• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2017 NFL Draft

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact of the NFL Draft is the players from 20 on down through the mid 2nd round are not that much different in terms of athletic ability. I bet there are as many starters drafted 33-48 as 20-32. Foster was a panic move by Shanahan and many on here feel that an OT drafted at 20 would be a panic move by Elway as well.

The good news is there will be an objective outcome to #20 right or wrong if a OT is drafted. Not having a veteran LT to start this year is the real issue at the moment. I guess King Dunlap who McCoy knows well is not the answer. Denver is probably still working trade scenarios.

Well the nice thing we know with Elway is that he doesn't usually panic when it comes to offseason work. He has plans and when those don't work he has back up plans in place. So yeah the LT spot there are still some options. Right now the one that seems to be catching some steam is that of Jason Peters of the Eagles. There is talk they plan on cutting him after the draft if nobody gives them a good enough offer. So I would be shocked if Elway hasn't called them about what it would take and maybe give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to have that position figured out before the draft.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why McCaffrey is getting so much love and there is 0 first round Curtis Samuel buzz

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why McCaffrey is getting so much love and there is 0 first round Curtis Samuel buzz

I would ask if Mac played on OSU this year would he be the bell cow or have the same workload as Samuel. I vote bell cow. That to me is the difference. For reasons unknown to the public , CS had the workload he had.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would ask if Mac played on OSU this year would he be the bell cow or have the same workload as Samuel. I vote bell cow. That to me is the difference. For reasons unknown to the public , CS had the workload he had.

McCaffrey won't be a bellcow in the NFL not no way not no how.
McCaffrey is pry better than Samuel overall
But
Samuel at round 2 value >>>>> McCaffrey round 1 value

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But
I was talking about college bell cow and if Mac was on OSU he would not been used like Samuel.

I hate value. That is a draft media term. I want football players and production. Time will tell. Booker by all draft media was excellent value and he basically gave us zero production last year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about college bell cow and if Mac was on OSU he would not been used like Samuel.

I hate value. That is a draft media term. I want football players and production. Time will tell. Booker by all draft media was excellent value and he basically gave us zero production last year.

Teams that go in leaning on rookies to be big contributors don't usually fare well in the NFL.

The draft in 2015 when we won the Super Bowl Max Garcia and Shane Ray were the only 2 guys to give us any kind of real production and that was mostly in a back up capacity. Both are expected to be big parts of this upcoming season.

And yes to me teams have to look at more than just how good a football player is. Such as with McCaffrey he is a good player. Are there others though that offer a very similar skill set to him in this draft? The answer is yes to that.

Are there other guys in this draft that offer a similar skill set and ability like that of Robinson. No. So to me if I have Robinson and McCaffrey as a GM rated very closely in talent I am taking Robinson because I think I can get somebody of similar ability later in the draft that can do what McCaffrey does.

jdlewis777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft reminds me of the year we took Kenny Kennedy and Ian gold got cooper Carlisle in rd 4 and mike anderson in rd 6. Productive starters. Even Chris cole wr wasn't as bad as we remember as he was actually a pretty good special teamer.

If we stick to the strengths of this draft we could get 4 starters out of it ... cb, te, pass rusher and rb would be pretty plausible,... not necessarily sexy, but our spot at 20 is basically no mans land after the OT have failed to distinguish themselves qbs sliding and Sidney Jones getting injured. I'd love to trade down but everyone else is looking to do the same. I can tell you from Phx that cards are intent on trading down ... want 3rd rd pick and looking for 18-22 pick range but 3rd isn't enough historically for that... just what the chatter is... unfortunately there are no qb starved teams directly behind us. In a deep draft I think teams want picks and trading back will not get you a whole lot but I'd much rather pick around 28 based on current projections... some very good late 1st pass rushers and very good cb group 1-3 rds. Tes good in that range as well .

Guys I loved Adams, Davis, fournette, jones, cook... I like Barnett and lamp (OG) as well and I brought up Redding as a stud 2nd rd pick here a longtime ago... now he is projecting top 15 ... crazy... the elite von Miller esque layers seem to be missing a bit at the the top in critical positions, but the depth so good. Not sure what we can do from our current spot but there will be a run on qbs just not at the top... so maybe despite the lack of qb needy teams we can get lucky and have it start around our pick. 25 is really the trigger as I suspect 2nd rd teams will try to trade up to land their guys and get the 5th yr with these project qbs.

The browns make some sense on a lot of levels... maybe joe Thomas and 33 to land 20 and a mid rd pick. Any qb will be a project and by the time he is ready Thomas could be 36 ... so maybe the sabermetric guys in CLE are looking to do some draft day deal

jdlewis777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Kenoy dang iPad autocorrect

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would move to Arizona's pick if J Adams or R Foster is there and give up whatever it takes

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft reminds me of the year we took Kenny Kennedy and Ian gold got cooper Carlisle in rd 4 and mike anderson in rd 6. Productive starters. Even Chris cole wr wasn't as bad as we remember as he was actually a pretty good special teamer.

If we stick to the strengths of this draft we could get 4 starters out of it ... cb, te, pass rusher and rb would be pretty plausible,... not necessarily sexy, but our spot at 20 is basically no mans land after the OT have failed to distinguish themselves qbs sliding and Sidney Jones getting injured. I'd love to trade down but everyone else is looking to do the same. I can tell you from Phx that cards are intent on trading down ... want 3rd rd pick and looking for 18-22 pick range but 3rd isn't enough historically for that... just what the chatter is... unfortunately there are no qb starved teams directly behind us. In a deep draft I think teams want picks and trading back will not get you a whole lot but I'd much rather pick around 28 based on current projections... some very good late 1st pass rushers and very good cb group 1-3 rds. Tes good in that range as well .

Guys I loved Adams, Davis, fournette, jones, cook... I like Barnett and lamp (OG) as well and I brought up Redding as a stud 2nd rd pick here a longtime ago... now he is projecting top 15 ... crazy... the elite von Miller esque layers seem to be missing a bit at the the top in critical positions, but the depth so good. Not sure what we can do from our current spot but there will be a run on qbs just not at the top... so maybe despite the lack of qb needy teams we can get lucky and have it start around our pick. 25 is really the trigger as I suspect 2nd rd teams will try to trade up to land their guys and get the 5th yr with these project qbs.

The browns make some sense on a lot of levels... maybe joe Thomas and 33 to land 20 and a mid rd pick. Any qb will be a project and by the time he is ready Thomas could be 36 ... so maybe the sabermetric guys in CLE are looking to do some draft day deal

Clev could do a deal. What happens if Clev trades for Jimmy G? Now the QBs drop one spot more.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its sounding more and more likely that teams top of round 2 are going to be trying to trade into the 20s to nab a qb... so that could be interesting.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My current mock (im gonna do one more before draft with a full writeup for Mile High Huddle before draft happens). I think reasonable values for each and fills needs as well as one could hope.

1. Cam Robinson OT Alabama
2. Curtis Samuel WR/RB/OW/Returner OSU
3. Eddie Jackson S/CB/Returner Alabama
3. Gerald Everett TE/WR South Alabama
4. Naz Jones DT/DE UNC
5. Jerod Evans QB Virginia Tech
6. Aaron Jones RB UTEP
7. Jehu Chesson WR Michigan
7. Grover Stewart DT/NT Albany State
7. Brandon Bell ILB Penn State

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its sounding more and more likely that teams top of round 2 are going to be trying to trade into the 20s to nab a qb... so that could be interesting.

That seems very common of years past too. Seems to be a trend since I have followed the draft at my ripe age of 2nd grade.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My current mock (im gonna do one more before draft with a full writeup for Mile High Huddle before draft happens). I think reasonable values for each and fills needs as well as one could hope.

4. Naz Jones DT/DE UNC
6. Aaron Jones RB UTEP

LOVE THIS! Every pick here gets me riled up cept maybe Stewart. Fine with him just not a back flip.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4. Naz Jones DT/DE UNC
6. Aaron Jones RB UTEP
I think Gerald Everett is more of a mid to late 2nd rounder but I've seen him all over the place. He is actually my #2 TE for whatever thats worth.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he could probably stick him in the first 3rd round pick and get away with it. But then that would take Eddie Jackson away.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets are reportedly hell bent on trading Richardson. T Jernigan set the price, Elway should pull the trigger

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah after the Timmy Jernigan trade it appears it is coming.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But

I love the McCaffrey conundrum.

McCaffrey can lineup in the backfield, wide out or in the slot. You can build an offense around his skill set. He would be amazing with a team committed to the no-huddle offense - as his offense can break the huddle and the defense has to account for how to cover him - based on where he lines up. Since the defense has to account for him - he is also a darn good decoy. CMac can also return punts and KOs - his 3 cone drill numbers are unusually low - which means he can cut on a dime. He can also block. I really like his game.

Here's the problem - if you build an offense around CMac - what does the offense do when CMack gets hurt? Maximizing his game - puts him at risk for injury. If you build an offense around CMack - you have to get a credible replacement in place for CMack - someone with similar skills who can provide a true replacement for the offense - if McCaffrey is out. That is further out on the ledge than most GM's are willing to go.

The Alternative is to draft CMack and turn him into a potential top 5 slot receiver - who occasional gets the ball in end arounds or tosses a pass. That is not bad production either, but not taking the full value of what CMack can do on the field - so not a worthy of a higher pick.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the McCaffrey conundrum.

McCaffrey can lineup in the backfield, wide out or in the slot. You can build an offense around his skill set. He would be amazing with a team committed to the no-huddle offense - as his offense can break the huddle and the defense has to account for how to cover him - based on where he lines up. Since the defense has to account for him - he is also a darn good decoy. CMac can also return punts and KOs - his 3 cone drill numbers are unusually low - which means he can cut on a dime. He can also block. I really like his game.

Here's the problem - if you build an offense around CMac - what does the offense do when CMack gets hurt? Maximizing his game - puts him at risk for injury. If you build an offense around CMack - you have to get a credible replacement in place for CMack - someone with similar skills who can provide a true replacement for the offense - if McCaffrey is out. That is further out on the ledge than most GM's are willing to go.

The Alternative is to draft CMack and turn him into a potential top 5 slot receiver - who occasional gets the ball in end arounds or tosses a pass. That is not bad production either, but not taking the full value of what CMack can do on the field - so not a worthy of a higher pick.

Something to add to this or continue one of your thoughts. CMac this past year started breaking down. Stanford unfortunately ran him into the ground. He was their only weapon on offense and while he still put up good numbers he just didn't quite have the explosion of the year before. Have to wonder is that a trend in the wrong direction or can he continue to get that 20-25 touches a game that you want from a player like him? I like CMac and I think he can be a great weapon. I do think his rookie year whoever drafts him needs to be a bit cautious. Maybe give him his rookie year to heal up just a bit and work to get him closer to 10-15 touches a game.