routes do need work but a lot of times he was just asked to be an athlete, and as one of the youngest prospects in the draft, has time to develop into something great imo. Will need work but as option 3 in a pass game won't be relied on too heavily year 1. Just needs to be a threat honest to God because his speed and open field ability alone makes safeties and Lbs and corners take notice and should open things up outside and in the run game. Also can come out as RB and flex out ala the Pats style and create mismatches. He may not be a great route runner yet, but put him up against an LB not named Kuechly and his athleticism alone is going to create huge problems.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys got the draft solved - did you? Hey it's the fourth quarter - time to step on the gas. I'm just getting interested.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering, Pretty much watch NFL Live, Path to draft, etc every day and see all these potential draft picks visiting all these teams but never catch anyone visiting Broncos. Any news on who Denver has invited or what pro days they went to? Denver seems pretty quiet on that front last few weeks. Maybe I'm just missing posts and updates.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering, Pretty much watch NFL Live, Path to draft, etc every day and see all these potential draft picks visiting all these teams but never catch anyone visiting Broncos. Any news on who Denver has invited or what pro days they went to? Denver seems pretty quiet on that front last few weeks. Maybe I'm just missing posts and updates.
Cam Robinson tomorrow

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broncos Draft Interest Tracker

I check this out from time to time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is actually the 2nd private work out the Broncos have brought Cam Robinson in for. They also interviewed him at the Combine but said that was mostly just to talk about his gun/drug issue to see if that was in the past or a future problem. So now bringing him in to answer all the other questions about his game.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is actually the 2nd private work out the Broncos have brought Cam Robinson in for. They also interviewed him at the Combine but said that was mostly just to talk about his gun/drug issue to see if that was in the past or a future problem. So now bringing him in to answer all the other questions about his game.
character and intelligence

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
character and intelligence

Problem is if he answers those questions for us he has probably done the same for other teams which means he goes well before our pick. My guess is he is the one OT the Broncos are thinking might be worth trading up for.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is if he answers those questions for us he has probably done the same for other teams which means he goes well before our pick. My guess is he is the one OT the Broncos are thinking might be worth trading up for.

So here is where I'm more cynical than Carl - I think the Broncos interest is so someone else drafts him and the Bronco's OT is there at 20. However, I still think the Broncos will likely trade out of the first round with Cleveland for additional picks.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver will meet with TJ Watt April 18

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd McShay released a 3 round mock today... for denver he had
1. Cameron Robinson
2. Curtis Samuel
3. Kendall Beckwith (too high for my taste...)
3c. Carl Lawson (he will go at latest mid round 2 imo...)

Those top two picks look good to me tho ;)