• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Osweiler Signs with Texans

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Osweiler realized just how rare of a situation he was in.

He goes from a the top defensive team, a defense that has lost some very good parts, to the third best defense with a better RB & WR.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes true but he is not half bad with the training and experience he has gotten the last few years under McCarthy's QB school and learning from Rodgers and the Pack will let him go with the way Hundley played last preseason.

And that worked out perfectly for Matt Flynn. Maybe Scott's better, but I'd prefer my team not take a shot on a guy that's completely unproven.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, there is plenty of evidence that OZ is better than the QBs already on their roster. Just take a look at the Texans' last playoff game.

The logic is that you have a top defense, a new workhorse RB, & an elite WR, all they needed was stable QB. Did they overpay? Sure, but that is the cost you have to pay when QBs hit free agency.
It was a lulz bad QB performance last year for sure but Osweiler's advanced metrics are all subpar

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly Broncos were offering $15M a year, and Osweiler took $18M a year. Broncos were also going to offer slightly more guaranteed but only 3 years from what I hear. $37M over 4 years isn't too bad in terms of guaranteed for a QB and Osweiler is a HUGE upgrade over anything the Texans have, on paper at least.

Osweiler could've probably led the same Denver team to the SBOWL considering Manning did nothing too flashy and Denver's defense was the main (if not sole) reason they took it home.

Houston also was not going to get anything worthwhile in the draft without a major trade up, consuming valuable draft resources in the process.

B grade for Houston. Even if Osweiler plays a bit lower than he did with Denver (which I wouldn't count on considering his division will be easier and typically players improve) it's still fine. Houston needs SOMETHING at the position to just get to the playoffs.

The Lamar Miller signing is worse to me. Yah Miller is good but runningbacks are like kickers/punters these days. They grow on trees. Zero reason to spend anything significant on them. FYI I was never a big fan of the Lynch signing either.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He goes from a the top defensive team, a defense that has lost some very good parts, to the third best defense with a better RB & WR.
I still take my chances in Denver. One of the best GMs in the league that actually understands the position you play, one of the most consistent and successful franchises in NFL history with a great culture and fan base, still a very good defense.. I'm just saying it was basically all handed to him and he chose an anemic franchise in Houston.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There in a position to get literally any QB available (who wouldn't want to work with D Thomas, Sanders and that defense) and they should go with a guy in his mid 30's who's never made the playoffs? I don't see it.

Fitzpatrick has always been one of the more underrated QB's in the league. He isn't top 10 or anything but he is a solid top 20 guy and has been for a long time.

Go look at his stats last year on the Jet's. 3900+ yards passing with an 88 QB rating. It is way better than what the Broncos got out of either Osweiler or Manning last season.

I'm not saying Fitz is the next Joe Montana....it is that he was and still is the best QB available this offseason. Bradford sucks. Osweiler is a complete question mark. I never considered Cousins available because you knew the Skins would tag him. What else are they going to do? Trade for Kaep or sign RGIII?

They are looking to repeat. He is their best option.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still take my chances in Denver. One of the best GMs in the league that actually understands the position you play, one of the most consistent and successful franchises in NFL history with a great culture and fan base, still a very good defense.. I'm just saying it was basically all handed to him and he chose an anemic franchise in Houston.
Yep. Yes, Houston offered him more money now, but long term his best chance of success was to stay in Denver. Maybe he'll still turn out to be a good qb in Houston, but he really left the perfect situation for him in Denver.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now that Houston doesn't need a QB maybe Denver can jump up and grab Paxton Lynch, Elway seems to be a big fan of his.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzpatrick has always been one of the more underrated QB's in the league. He isn't top 10 or anything but he is a solid top 20 guy and has been for a long time.

Go look at his stats last year on the Jet's. 3900+ yards passing with an 88 QB rating. It is way better than what the Broncos got out of either Osweiler or Manning last season.

I'm not saying Fitz is the next Joe Montana....it is that he was and still is the best QB available this offseason. Bradford sucks. Osweiler is a complete question mark. I never considered Cousins available because you knew the Skins would tag him. What else are they going to do? Trade for Kaep or sign RGIII?

They are looking to repeat. He is their best option.
I agree, I think Fitzpatrick would be a good option for the Broncos at this point.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a lulz bad QB performance last year for sure but Osweiler's advanced metrics are all subpar

Still better than what was currently on the Texans roster. And at least Brock has some upside potential. The reality is that the contract is short, only 4 years, and in all likelihood, the Texans can get out of it after two years with minimal negative effects.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lone QB on Denver's roster. :eek:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I think Fitzpatrick would be a good option for the Broncos at this point.

The only problem there is that Denver might not be willing to match the Jet's offer.

You really can't offer him a penny less than the Bradford deal and he probably wants more.

....but maybe he will take a slight discount for a chance at a ring.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least $3 mil more a season plus state tax savings. So the total difference could be more than $15 mil after 4 seasons. That's a lot to give up for a young player who hasn't yet earned much money in the NFL when the situation is that Texas has very good pieces in place & Denver's defense is likely to take a step back in 2016.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem there is that Denver might not be willing to match the Jet's offer.

You really can't offer him a penny less than the Bradford deal and he probably wants more.

....but maybe he will take a slight discount for a chance at a ring.
What was the Jets offer?