• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2016 Draft

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo, I am tellin ya..

Devontae Booker... :)

But may fall between our picks so we will see.

I do like Josh Ferguson a bit later on as a depth RB. He is an upgrade over Ronnie Hillman. I also like Cyandie's idea of Peyton Barber late the more I look into him. I thought the kid was stupid for declaring for the draft as he was coming off a nice year and could have gone much higher last year, then I heard his family is homeless so not gonna judge him.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to do a weekly mock as well with each pick and a little write up on each guy and why I think they make sense. I use the CBS, Walterfootball, drafttek, and mocks from around the webs to gage where guy's value are. Here is one from last Wednesday that I did (before the Okung signing). I will likely to another one by Thursday updated based on board movement and change of needs (because Okung). Let me know what you think.

1. Germain Ifedi, OT/OG, Texas A&M
Probably the highest potential outside of Tunsil given his size, speed, power combo. Super long arms, and Denver has been linked to him multiple times so far in this draft process. Very raw... but huge ceiling. If we were interested and even tried to trade up for Ogbuhi last draft (and we were linked with him before the draft as well) I really can see this happening. Each passing day also makes it seem like Clady will be gone. Ifedi at worst is a high upside RT but has potential to be a very good LT.

2. Chris Jones, DE/DT, Mississippi St
Probably my favorite defensive lineman in this class given where they are being projected. PFF has him as a top interior pass rusher in the SEC (only behind Buckner nationally), and a top ten talent in this draft. Love the size, strength, length, and explosion. If properly coached, could be a top 5 5 tech in the NFL in 3-4 years.

3. Connor McGovern, OG/OC, Missouri
Athletic, smart, versatile, and an immediate starter. Not sure if he sticks his value around here or rises closer to draft day like Morse did last year. Killed it in all drills at the combine and shows fluidity in blocking. Would love him in Denver.

3c. Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi St
Developmental QB. If we don't like what we see, we can always go QB early next year, but I think Dak has what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL. Needs to develop under center. That said, Dak has made tremendous strides over the past year, has great intangibles despite the DUI (his teammates will go to war for this guy) and has solid trajectory if given a year to develop.

4c. Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky
My favorite TE in this class. Size, speed, strength, and a beast in the red zone. If he hadn't been injured (injuries are a concern) and run the combine drills, we would be talking a mid 2nd talent. Still a raw blocker, but as close to gronk as any TE in this class... I see Eifert but with MUCH bigger hands. With us losing Davis and Daniels, another tight end is needed to compete with Green and Heuererman and none in this class have the potential that Higbee has.

5. Justin Simmons, S, Boston College
A great player on a bad team. Justin Simmons has size, length, and short area quickness. A perfect over the top zone cover safety who can play Bruton's 3rd S role this year, some special teams, and a potential starter in the future. Had some of the best combine scores in short area burst, and a guy moving on up. Had one of the highest SPARQ ratings in the combine.

6c. Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia
We have great corners, true, but its smart to add depth. Roby is coming up on a pay day, and Talib isn't getting any younger. Worley has been burnt a few times throughout his career, but he has size, tenacity, and athleticism needed to be put on an island. Could develop into a very solid boundary cornerback

7i. Joel Heath, DE/DT, Michigan St
If it weren't for the depth of this draft, Heath would go sooner. He showed tremendous athleticism at the combine and has the body type to be a solid 5 tech. Did not put up many stats while at state, but Heath the athlete is worth nabbing here and attempting to develop

7ii. Peyton Barber, RB, Auburn
Did CJ Anderson get cloned? Short, squaty, runs smart but will lower his shoulder, and shifty behind the LOS. Kid is durable too. Will likely never be a great running back, but can come into camp this year, learn, and eat carries while netting us solid ypc.

7iii. Jakeem Grant, KR/PR/WR, Texas Tech
Speed kills as they say. Nobody in the league is as fast Grant (well almost no one) and due to his diminutive size, he will fall in drafts. However, coming in for trick plays and returning punts and kicks is something he could come in and do right away. Hopefully holds onto the ball better than holliday did, but this late in the draft, a dynamite returner is worth a chance.

Glad someone finally gave Worley some love around here. Guy can play CB or S, is physical. Great tools. Still very raw. Does have some off field concerns though. Nearly got kicked off WV for beating up his GF. But he hasn't repeat his mistake so I am willing to take a flyer on him.

Jakeem drops the ball a lot and fumbled a bit like Trindon Holliday did, but he is so dangerous with the ball in the open field. Round 7 for him and Barber? Sign me up! Love Higbee as you know and Dak. Chris Jones grew on me a lot during the combine as I like him.

Ifedi doesn't light my hair on fire for a first rd pick, but other then Von it seems like most early Texas A&M prospects haven't the last 5 years or so, but he makes sense for us. I like him better then I liked Ogbughi last year and Damontre Moore the year before (Giants DE).

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc, I need some selling on Ifedi .. As a OT, I see him being eaten alive by edge rushers .. I don't like the chaotic element he brings, the back peddling and footwork as if he's stepping on hot coals ... He looks overpowered and overwhelmed at times ..

I don't like him on day one

Its all about projection baby. He isn't there on tape but the athlete is there and Denver has been linked to him repeatedly. With Okung deal likely a one year thing, drafting an athletic freak to develop (like ogebuhi last year) makes sense. I don't love him, but denver and seattle have been linked to him repeatedly and I understand the need and reason. Guys with those measurables don't come around often. Also that 5th year option is huge (for round 1)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all about projection baby. He isn't there on tape but the athlete is there and Denver has been linked to him repeatedly. With Okung deal likely a one year thing, drafting an athletic freak to develop (like ogebuhi last year) makes sense. I don't love him, but denver and seattle have been linked to him repeatedly and I understand the need and reason. Guys with those measurables don't come around often. Also that 5th year option is huge (for round 1)

that 5th year option is especially important for a guy that is a developmental project that you are sitting for a year at the very least. I'll have to go and watch a few of his games. He would definitely be a huge risk but hey Elway has taken risk before and it has worked out well.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big "What did you do on tape" guy, sorta why I can never get fully into Ifedi and Clark, but am also willing to be hopeful as I see the tools.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo, I am tellin ya..

Devontae Booker... :)

But may fall between our picks so we will see.

I do like Josh Ferguson a bit later on as a depth RB. He is an upgrade over Ronnie Hillman. I also like Cyandie's idea of Peyton Barber late the more I look into him. I thought the kid was stupid for declaring for the draft as he was coming off a nice year and could have gone much higher last year, then I heard his family is homeless so not gonna judge him.

Thanks DC - I've seen Devontae Booker and I agree he is a player with complementary skills in pass receiving and running.

Peyton Barber - I am leery of, but he is very tough. I'm leery because there isn't much of a college playing sample - he is a little slow for a back, but I think he plays with reckless abandon -which may not be good for his health.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Peyton Barber doesn't light my world on fire. But as a late round pick I think it could be good value for our system.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big "What did you do on tape" guy, sorta why I can never get fully into Ifedi and Clark, but am also willing to be hopeful as I see the tools.

I would say for me I am a "What did you do on tape" for the early rounds as I want guys that have actually shown they know what they are doing on the field. The late rounds though I am willing to take a flier on an athlete that I hope can turn into a football player.

One guy I wouldn't mind with one of our 3rd round picks maybe taking a look at is C.J. Prosise. He fits that athlete that you hope you can turn into a good football player. He has the speed we could be missing with Hillman gone and offers more in the power category going up the middle. Notre Dame actually ran a somewhat similar zone stretch type running system where CJ was asked to put his foot in the ground and get up field. Needs some major work vision wise but he makes people miss and offers a great speed/power combination.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense CD. I feel the same way.

When it gets to later rounds. Whatever jumps at ya works for me. Tools, tape, what not. Early on.. I want productivity. For the guys that have the tools it just sorta depends on how much they showed. If they didn't show as much as so and so but were in a different situation then understandable.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubiak kind of gave light to what we are going to draft on OL .

Deep he has said over and over . late picks...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense CD. I feel the same way.

When it gets to later rounds. Whatever jumps at ya works for me. Tools, tape, what not. Early on.. I want productivity. For the guys that have the tools it just sorta depends on how much they showed. If they didn't show as much as so and so but were in a different situation then understandable.

Right I do understand situation plays into it. It is not all about the stats. I'm still torn though on what the Broncos are going to do in this draft. So many ways they can go especially with that 1st pick. Even with getting Okung I could see them go OL knowing they had 2 guys go down with injury and 2 others fight injuries the entire season. Not much depth right now behind the 5 starters. I could also see where they would rather Stephenson be a swing tackle than the starting RT for us. People talk about his contract but right now our OL is probably one of the cheapest in the entire league. Right now Cap Wise (minus Clady because good chance he is gone) our starting OL is costing us $11.2 million in cap space. For the entire 5 starters! Oakland's guy they just signed in Osemele is costing them $13.2 million in cap space this year alone. They have $29 million invested in their starting 5 for the OL. Now given that is where they have decided to invest heavily and that is fine but just goes to show the difference in price. Now I could do the same for how much our secondary is costing compared to theirs and well obviously ours would blow theirs away. Just a matter of how you decide to use your resources.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Cyanide Mock Draft 2.0
I will do these weekly from now until the draft every wednesday or thursday.
Let me know what you guys think. I try to mix it up with who we have been linked to, to who I like, to where I see these guys at valuewise across the draft.

1. Vernon Butler DE/NT Louisiana Tech
If there was an NFL draft version of “the mountain” in this draft, it would likely be Vernon. A small school prospect who still has room to grow as a player. Extremely long arms and a surprising athlete for his size. Comparisons to Linval Joseph aren’t unfounded. Still rather raw technique wise and needs to continue to work on leverage, but given Denver’s defensive coaches (specifically Kollar) I feel comfortable taking this guy feeling we are going to develop him to be the best he can be. Butler is also athletic enough to move from nose to 5 tech back to nose. Denver continues it’s recent tradition of early round trench players. Adding Butler also gives us insurance for Sly Williams in the next few years. Having an athlete at NT is important for Wade’s one gap 3-4.

2. Dak Prescott QB Mississippi St
A bit early? Even after the DUI? Nonsense. Denver is not done at QB yet… whether they bring in RG3 or Kaep to compete with Sanchez this season, development QB for 2017 or 2018 is needed. Dak has made tremendous strides the past few years as a passer. He understands how important the cerebral side of the game is and has progressed here greatly in just one season. Still needs a lot of work with his footwork and taking snaps under center as well as running an NFL offense, but by all accounts Dak understands this and has a hunger to be great. Denver is apparently in love with this kid, and I don’t blame them. I would love to get him round 3, but given how much Dallas and Pittsburgh appear to like this guy, if we want him, you have to take him round 2.

3. Nick Vannett TE Ohio St
Vannett is probably the best blocking tight end in this class. Size, strength, power, agility, Vannett displays them all. Given Denver currently only has Green and Huererman on the roster as viable TE options and how important the position is in Kubiak’s offense, if we don’t bring in a TE to compete this season in free agency (rumors say Daniels may be brought back) then I expect Elway to go TE earlier than people expect. Vannett could come in day 1 and compete to be a starter and a red zone weapon given his size and hands. Also, if Denver is going to be successful on offense going forward, it will be because of the ground game. So adding a run blocking beast can only help the offense. Didn't get much of a chance to show off what he can do as a receiver for Ohio State given their offense, but screams Kubiak TE and I think has a higher ceiling than Huererman as a blocker and red zone weapon.

3c. Connor McGovern OG Missouri
Denver appears to have some decent depth at tackle now that Okung and Stephenson have been signed (along with Sambrailo and… gulp… Schofield still on the roster) but we did lose both of our starting tackles this season. While I expect Garcia or Sambrailo to nab one of those starting guard positions, I also think Denver will add youth and talent to the interior. Enter Connor McGovern. McGovern is one of the better athletes at guard in this draft. Being moved from LT to G in the draft process, McGovern displays solid footwork and has above average arm length for a guard. He also scored extremely well in all the agility drills in the combine (a top SPARQ score for all offensive lineman) while displaying smoothness in the drills. A natural fit in the ZBS and could be a week 1 starter for us.

4c. Rashard Robinson CB LSU
Elway has 4 key positions. Quarterback, Left Tackle, Pass Rusher (I believe both edge and interior) and cornerback. Denver’s defense had one of the best pass rushes in football this past season, but this was due to a symbiotic relationship with a tremendously talented trio of corners. In order keep this defense strong; Denver needs to continue to find strong press man-to-man corners in the draft. Unfortunately, this draft really lacks depth at the corner position. Enter Rashard Robinson. Sure, the dude has baggage. And yes, he doesn’t “like school”, but the kid can play and if anyone can teach a corner with a checkered past how to get their life together, it’s Talib. Talib is getting older and very well may be cut in the next few years, so drafting a big, fast, strong, long, athletic press corner could be huge for Denver. The kid hasn’t played ball for two years, but is a top 20 talent in this draft.

5. Mike Thomas WR Southern Miss
Man, talk about a small school monster. Mike Thomas is one of my favorite wide receivers in this class and if he had a chance to go to the combine, he would be being raved about. Thomas is probably one of my favorite receivers on tape this season. Just look him up and see what I am talking about. Has size, speed, runs great routes, deceptive, and has that “my ball” mentality. Odds are emmanuel sanders walks after next season to a bigger and well-deserved pay day. I am not giving up hope on Latimer yet, but adding another talent to help out our offense is beyond a must. Mike Thomas is no Sterling Shepard in terms of separation on the short to intermediate routes, but I could see him getting even better over time and with the ability to play slot as well. Watch out for this kid.

6c. Tyler Johnstone OT Oregon
Left tackle prospects are normally first rounders, and maybe I am dreaming having him last this long, but Johnstone is one of my favorite left tackles in the draft. He has, however, suffered multiple serious injuries which does push him down in the draft. Denver does have tackle depth, but I don’t see many left tackles outside of Okung. Johnstone is a great athlete with length and athleticism to handle LT in a zone scheme. He does need to work on his footwork and add strength, but luckily grabbing him down here means we will have time to develop him. Could be a steal if he can stay healthy.

7i. Peyton Barber RB Auburn
In the ZBS, running backs are more about plug and play then finding a stud. Denver also just dished out good money to CJ Anderson, so I don’t expect them to use a premium draft pick on a running back. Peyton Barber is a strong, stout back with good vision and lateral agility. While he won’t break off many huge runs, he won’t have many negative runs as well and always tends to lean forward. Also love the story with this kid and his desire to be great. He left school early to earn income to home his homeless mother. I think Denver will bring in another FA back on the cheap to compete with the backup, but adding a solid back who fits the ZBS scheme late is a good decision.

7ii. Terrance Smith LB Florida St
Smith was one of the better-tested athletes at the combine at the LB position this year. Has good size and length and speed and could be a better pro than college player. Has a lot of work to do in terms of read and react and understanding what it takes to be a linebacker, but he is a 7th rounder, so you can’t expect perfection. At worst, he is a solid special teams contributor during his career, but given Denver’s propensity to draft late athletic lbs and turn them into great players, I wouldn’t sleep on any late athletic LB eventually becoming a solid player for Denver.

7iii. DeAndre Elliot S/CB Colorado St
Again, this is about projection. Elliot is long with great agility. He never seemed to make it onto the field for CSU at CB, but he has the tools that warrant a selection late in the draft. I believe his best fit is at safety given he has a tendency to get burnt because he lacks the hip fluidity to turn and tail a WR, but could be a great player at safety. He doesn’t shy away from contact and is a decent athlete, especially given his size. Again, at the 7th round, a solid special team’s contributor isn’t the worst, but I believe this kid has a chance to be a solid rotational secondary player. Hopefully Kayvon’s replacement for 2017.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well decided I would follow suit then and post a Mock Draft I just did. Now given I used Fanspeak's Ontheclock with the premium ability and I think it was the CBS Big Board for this one.

I ended up trading back to the 5th pick in the 2nd round and picking up 2 4th round picks since we have traded some of those mid to late round picks lately.

2nd--Connor Cook. This was a big reason I did this is I do think we go QB in the 1st. I look at our Cap situation even with cutting Clady and am struggling to see how we come up with a contract with Kaepernick and bring in all of our draft picks. So I see us going to the draft and beyond the 1st 2 guys Cook is the most pro ready guy in this draft. I think he would do well with Kubiak's system and has played a great deal from under Center so don't have to teach him everything that most Rookie QB's have to learn.

2nd--Hunter Henry. I was planning DL for this pick but he was sitting there and as said above I do think we go TE earlier than people think. Gives us a great tandem with Henry and Hueurman to grow with our rookie QB. Both offer good overall ability as both blockers and receivers.

3rd Connor McGovern. OL was disappearing quickly of anybody that I liked and this guy fits our system well.

3rd (comp pick) Joe Haeg. Started at both RT and LT in college. Has very good athleticism and a body that can add more muscle. He needs at least a year in an NFL weight room but he isn't a guy we are asking to start day 1 either. He is a project with a lot of things to work on but a guy that could pay off a year or two down the road.

4th Sheldon Day. My biggest worry with him is that he has maximized his ability in college. He fits what Elway loves though of a very productive player as he did make it on the 1st team All American team. Has a great first step to disrupt plays in the backfield yet has surprising power and technique to fight off double teams. He will also be a guy that Kollar loves as he uses his hands better than anybody in this draft on the DL. He also has an incredible motor. He never stops moving. Saw him on lots of occasions 20-25 yards down the field still trying to make a play.

4th--CJ Prosise. Quickly becoming one of my favorite RB's. Very raw for the position and might need a year but has some of the higher upside of the guys beyond round 2. Very good size/speed/power combination. Averaged 6.6 yards per carry and also showed to be a decent/good receiver out of the backfield. Actually as a RB he averaged 17.8 yards per catch which is unheard of for a RB. Also a great 1-cut RB that shows patience then hits the hole hard when it opens up.

4th Cyrus Jones. Had very good production in college. Has decent speed and coverage ability. Maybe more so than that he offers a lot to this team as a punt returner. One of if not the top punt returner in college football this past year. So gives us lots of options and Elway loves versatile players.

5th Graham Glasgow. Maybe not the best scheme fit but offers versatility on all the inside OL positions. A little slower than you like for the ZBS but I think some time learning technique to better maximize his abilities would do wonders for this kid.

6th Anthony Zettel. Adds to our DL depth. Small for the position but the dude gives maximum effort every single play. Actually had very good production in college but is just a man without a position. Probably goes to the Practice Squad year one in the hopes of seeing how he can develop and see if maybe he can put on 10-15 lbs and then compete the next year to add to our DL rotation.

7th Michael Thomas. Seems to be a theme in these late rounds of guys who just outwork everybody. One of those guys that with some of his lack of athleticism shouldn't be able to do the things he does but he does. Sometimes guys are just great football players but maybe not the best athletes. This would be a great locker room guy that could even push some of the veterans to put in some more effort. Hate to see a 7th round guy outwork you every day in practice.

7th Nick O'Toole. Figured we will try to get a punter maybe with one of these late rounds. Guy has been a very productive punter for the last couple of years and I think he would do well in the Mile High. Plus already has an awesome nickname because of his handlebar mustache. They call him "Boomstache"

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love fanspeak but it gives me unrealistic hope ha one time i was able to take carson wentz at 31

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it for the most part @cdumler7 ! i don't know if day has the length necessary to play 5 tech. Might get eaten up by tackles. also i was actually less impressed with hunter henry than austin hooper (if he still were available).

i like procise the athlete, but man i worry about that vision. vision is so important to zbs backs. he seems to dance behind the line and doesn't see the holes develop. I know he is raw and the tools are marvelous, but its so important to have decisive runners in this scheme

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just did a fanspeak (not premium) i would poo myself with happiness (as would @Draft Crazy ) with this draft haha
1. Jack Conklin
2. Chris Jones
3. Devontae Booker
3c. Christian Westerman
4c. Dak Prescott
5. Tyler Higbee
6c. Justin Simmons
7i. Travis Feeney
7ii. Mike Thomas
7iii. Joel Heath

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it for the most part @cdumler7 ! i don't know if day has the length necessary to play 5 tech. Might get eaten up by tackles. also i was actually less impressed with hunter henry than austin hooper (if he still were available).

i like procise the athlete, but man i worry about that vision. vision is so important to zbs backs. he seems to dance behind the line and doesn't see the holes develop. I know he is raw and the tools are marvelous, but its so important to have decisive runners in this scheme

It is true Fanspeak does have some players fall that usually would not. Still it gives a somewhat more realistic idea than what most fans post. I've seen so many mock drafts where a fan will have 4 guys that are all projected to go in the 1st round for the 1st 4 picks. So it at least eliminates some of that.

As for Henry or Hooper I like both of them. I think Henry has the higher upside and better day 1 ability. Hooper looks like a bit of a project.

I guess with Procise I view it as I like the guys we have with Anderson, Thompson, and Bibbs. So if Procise needs a year to develop I think we can handle that. His upside though I think is some of the best of any of the RB's in this draft. Yes vision is somewhat a problem but have to remember this past year was his first year at the position. So for him to be as productive as he was is just down right impressive.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is true Fanspeak does have some players fall that usually would not. Still it gives a somewhat more realistic idea than what most fans post. I've seen so many mock drafts where a fan will have 4 guys that are all projected to go in the 1st round for the 1st 4 picks. So it at least eliminates some of that.

As for Henry or Hooper I like both of them. I think Henry has the higher upside and better day 1 ability. Hooper looks like a bit of a project.

I guess with Procise I view it as I like the guys we have with Anderson, Thompson, and Bibbs. So if Procise needs a year to develop I think we can handle that. His upside though I think is some of the best of any of the RB's in this draft. Yes vision is somewhat a problem but have to remember this past year was his first year at the position. So for him to be as productive as he was is just down right impressive.

ha this is true... i try to be realistic

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha this is true... i try to be realistic

From what I could tell in your mock you did a great job of that. Wasn't trying to say you were not being in yours. Was just saying why I used Fanspeak so that it wouldn't be quite as obvious that some players would fall like 2-3 rounds beyond what most think.