• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brent Venables

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean would you say Alabama had an NFL DL? Yet gave up...

31 to Arkansas
28 to Georgia
34 to Oklahoma
44 to Clemson

Under Tosh Lupoi/Pete Golding

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s in process, but we’ve got a pretty good idea exactly why. On the other hand, your defense only sucks when you face a competent offense. Which is about twice a year. Funny how your defense got abused when they ran into Riley’s buzz saw.
It's a lot to ask your defense to beat a top 10 team and top 5 offense when your QB breaks his arm first series with no backup and the only healthy running back is at 70%. Any defense in the country needs the offense to occasional make a first down and score at least once in 3 qtrs.

It's not fair to judge them on that game so I'm not going to do it.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude seems like a good coach with a lot of energy. But he went from facing B12 offenses to facing ACC ones. There isn’t some magic bean that’s made him successful at Clemson.

I feel like Venables has done pretty well against Big 12 offenses since he arrived. Pretty sure Clemson beat Oklahoma (with Mayfield one of those times) twice by a combined score of 77-23. He didn't seem to have too much trouble there. And I didn't see those elite offenses last year in the bowls (or most years, for that matter, since the Big 12 is fourth of the P5 in bowl record the past 5 years). Oklahoma didn't score against Alabama until they took their foot off the gas with the game in hand. Texas scored 28 against UGA, less than Missouri did (though I do want to credit Texas' defense in that game). Iowa State and West Virginia, let's just say, were underwhelming offensively in their games. TCU had an incredible performance, putting up 10 points on a six-loss Cal team (which was the second lowest points against Cal all year). I guess you can hang your hat on Baylor scoring over 40 on a 7 loss Vandy if you want.

Maybe, just maybe, these fearsome offenses you love to crow about are actually the result of playing against High School defenses? I mean, last year, 8 of the 10 Big 12 teams were outside the top 50 in total and scoring defense, and most significantly below that (but props to Iowa State).

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Venables came back to Oklahoma with Riley and was allowed to run his defense his way with the knowledge he’s gained he’d be churning out some impressive defenses. Probably not the top 10 every year like you see at Clemson but he’s consistently be in the top 25 or so and probably crack fringe top ten every few years. I firmly believe that.

That being said, we’ve got to do something about the way pass interference and holding is an isn’t called in this conference. It’s a fucking joke. I once watched a game where tech chucked it 65 times and got called for holding once. They’re not doing teams in conference any favors with the way things have gotten.

I really don’t see that right now. The way your offense continues to move down the field at a quick pace would still tire out the defense. But anything would be better than stoops for you guys.

I agree 100% with your last paragraph.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Venables has done pretty well against Big 12 offenses since he arrived. Pretty sure Clemson beat Oklahoma (with Mayfield one of those times) twice by a combined score of 77-23. He didn't seem to have too much trouble there. And I didn't see those elite offenses last year in the bowls (or most years, for that matter, since the Big 12 is fourth of the P5 in bowl record the past 5 years). Oklahoma didn't score against Alabama until they took their foot off the gas with the game in hand. Texas scored 28 against UGA, less than Missouri did (though I do want to credit Texas' defense in that game). Iowa State and West Virginia, let's just say, were underwhelming offensively in their games. TCU had an incredible performance, putting up 10 points on a six-loss Cal team (which was the second lowest points against Cal all year). I guess you can hang your hat on Baylor scoring over 40 on a 7 loss Vandy if you want.

Maybe, just maybe, these fearsome offenses you love to crow about are actually the result of playing against High School defenses? I mean, last year, 8 of the 10 Big 12 teams were outside the top 50 in total and scoring defense, and most significantly below that (but props to Iowa State).

I’ll say this, the officiating in the big 12 absolutely favors offense in this league. They don’t call holds and they don’t even let you breathe on a receiver. In my opinion they do it to keep parity in the league so a tech or West Virginia can occasionally knock a big boy off but it’s not doing the conference any favors whatsoever. They have got to examine it and change it. I remember Blackledge being flat out disgusted during the big 12 CCG.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t see that right now. The way your offense continues to move down the field at a quick pace would still tire out the defense. But anything would be better than stoops for you guys.

I agree 100% with your last paragraph.

You have to approach it differently and focus on turnovers and big negative plays. For that reason it would be tough to be a top 10 defense but there is no reason you can’t be a top 30 defense yearly.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he’s been at CU, they have faced OU twice (once in the CFP), and held them to 6 and 17 points. The “magic bean” is better DL talent.

People can continue to make excuses for OU’s defenses due to “facing good offenses”, but their defenses have been bad even adjusting for that. WVU was a good offense, but 56 points? That was the 2nd most they scored on anyone, and 4 more than they scored against rugged Youngstown St. OU yielded 40+ points 6 times in 18. That’s a LOT more than simply “facing good offenses”.

Kansas (hardly a bastion of defensive prowess) allowed 40+ points 3 times. Ditto for Baylor. And WVU. Iowa State allowed 40+ once. Texas and KSU twice each. TCU 3 times. OSU 4. Only TT (with 6) did do as often. Add in the fact that the best offense by far in the B12 was OU, and their defense was spared having to face their own offense, the “facing good offenses” defense goes out the window.

There is a HUGE difference between having over a month to prepare for a high powered offense and having 7 days. Seriously you don’t realize that?

Are you under some impression that I was pumping up the B12 defenses? Compare the offensive numbers of ACC teams to that of B12 teams all the while remembering they (ACC) gets to play one more cream puff OOC and then get back to me.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, I can’t understand how you can claim what he did against OU while having a month to prepare is the same thing as having 7 days to prepare. An lol at picking the small sample size bowl games. Half of WVU offensive stars didn’t play in that game genius. Texas scored more points on Georgia than all but 3 of the games Georgia played. An lol bragging about mizzou scoring one more point.

Here you are, pumping up a Clemson defense that faced 3 top 25 total offenses. 1 of which was the playoff game. Maybe it’s just the result of playing high school offenses? It is truly pathetic how the 14 member ACC faired on offense last year. Hypocrite much?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to approach it differently and focus on turnovers and big negative plays. For that reason it would be tough to be a top 10 defense but there is no reason you can’t be a top 30 defense yearly.

This, I agree with.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Ohh yeah, now it’s a party

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a HUGE difference between having over a month to prepare for a high powered offense and having 7 days. Seriously you don’t realize that?

Are you under some impression that I was pumping up the B12 defenses? Compare the offensive numbers of ACC teams to that of B12 teams all the while remembering they (ACC) gets to play one more cream puff OOC and then get back to me.

Um, no. I was saying OU’s defense is bad even when controlling for the offenses faced. As for having a month to prepare, BOTH teams get it. Add in that they face the same offenses year after year, and that argument weakens.

In any event, it is obvious to most people that Venables has proven Stoops was the bigger issue with the OU defense. And his CU defenses have been FAR better than OU’s over his time at CU regardless of opposition. Anyone with eyes can see it.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no. I was saying OU’s defense is bad even when controlling for the offenses faced. As for having a month to prepare, BOTH teams get it. Add in that they face the same offenses year after year, and that argument weakens.

In any event, it is obvious to most people that Venables has proven Stoops was the bigger issue with the OU defense. And his CU defenses have been FAR better than OU’s over his time at CU regardless of opposition. Anyone with eyes can see it.

Bullshit, that argument does not weaken what so ever. There is a huge difference between playing one team a month away and playing back to back top 25 offenses 3-4 instances during the season. Regardless of if you see them every year or not. Anyone with eyes can see that.

I’m not calling Venables a bad coach at all. I merely stating his teams at Clemson being better than OU on defense isn’t a surprise.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Venerables has been given an easy path to success. He has been blessed with an NFL DL the last few years. Funny how talent makes elevates coaches. I still think he is a solid DC, I am not so sure he is the best of the best

He's been Clemson's DC since 2012. If he's had an NFL DL the past few years it's because he built it

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been Clemson's DC since 2012. If he's had an NFL DL the past few years it's because he built it

Granted he’s in a talent rich area for that position but it’s not like he took over someone else’s DL. Look how much defensive talent Mike Stoops has wasted. Not Clemson level talent but a lot nonetheless.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not what your Basketball coach said on the FBI tapes, but let’s go with built

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit, that argument does not weaken what so ever. There is a huge difference between playing one team a month away and playing back to back top 25 offenses 3-4 instances during the season. Regardless of if you see them every year or not. Anyone with eyes can see that.

I’m not calling Venables a bad coach at all. I merely stating his teams at Clemson being better than OU on defense isn’t a surprise.

That doesn’t happen as often as you suggest. Kansas, KSU, ISU, and Baylor weren’t close to being top 25 offenses, and TT was held to 27 by Ole Miss (a godawful defense in its own right). Texas couldn’t crack 30 against Maryland or even OU in the B12CG.

Looking at conference offenses, the B12 has 4 in the top 25 in scoring (OU, TT, OSU, and TT), and the ACC had 2 (CU and Syracuse). The overall average scoring for the ACC was 30.56; for the B12 it was 32.16. If you eliminate CU and OU, the ACC average was 29.5 and the B12 was 30.4.

None of that supports the argument that the B12 offenses are THAT much better than those in the ACC.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn’t happen as often as you suggest. Kansas, KSU, ISU, and Baylor weren’t close to being top 25 offenses, and TT was held to 27 by Ole Miss (a godawful defense in its own right). Texas couldn’t crack 30 against Maryland or even OU in the B12CG.

Looking at conference offenses, the B12 has 4 in the top 25 in scoring (OU, TT, OSU, and TT), and the ACC had 2 (CU and Syracuse). The overall average scoring for the ACC was 30.56; for the B12 it was 32.16. If you eliminate CU and OU, the ACC average was 29.5 and the B12 was 30.4.

None of that supports the argument that the B12 offenses are THAT much better than those in the ACC.

Half of the B12 offenses landed in the top 25 of total offense. 3 were in the top 10, the 4th was number 11. Yes, Baylor was a top 25 offense regardless of your opinion. Stats back that up. I’m not against saying B12 defenses are bad, but due really should be given to these offenses too. Since in this thread everyone wants to deep throat the Clemson defense.

Use total offense, half of the B12 is in the top 25. The ACC doesn’t have half their offenses in the top 50. But yeah, way to cherry pick numbers that still cite the B12 offense we’re better than the ACC garbage. While again you aren’t accounting for that extra shit OOC game each ACC member receives. Although props to Clemson for scheduling someone worth a damn and not some horrid G5 puff. B12 offense are that much better than ACC offenses.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give an opinion on him. (I'll have to explain my reasoning in advance).

I thought he was either overrated or underrated when he was at OU. He was both because I always believed
Bob Stoops ran that defense.

I think Venables learned from Stoops but I/we never got to see the real him. He had to do things that he may not
have liked but was demanded by Stoops from him. There is a reason why English Teachers don't teach History.

At Clemson he has been on his own. Dabo doesn't know anything about defense. Hell, when Dabo got there
he didn't really know anything about Offense until he learned it from Morris.

But to their crdit they got time to learn and are probably about as good as it gets right now. They've both adapted
nicely to a changing game.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach V has been worth every penny since he got at Clemson. When you look back when the Clemson football program started to get things turn around and gain momentum in 2012. Who was the main hire at that time? Coach Venables

When he got the chance to take Full Control of a defense just look at the results.
Clemson Defense S&P Rankings:
2011: #69
2012: #47 (His first year at Clemson)
2013: #19
2014: #3

At this point he's the best coordinator in CFB